Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your Definition of The Ultimate Offroad Subaru.

4RnrRick

So what year/model/mods makes the Ultimate Offroad Subura? I'm refering to what people can actually afford and is realistic rather than what everyone just dreams about.......

For me I think a EA82, D/R 4wd, 3.90's, rear LSD diffs, 28-30" Tires, 3-4" Lift, disc brakes. But ER-27 or EJ power would be nice but probably break too much stuff.

The Ultimate Off-Road Roo is what ever you make it! Note the biggest powerplant or the biggerst tires or lift, its in the eye of the beholder. Like on this show about drifting on TLC last night, some of these 80's jap cars were destryoying the $60,000 built drft cars. But all just my $0.02 :D

-Sean

depends on if you want more than one person with you...

I enjoyed my 82 lifted wagon, but my Brat is more fun...

Hopefully my 87 lifted wagon will do okay with the set-up it's getting...

for what you've described in other posts, your set-up above looks perfect.....

82 Brat :)

82 Brat

5" lift

rear discs

welded rear diff

rancho shocks

custom exhaust/magnaflow muffler

ea81 with weber 32/36

27" BFG Mud Terrains

custom bumpers

winch

dual battery

150 amp alt

Lots of people prefer the ea81 for offroad duty, and I think I would agree for a strictly offroad car. They are lighter, narrower, and have better approach/departure angles, and you don't have to deal with T-belts. That said, I personally am sticking with my ea82 because it is my primary car for both on and offroad duty, and I like/need the extra space, what I think is a nicer ride at least compared to the ea81s I've ridden in, and I also prefer the way they look. The offroad duty mine sees is primarily snow, mud, and trails, where the larger body is rarely problematic. I also just carry extra timing belts to alleviate that concern. In addition, I am attracted to the ea82 because I like to stick with one model for parts interchangability with the other transient cars that I have, which tend to be ea82s. Parts are also generally easier to come by since the ea82 was sold until 94 in the US, whereas the last incarnation of the ea81 was sold in 89.

As has been said, it's really up to personal preference.

My ultimate offroad Soob would not likely be street legal. Not sure that I have the skills to actually build it either, but hey...not that it couldn't be done.

Start with an EA81 hatch. Ej22 power, 4-speed D/R (lower first gear than 5-speed), T-Case, 5.70 gears at both ends (custom made), 33-35" tires on Toy 6-lug 15" wheels. Add on a full eternal cage and on-board air and you've got the beginnings of a REAL nice trail rig.

I think Ultimate is a matter of opinion :confused:

If you factor in it's owner/handler (they do have a mind of their own) and their intended use and terrain your going to get a bunch of different Sub's all thought to be ultimate?

I like the EA-81 platform probably in a Hatch body (If you must have a body?):brow:

I'm not sure there is one ultimate configuration.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---body?...who needs a body?

01 Forester

Alot of people have their own idea of Ultimate Off-Road subaru. Most would like a Hatch with a 4" lift and it would make it almost anywhere. EA81's are prefferable over EA82's most the time. Then you get the extreme ones who want dual t-cases, 8"+ of lift, lockers etc...

I myself think of the Ultimate Off-Road Subaru in the same light as a Swiss Army Knife. I want more utility and useablility. I preffer to sleep in my vehicle, just enough room to toss and turn, with enough storage for the bare minimum onboard. Enough traction and low range to crawl through deserts, forests, fields... with a road, trail or footpath. All while keeping 20mpg +/- 5mpg :)

My next off-road rig will be sure to have alittle more power and maybe a rear locker :)

-Brian

Yeah, it's all about what YOU want your ultimate subaru to look like. I'm a Brat man myself and so my dream Brat would be:

4" BYB Lift

28x8.5x14 Interco Super Swamper TSL's

Stock Rollbar w/ 2 KC Daylighters

Custom Front and Rear Bumpers w/ winch mount, tire rack etc.

LSD rear

many more options to follow.

And I'm getting there too!:brow:

for a non all out big spending machine. preferably i like to play in the bigger rocks in AZ and up in WA. so full out mods is what i go for. that's why the one i have has fallen behind in the curve i want. and i am going to be making an even better rock beast. but for the app you are looking at. i have a couple questions before i suggest..

do you want the extra room of a wagon or compromise a little room for a shorter more agile rig?

if you want a shorter more agile rig i'd go with a hatch. less body between the wheels to hang up. and easier to fit around and between things on the trail. overall for offroad i'd vote on a ea81 hatch.

if you want the wagon. which i've gone for. you can fit a rig full of people, family or alot of camping gear. you have the extra wheelbase which as about equvalent to a jeep. if i remember correctly it's about 95 inch wheelbase. you can sleep in the back if need be. then you have the normal argument for longer wheelbase helping in some situations and hampering you in others.

personally for another not so modified rig.

4/3" pk davis lift. perfect height. the extra inch in the front helps keep the front nose up and still leave the suspension down and at the softest setting. :)

a 5 speed d/r! swapped in a ea81 body. the best year 5 speeds are supposed to be the 85 to 86. they had the lowest d/r. it's about a 1.8:1 versus a 1.6:1. trust me it's lower geared than the 4 speed. the final crawl of a 4 speed is about 20:1 while with a 5 speed it's about 22:1. which is a noticable increase in lowrange. also while using a 5 speed vesus a 4 speed you have more inbetween gearing. the 5th gear in the 5 speed is a lower gear ratio than the 4th gear in the 4 speed. so in all reality of ability to use gears. you only have a 3 speed with a 4 speed and a 4 speed with a 5 speed. cause you will never see that overdrive gear unless going down hill...

a Weber carb onto an ea81. keeps it simple and adds an extraordinary increase in power. this setup keeps it simple, and reliable. the ea81 is also gear driven timing, versus an inferior belt driven setup. one less thing to worry about breaking. granted an ej would be nice. and is very welcomed! but for simplicity's and reliability's sake the EA81! if you want to go a lot deeper into the subaru, tcase, yota axles and so on i'd go straight for the ej motor...

then definately a lincoln locker in the rear. beings the fact there is no after market support. you either have a lsd or lincoln... lincoln is far superior for traction! now you might say streetability... yes there's a simple fix on that. it's a lot easier job on the EA81 body style than the EA82 though. on an EA81 disconnect the bottom bolt of the shock. jack that side up. pop pins off of cv axle and pull out. about 10 to 15 minutes in or out. when you pull it out and have it in fwd. it acts like a open diff. pop it in. wa-la locked. if you just want to drive straight on the trail go with a lsd... a lot more likely to lose traction though.

then either 15" yota rims or pug rims. the tire of choice i'd use would be the Super Swamper SSR's. they come in a 27" for 15 and 14 inch rims. good traction quiet on road. little faster wear... but a extremely good tire. not too big not too small for the gearing. 28" tires are puching too big for the harder trails and 26's your wishing for a bigger tire. the tire really is a 27.3 something inches tall.

that'd be the basis for another simple style roo. that could conquer the subaru size trails. personally i'm sticking with my dual tase's! so many options. but the EA81 in my opinion is the far best for dependability fo a lightly moded vehicle. all my opinion and what i've seen.

oh i forgot gotta have that pwr steering too!! greatly helps! makes it a caddy subaru on the dirt.

Jared

• 3 weeks later...
is mtsfabmans xt6 the biggest subie...? what if their were taller ones :slobber:

It's mine no more...... I'm sure you've got some plans up your sleeve to roll up to WCSS7 with a beast even larger than the XT6 I built. Huhh, Huhh, Huhh?????? Don't keep us in suspense too long.

Mike

My ultimate 4X Soob:

A reliable ea81 with the 4/3, 27s, Weber and a LSD or welded diff. The 4 speed d/r is under rated, I love 'em.

Drive comfortably to get there, feel confident you've got a sturdy competent off roader, feel free to go semi hi speed while rallying the forest roads to the serious stuff, rely on it to get you home afterwards. Oh yeah, all on one 11 gallon tank.

Guess that narrows it down to one like the one I have.

I came up with the scratch Mike, got really tempted, just can't let mine go. If it's not broke, don't fix it type thing.

I came up with the scratch Mike, got really tempted, just can't let mine go. If it's not broke, don't fix it type thing.

No Problem Zap! I'm going to go ahead and register the car this week and keep it. It's really a lot of fun. Besides, I need a daily driver/weekend warrior while I'll build up my new beast!

Mike

It's mine no more...... I'm sure you've got some plans up your sleeve to roll up to WCSS7 with a beast even larger than the XT6 I built. Huhh, Huhh, Huhh?????? Don't keep us in suspense too long.

Mike

i have no idea what u are talking about .... :rolleyes: and ur new beast eh... ya cant wait till wcss7 :grin: only about a year away :(

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just fine with my 01 Forester, but it definitely needs a mod or two. I'd like a 3" lift, maybe some bigger tires (although I don't know if the 2.5L 4-cyl will handle it). Once I get a job and get some money, I'll call up Mudrat. I just don't want my parents to keep thinking that my Soob is merely a station wagon with 4-wheel drive. :mad:

I'm just fine with my 01 Forester, but it definitely needs a mod or two. I'd like a 3" lift, maybe some bigger tires (although I don't know if the 2.5L 4-cyl will handle it). Once I get a job and get some money, I'll call up Mudrat. I just don't want my parents to keep thinking that my Soob is merely a station wagon with 4-wheel drive. :mad:

I wouldnt worry about the 2.5L at all. I can spin 29"s on dry pavement with my stock 1.8L :brow: