Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ethanol Free Gas!

I don't know if this has been discussed here(I searched and found nothing), but I've been running ethanol free gas for a while. I noticed a difference right away the first time I filled up with "the good stuff". It is a little more expensive, I filled up last at $3.80 and the Shell down the street with E10 was at $3.72, but the difference is worth it. I've done the math and I spend less on gas AND get a smother idle, better acceleration and even better MPG's(3-5mpg's)...even in my Jeep!

Ethanol free gas can have interesting results in newer vehicles, but runs great in anything 95ish and older especially if its carburated, but be aware that you may run rich if your tuned in for E10, but all I've ever had to do is lean out the mixture screw a half to full turn. Fuel injection motors will happily adjust themselves to what they're designed to run on.

I encourage anybody to try it out, here a link that can help you find it in your state and area.

http://pure-gas.org/

Lets support these gas stations to make sure they don't go away!:) I only use E10 when I have to now!

Thanks for the link.

Iowa votes first so the Ethanol is mandatory now most everywhere.

They care about the first primary state. Not our cars, trucks, lawnmowers, weed wackers, chain saws, etc. Their answer is to force us to buy new ones that meet their new standards. Convenient - for them.

Here in PA they are also forcing biodiesel standards. Not quite as harmful in small qty's (other than it'll start to eat lots of OEM hoses). But atleast they literally aren't turning food into Biodiesel like corn to Ethanol.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Unless you're a corn farmer especially in Iowa or someone running for office grandstanding there.

I have always invested in alternative energy and related. CORN BASED Ethanol is plain old stupid! If you do any open minded research you're likely to come to the same conclusion.

Appreciate the post. Unfortunately no stations near me at all. But I've bookmarked it and will check back.

I absolutely HATE despise Ethanol. I have had it ruin too many engines in my friend/family network. no joke. It kills them off sooner than later.

Look where i am from.

It is the worst choice we could do, the industry pushes it due to it increases amount of fuel usage total....

IE get this. 28mpg on non ehtanol gas

24 mpg on 10% ethanol

20.6 mpg on 15% ethanol.

You have less power, it pollutes more out the tailpipe, and it uses up WATER resources to make the crap.

People will also see food prices soar due to ethanol bills. Corn flakes will cost triple, soda pop (i know i don't touch that stuff) will increase by double price. Your everyday grocery bill will increase if they push this junk. My old SVX owners mnual said strictly do not use ethanol in that high performance engine. I wish i could kill the ethanol bill and those on board. Even NASCAR is going to it and admitting in public it has caused their gas milage mathematics to go haywire. IT IS BAD BAD BAD>

IMGA0825.jpg?t=1301364502

IMGA0826.jpg?t=1301364502

this was a NICE site when i went to OKC for a trip last year. Wish Wish wish wish wish they would have that here.

Edited by bheinen74

I agree! Much better for the older cars. Two things I should point out though... You have four more years before a federal mandate kicks in and ALL states will be required to use ethanol. Second, ethanol doesn't pollute more. It's actually less. It does suck that we are being forced to accept ethanol, but we can't ignore the fact we are slowly destroying this planet. I'm all for alternative fuels as long as they are viable and effective. Take the Prius. Great idea, absolutely horrible for the environment. The batteries for it have the lithium mined somewhere in Europe. It is then shipped to a processing plant in northern Canada where it is turned into batteries then shipped back to Japan to be installed in the vehicles which are then shipped here. Everything within a 20 mile radius of the plant in Canada has been declared a disaster area. The released pollutants and acid rain have killed almost everything. Energy and pollutants released in mining and then all the fuel oil shipping the lithium, then the batteries and then the cars. It is actually twice as bad for the environment as buying a Hummer and driving it including maintenance for 10 years. This is based on overall pollutants, cost and resources used/destroyed. Just something to think about the next time some 'Greenie' jumps on you for "polluting the world" with your old clunker.

End of line........

If you take into account the pollution, energy, and water used in it's creation ETHANOL POLUTES MUCH MORE.

When you simple burn it it produces less than gasoline - true.

Just depends on how short sighted you are. Or better put whether a person is argueing one simple fact or the overall impact. I'm more concerned with the overall impact myself.

And all this leaves aside the whole disruption to all crop markets, and raising the price of food.

I could go on. But I really am trying to resist....

"Ethanol is not your friend"

It's a political statement really.

I have a observation and a question.

My 05 caravan was running decent but the EGR valve was acting up. After reading up on here about the gas MPG pros of using regular gas i switched. Upon the first tank of gas the van stopped working correctly. All the problems the ethanol was masking due to the bad egr valve came out when i switched gas. I had the EGR valve replaced and ran regular gas. Ran smoother then i could of ever imagined and ran like a new vehicle. The gas MPG improved but just the way it acted was better then i expected. Since this i have stopped using ethanol which i have faithfully used since i started driveing in 1995.

Now the question.

What is the possible benefit from useing ethanol to lenghten our oil supply. We are in fact running out, weather it happens in our life time or not it will run out. Could the future benefits outweigh the cons. We are becoming a throw away society so a fuel that doesnt allow the cars to last longer doesnt shock me one bit. Im just curious if anyone has anything good to say about the use of ethanol.

Ok, we need to tone down the political intensity of this or unfortunately it will get locked.

As for the link from the OP, thanks. I know where I can get good fuel now fairly close.

Your welcome! I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm glad I can contribute:banana:

Yeah, I can understand %100 the frustration with the bureaucracies concerning this subject, but I like the idea of keeping on topic:grin:. One way everybody can help the cause, is to sign the petition on the pure-gas website. Their goal is 10,000 signatures and its at 8,431 now...help them help you!

What is the possible benefit from useing ethanol to lenghten our oil supply. We are in fact running out, weather it happens in our life time or not it will run out. Could the future benefits outweigh the cons. We are becoming a throw away society so a fuel that doesnt allow the cars to last longer doesnt shock me one bit. Im just curious if anyone has anything good to say about the use of ethanol.

Ethanol just isn't a "green" fuel. The only good thing you can use ethanol for is:

1. Making serious HP in highly modified motors(which get horrible, horrible MPG's)

2. Getting really drunk around a bond fire with a couple buddys..take a swig and pass the jar on!

Thats it. Its benefits simply don't out weight the cons when it comes to widespead use in gasoline. I agree we're going to run out of crude at some point, but all ethanol is doing is side tracking valuable resources and time, as well as preventing a real solution from being discovered or used.

i honestly done see a difference in the performance in my ea81 with regular fuel but then again its a dune buggy and has no mile gage so the mpg its gets is really only a rough estimate. and yes i dont believe ethanol is pointless because even though we do need to conserve gas id be more worried about the world wide hunger caused by the fact that so much corn is being used for fuel. Plus it surely drives up the price of whiskey :grin:

So my 85 wagon may run better with Ethanol Free gas? is that what I am hearing? It will not screw up anything?

Ethanol free gas is "real gas".

What you car was made to run on.

If anything will help your car, pure gas will.

anyone in bellingham area find an ethanol free gas station? been looking around and no sure if it will say the gas is ethanol free at the pump if you have to ask or what?

Check the list, it says theres a 76 right in Bellingham that pumps ethanol free gas.

I don't know the rules/laws/regulations regarding what has to, or doesn't have to, be posted telling consumers whats in gasoline, but my understanding is that IF there is ethanol in it, a sign has to be on the pump letting people know. The cashier may know too.

Hmmm, well, I have found a contradictory result in some vehicles, such as my

BRAT.

If I get the E10 mid-grade stuff, my fuel mileage goes up 2-3 mpg.

But, it did have a fairly fresh carb on it when I bought it.

I have also found a bump in fuel mileage in my 90 Lego of 2-4 mpg (depending

on driving conditions) when using E10 mid-grade (this was before my rings

imploded).

I have used E10 for a while, and have yet to see and negative consequences from it, other than slightly reduced mpg's from just using regular E10.

Twitch