Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Drove to Grants Pass and got a deal on a set of only slightly used tires, same size as I have now.

If you are not familiar with my struggle with the whole Larger wheels/rims/adapters/drilling holes in rims/drillingand adding lugs to my hubs/etc nightmare, I finally found my answer.

I don't need todo any of that. I found larger than usual tires that wil go onto my good 'ole sturdy 4 X 140mm steel star/poke/whatever Subaru rims. Maxis or Milestar !75/80R13's and 185/80/R13's.

This is really what I wanted in the first place.. The wholepoint to getting larger rims is to get bigger tires/wheels, and for some, getting bigger overall off-roading wheels and/or to maybe have a better selection of tires.

My Brat is going to be 'Street', So I didn't want the off-road look at all

I have a bald spare that sudenly no longer holds air, and one tires' tread is starting to separate, so it was becoming a shorter-term priority. I did not want to rush getting the good tires until I had other necessary repairs done, and had a chance to get my rims sand blasted and painted. Found an ad for a set of basically new 175/70R13's with the whiskers still on them for only $75, so I jumped on it.  I will replace/re-mount 2 or 3 of them at first ( 2 Rear and spare ) and work in getting them sandblasted and painted, then the last two.They will look good and last me more than long enough to get everything else done and then find the best deal on my bigger fatter tires at my conenvience.

Edited by Subaruist

Tonight I will be doing some graphics work, Designing a new "BRAT" decals for just behind the cab, to replace the original, and "Hot Wheels" decals for over the rear wheels, on both sides.

Once work is complete, I will be able to have these custom decals available for sale as well to us Subaru Fanatics, They will not be cheap to say the least, in fact probably rather pricey, not due to greed on my part, but due to the actual cost. But if its worth it to me, it might be worth it to others.

I want to get some feedback on what font might be best for the "BRAT" decals. I could go with the original, which I will as one version at some point, but I would like to maybe do something a little unique. The letters will have the same slant and such.

There will be at at least as an option, for the decals to be made reflective. and/or metallic.

How can I add a MS Word document to this post, so others can give opinions on what font to use, or to include one they may have as an alternate?

Edited by Subaruist

sorry, but the picture I posted was the only one of the whole procedure I took. Was using a buddy's shop so the time crunch was a factor. I will say that the axle pictured, the one that came apart upon removal has/had big time problems. Found the inner race (where the bearings ride) had gouges, chipped portions, etc. so I figure that had to be what was making the chatter. I attempted to " smooth out" the bad spots and reinstall it with new boots and grease. However, after 5 days of driving it I'm now experiencing intermittent vibrations, noise and general bad sounds from that axle end. Looks like I'm gonna need to contact Retroroo Shawn for a new axle.

I am sorry to hear that. I would love a thread on rebooting the axles. 

Been Having trouble with the lights on the Brat for awhile now. Seriously, i went thru everything. Last option was to start stripping the harness and i REALLY didn't want to do that. So thanks to a post by Demon Brat I hooked myself up with one of these!

http--,,--//harness_zpsbe180f8d.jpg

It works GREAT! Now i have lights better than ever. Only thing i had to do was rearrange the 3 wires on part of the new harness that plugs into the old harness. What I did for that was take a replacement light plug (dirt cheap at any parts store), Put some spade connectors on the ends, then plug those wires into the old harness in the order I needed, plug the new harness into that and enjoy some lighty goodness!

This isn't just a problem with the Brat, but also the next Gen cars (Loyale). I'll be checking to see if there's a version for single globe headlights.

This isn't just a problem with the Brat, but also the next Gen cars (Loyale). I'll be checking to see if there's a version for single globe headlights.

Yep there are wiring kits for dual single headlights, cheaper too! I have been meaning to do this too...

Chnaged out my fuel pump and ignition coil to hopefully fix the fuse I keep blowing on my 88 wagon. Those are really the only two major components on that circuit so hopefully one of them fixed the issue.

I cracked the fuel line that goes across the back in the process and spent a few hours fishing it out of the support brackets so that it would be intact to bend a new piece. I was pretty rusted in the spot where it cracked.

Edited by stratman977

Those seats are from a 99 SUS anniversary sedan. basically leather outback seats. The passenger seat was easy. Just used the Loyale rails bolted onto the bottom of the SUS seats. The driver side had the height adjustment so the majority of that stuff was sawzalled out of the new seat before being attached to the loyale rails. I don't thing the seat sits higher as much as the new seat has that much more padding to raise you up. Only wish I would have tried to take advantage of this to get some more leg room for the driver. Pretty sure I could just unbolt everything and move the mounting position back to achieve that.

• Like 1

I can still adjust the seat forward and back as the rails are the stock ones in their original positions. WIth the auto retract seat belts, you really need to reuse the loyale rails/seat belts. I reused all the trim pieces (side plastic covers with adjustments) from the outback and didn't trim a thing. Looks like it was meant to fit.PC081539.jpg

• Like 2

NOS Subaru XT fogs. Never installed.
Just a quick test fit and look see

20141208_192258_zpsd769019c.jpg

20141208_192320_zps598bf747.jpg

Gonna check how they look up in front of the grille next, and then possibly where the current blinkers are (in which case I'd re-wire the running lights as blinkers)

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

I think part of the reason cars don't have automatic seatbelts anymore is primarily due to the advances and overall lower cost of airbags. Remember, auto seatbelts were the option automakers chose between the two (air bag) because at least one was required and the belts were cheaper. I think when used with the lap belt they're just as safe.

To keep this on topic, I added a spring return to my clutch fork and spring tension to the opening of my throttle on the Weber.

Edit; typo. My car did not come equipped with a couch fork.

Edited by l75eya

Recently I've done... NOTHING to my subaru. GLs are great and run forever :)

For my outback, however, I ordered a lot of expensive spoob to do the headgaskets and stuff. I'm sick of that car being dead, it needs to be fixed, junked, sold, used, something. But sitting in the woods... nope.

I dunno why you guys in the US can't just put a seat belt on (like the rest of the world where required to do so) :P

I just married a Chinese woman, and she's only lived here 3 months now, and she's now reminding me to put mine on.

And I always wondered about how the lap part of the belt got put on, now I know.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-815426944.htm I really do not need another car, but this Justy is just so damn tidy, testing my strength ahah. Fixed a really bad wobble on the sedan today, front left tyre had gone FUBAR, ripped down inner side. Going to finally get my mags tidied and buy a set of shoes for her i think

Tom

6 month old Delco alternator just locked up on me. Overcharged for a few miles, seized and smoked the belt. Lucky for me, I just happen to be at my daily breakfast spot.

Been seeing a lot of failing alternators recently myself at NAPA. Starting to wonder if our rebuilder got a bad batch of components. Wonder if Delco is using the same suppliers?

I haven't checked any other retailers to see if they've had a lot of returning parts yet or not.

As for my 83 Blu Bomb, got him aligned and some fresh inner tie rods put on. Just so happens I got the last 2 inner tie rods left in at least a 3 state area. So apologies to any who may be looking acquire EA81 inner tie rods in the northwest. Only other one I could find was in Alaska :P

Also swapped my good tires from the XT to the wagon since the XT is still down with an unreliable fuel pump. And still really don't want to have to buy one.

Twitch

PS: Finally got another car home, and now realize I just want it gone, so if anyone is interested in a beater BRAT (and I mean beater body-wise at this point), let me know. PM or e-mail would be best. Btwitchy102 at geemale dot coma