Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sometimes you have to laugh or else you would cry...

So I go to refit the new subframes and two of the holes (rearmost) are off by 1/2 inch exactly in the same direction. So I measured something wrong, not a big deal. I mark off the area that needs to be cut and because of the fact that a hole needs to be ovaled the drill press just won't fit the job. So I zip over to the welding/machine shop (40 mile trip) and get them to plasma cut the circles EXACTLY where I marked them. I get home and to my surprise the ovals are running the wrong direction, because I marked them upside down when they were on the truck. Too late to get it re-cut because I have to leave for work. Another day wasted, meaning that I won't have the lift complete by my next 4 days off, which pushes the tcase and shafts back as well. Meaning I won't be done by the first week in April as it looked like I might.

This is how days turn into weeks.

My project is the same way.

The latest problem is I bought a clutch disc for an XT which always has a Single Range trans and I need a dual range disc because the inner spring plate is egg shaped and doesnt clear the inner ring on the pressure plate. So I have to exchange the disc that I bought 125 miles away from here and order another one that of course is more expensive.

My project car (83 Turbowagon) is in no way reinventing the wheel but I am combining a bunch of theories about what will and will not work together to build it and not every theory has been right so far.

My goal for completion is the Midwest Meet. Im a car title and a lot of work away from making that goal. Best of luck to you on yours!

"its ok its not rocket science."

I wish to hell it were because no B.S., that just happens to be my job.

"4 days off? how many on? sounds like a good size weekend. that sounds like 4 BBQ days in a row"

We work 4 on and 4 off with 2 sets of mirrored crews in the Mission Control center. You would be surprised at how easily 4 solid days off on paper translates into only about 6 hours of solid work.

dont ask miles he is a bit sensitive about that.

subaru brat - I rembered your job from when we had that topic in the OT fourm. just giving you a hard time. mabey a good reason to buy your own plasma cutter:brow:

I want one in my shop someday.

I hear you about the days off and getting stuff acomplished. but then again if I we not sitting here I might be doing something that needs to be done.:rolleyes:

i have been trying to get my off-roader suby running for weeks now. it is beginning to look like it never will:mad: as soon as i fix one thing, something else is breaking. i guess thats what happens when a car sits in the weeds for 8 years.

Had to make another trip to see the plasma cutter and the subframes are on the truck as of now. Tommorow I have only about an hour to work so I plan to get the strut tops pulled and begin to weld their extensions. IF I can get that completed then Sat. morning will be the steering and prepping the diff. I may even get the front diff mount done that same day. Then if I can get the subframes connectors and Tcase mounted Sunday the shafts can get done Monday.

Geeze, don't even get me started on that whole oops, thing. Lets just say I've been working on the same ford at work for 3 days now, on the same thing, the oil cooler, pulled it off twice now!!!!!

So, it happens. Heck, took me 3 tries to get a good rear diff hanger!! And my 4spd shifter, don't even remember how many times that took, way too many in my book!

Jes remember to keep cool about stuff, one of the biggest things for me is to just step back, take a deep breather, relax a little, then go back into it. Helps out a lot.

Be happy , your just Modding a known project.....

Try doing it all from Scratch.....Cause Nobody had Done it Yet....:) The OOPS factor Goes up exponetally.......:banghead:

I am Hoping to have My New Project Done in time to Drive it To the WCSS in August......If I'm Lucky, I'll get it Done in Time......

It Is Going to be Another First Out of the Mudrat Lab.....:brow:

Drive On......John

Seems to me if you turn the truck upside down the ovals should be running the right direction and everything should fit right?:eek:

Sorry to hear of your delay.

Mudrat,

Is this the secretmobile?:eek:

Glenn,

82 Summer, it is alive......

01 Forester, alive and kicking!