Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust-Free PNW cars- The End is Nigh!

Well, after my trip to the Hatch Patrol's Christmas tree run, I noticed a white crust all over the Beast from crossing the pass. Road Salt. All you in the Midwest and East Coast know it all too well. Now Washington has begun to salt the roads as well, apparently 2 or 3 years ago they started doing it on the passes. This could mean the end of rust-free older gen Subarus from this state, and that is a sad thing. Where's the sad bannana emoticon when you need it :-\

-Bill

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after my trip to the Hatch Patrol's Christmas tree run, I noticed a white crust all over the Beast from crossing the pass. Road Salt. All you in the Midwest and East Coast know it all too well. Now Washington has begun to salt the roads as well, apparently 2 or 3 years ago they started doing it on the passes. This could mean the end of rust-free older gen Subarus from this state, and that is a sad thing. Where's the sad bannana emoticon when you need it :-\

-Bill

Just need to stay out of Seattle and off the Passes during Winter.

Wash your underbody about every 2 weeks just to be safe.

A lot of the older Legacy's that are coming on the market now for a good price are coming from Seattle. There is no escaping it. In a few years,we'll all be feeling the effects of it.

Enjoy your rust free 20/30 yr old cars now, 'cause it's just a matter of time.

This IS sad.

Take it from a guy that lives right in the rust belt of the northeast... :-\

Gen 2 brats, wagons and hatchbacks were last spotted around here circa 1993.

Nowadays, locals see my 1992 Loyale and say "wow.... thats the oldest subaru Ive ever seen! "

Washing helps, but only adds about 2 more years of life. The only way to save your sube is to not drive it in the salt. :mad:

Nowadays, locals see my 1992 Loyale and say "wow.... thats the oldest subaru Ive ever seen! "

I've seen '98 outbacks from Boston that look worse than my '76 pickup truck from WA.

Here in Colorado, the mag cloride is not only starting to rust out the cars, but it's killing all the trees along the roads too... they claim it doesn't, but all the trees on the downhill side of the road starting to die about two years after they start using it is kind of suspicious if you ask me.....

I was headed to work two nights ago and I see all this white stuff on the state roads.....As i'm driving through it, I think to myself....hmm...this is weird deicer. I get to work and it hits me like a ton of bricks. ************, ******************, ************ers are salting in WA.....

I quit, I'll just walk everywhere. This sucks.

-Caleb

You all should just get out of the snow and just move to texas and stop killing your cars. My car has ONE spot of rust, only because of damage to the inner fender well that left bare metal (before I got the car) Not another speck on the car. We never salt our roads. We got plenty of places to wheel here too

You all should just get out of the snow and just move to texas and stop killing your cars. My car has ONE spot of rust, only because of damage to the inner fender well that left bare metal (before I got the car) Not another speck on the car. We never salt our roads. We got plenty of places to wheel here too

Except that I can't stand temperatures over 70 degrees, and I love snow....

If they'd just leave the snow on the roads instead of de-icing it, and tell everyone to go get decent studded snow tires, it would be fine.

Here in Colorado, the mag cloride is not only starting to rust out the cars, but it's killing all the trees along the roads too... they claim it doesn't, but all the trees on the downhill side of the road starting to die about two years after they start using it is kind of suspicious if you ask me.....

This subject was widely discussed and know about within CDOT 13 years ago. There's nothing suspicious about mag chloride. The slat rats that's moved there from Calfornia and Texas must have the highways clear so they can safely travel the speed limit to the slopes. Big business dictates what's used.

on the passes its sprayed i think its the mag cloride and the lower areas both state and county is straight salt they say the sand is killing fish which is weird never see any fish in the ditch and yes it kills the trees lining the highway if you watch as you drive you'll notice its dead as far as the plows can shoot it sucks bad as a pass veteran working there for past 14 years i really miss sanding of the roads i'd take a chipped windsheild anyday over rought it really likes eating brakes like you can't believe

I was headed to work two nights ago and I see all this white stuff on the state roads.....As i'm driving through it, I think to myself....hmm...this is weird deicer. I get to work and it hits me like a ton of bricks. ************, ******************, ************ers are salting in WA.....

I quit, I'll just walk everywhere. This sucks.

-Caleb

Agreed!

No offence, but I'd rather stab my eyes out with a dull racoon tooth than live in TX.

WA has it all....and now including salt lol.

-Caleb

Theres nothing in TX that can compare to our wheeling, sorry :-\

on the passes its sprayed i think its the mag cloride and the lower areas both state and county is straight salt they say the sand is killing fish which is weird never see any fish in the ditch and yes it kills the trees lining the highway if you watch as you drive you'll notice its dead as far as the plows can shoot it sucks bad as a pass veteran working there for past 14 years i really miss sanding of the roads i'd take a chipped windsheild anyday over rought it really likes eating brakes like you can't believe

Holy lack of punctuation Batman! :eek:

man that sucks, i was always jelous of the pnw in that regard. we need to have someone start reproducing the old school car body's. or maybe some fiberglass parts like the Jeeps get. Granted it doesnt help ALL parts of the car. but better than nothin!

Mag cloride is some nasty stuff! I had put new chrome wheels on my old Toyota 4x4 out there, and within 2 weeks they started to rust. Ate the bed of that old yota all up also. Same with my Loyale. Front fenders are all ate up from mag choride. The under side of that car is in good condition though, from spraying oil on everything on the underside. Did the same on that old yoda to keep the frame from rusting.

Wow, you'd think they'd see what has happened in the north east and know better!! I hate salt with a passion, along with calcium chloride!! Yeah I have about the oldest Subarus anyone has ever seen around me. It's bad when cars that are 2000 and newer are rusting out already. Sorry guys!!:mad: I feel for ya!!

Wash it once a week.. get the underside good.. and oil it .. One of the things that saved the front of backwoodsboys 92 Loyale was the oil leaks spraying the front half of the car.

EA82 cars are self oiling. Atleast around the front. For the rest, used moter oil sprayed into every place underneath works.