Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

then you would be wrong, yeah i took them to school and sand blasted them. if you look at the pic when the one side is still installed you can see on the stut bolt it is still raw silver. they were pretty damn rusted, but a coat of duplicolor solved that!

then you would be wrong, yeah i took them to school and sand blasted them. if you look at the pic when the one side is still installed you can see on the stut bolt it is still raw silver. they were pretty damn rusted, but a coat of duplicolor solved that!

I really need to invest in a Sand Blaster, sure beats wire wheeling all my parts. I wonder how plastic beads would have done vs Sand?

unless you are blasting thin sheat metal body panels use sand, or glass bead ( pricey though) plastic bead doestnt work as well as sand, unless your blasting body panels and dont want to warp the metal because of the heat from fricion. IE; sand causes more friction than plastic

HARBOR FRIEGHT IT UP!!!

I have never used any type of Media blaster, so, how quickly do you go thru Sand, Beads, ect? I just imagine Sand pouring out lol. Suppose I should look it up on youtube.

ya it is about 80 psi so you dont even see the sand you just have to track the new shiny spot on the metal to see where your at. that sand blaster you picked out will work but you will have to use it out side. on the plus side though you wont have a size constraint. if you get a blast cabinet it will allow you blast in a controlled environment, other wise you will need goggles and a face mask cause that sand is like worse that aspestos.

Thanks for the info, I've been talking with TomRhere and he mentioned the same aspects that you did :) Thank you it will all stick in my head.

So the sand is as bad as the "Dusty Bowl" dust? Haha.. Am I gonna die of Black lung? :brow:

ya it is about 80 psi so you dont even see the sand you just have to track the new shiny spot on the metal to see where your at. that sand blaster you picked out will work but you will have to use it out side. on the plus side though you wont have a size constraint. if you get a blast cabinet it will allow you blast in a controlled environment, other wise you will need goggles and a face mask cause that sand is like worse that aspestos.

Thanks for the info, I've been talking with TomRhere and he mentioned the same aspects that you did :) Thank you it will all stick in my head.

So the sand is as bad as the "Dusty Bowl" dust? Haha.. Am I gonna die of Black lung? :brow:

pretty much ive use the media blasters like the one on ebay your looking at, if you dont wear a mask it is way worse that you could imagine, and the clean up is terrible. at least with a blast cabinet you can re-use the media. if you use one like that you cant reuse it unless your in a controlled area were it would fall on a tarp.

I have the idea of just using a metal box so I can capture most of the media. Tom mentioned building my own blast box. Seems rather easy, I'm just trying to keep size down, perhaps big enough to stick a 15" wheel in and that'd be good for me.

I also had the idea of placing the part in a metal wash tube and then blast, should work fairly well (Also wear eye protection and a mask)

I've seen inflatable blasting 'cabinets' - but not one big enough for a rim.

I'd think you could put together something with PVC pipe. No good for a shop, but at home you may only need to blast something every few months so, a 'knock down' unit of some type would be OK. Might even be some good plans around at instructables or somewhere on the web.

I've seen inflatable blasting 'cabinets' - but not one big enough for a rim.

I'd think you could put together something with PVC pipe. No good for a shop, but at home you may only need to blast something every few months so, a 'knock down' unit of some type would be OK. Might even be some good plans around at instructables or somewhere on the web.

I've actually seen one made out of an old Oil drum, Had a plexi-glass window, and rubber glove inserts, along with a Shop-vac hook up. Looked and worked pretty well. I like the idea of building one, I need to make my own welding cart as well.

22740014_prf_67012_pri_larg.jpg

Got that thrown in Ben today. Was able to get it finagled into the stock position of the old electric fan.

It sits about 1/4" away from the crank pulley, which I don't like, but there's nothing I can do to avoid that for now, so that's how it stays.

Feels great to not have to watch the temp gauge all the time due to no fans.

FYI, with an ambient temp range of 50-80 degrees (as it has varied from/to while the car was in a no fan state) our cars, with a fully functioning cooling system, will run in a safe temp range with absolutely NO cooling fans 95 percent of the time.

I ran Ben with no fans for the past month 1/2 and the only time he ever started to heat up was sitting in traffic or while driving slowly looking for parking. Never did he hit the danger mark either.

Decarbonized the engine using distilled water and a squirt bottle (about 3 cups through the engine). Throttle response is nice and smooth up to 4k on the tach now.

Bought a dwell meter and set the idle mixture "by the book".

Next up: timing and a new oil pump.