Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If ya had an extra $500...

reseal the engine + extended tuneup, new shocks & struts & motor/trans mounts, maybe a new radiator. Modify it after it's reliable unless it's a toy.

x1...

EJ swap? I would save up money for an EJ swap if you actually want to keep the car. After lifting, you will want an EJ from what I have heard. So I would start with an EJ, and then suspension. EJ might be expensive, but well worth it. $500 is probably at least half of you EJ costs if you it right and take your time...

If you don't want to EJ it, then tune it up!

I would think you'd just about have to ej it to turn 27's. I'm almost 100% sure that in its current state, neither of my ea82's could do much unless I was going down hill.

I've long wanted to do the swap, at least get a wiring harness set up for it. I work at a wrecking yard I've got access to the parts, but me and wiring is like Helen Keller and open heart surgery LOL.

I would think you'd just about have to ej it to turn 27's. I'm almost 100% sure that in its current state, neither of my ea82's could do much unless I was going down hill.

They do fine with 27's. My EA81's with 74 HP will turn 28's or 29's pretty easily. Plenty of people do just fine with the stock engines. I've had my wagon on 28's up to 90 MPH on the freeway. There's been plenty of people that have put the lower performing EA81 into the EA82 body to get better reliability.

The biggest reason for the swap is RELIABILITY and easy maintenance. Power is a secondary benefit.

I've long wanted to do the swap, at least get a wiring harness set up for it. I work at a wrecking yard I've got access to the parts, but me and wiring is like Helen Keller and open heart surgery LOL.

If you can't do wireing then you shouldn't be doing an FI swap of any kind. If it's not done right you can end up with a frustrating mess at best or a fire hazzard at worst.

GD

^

There are alot of EA82s with D/Rs behind them turning alot more than 27" tires. Alot of the NWWO cars are EA82s, and they all have bigger tires than 27". Most of them have 29s, and a few run 30s around on the street. An EA82 with a D/R will turn 27s just fine.

^

There are alot of EA82s with D/Rs behind them turning alot more than 27" tires. Alot of the NWWO cars are EA82s, and they all have bigger tires than 27". Most of them have 29s, and a few run 30s around on the street. An EA82 with a D/R will turn 27s just fine.

+1

engine swaps are overrated. regardless of what the everyone says (GD), the EA82 is more than adequate for wheeling. and driving down the freeway with 235/75/R15's (30's)

Edited by Markus56

Thats exactly why I've never done an ej swap, I can't wire. Going up hills with 185 70 13's and it pings to beat all hell. I've messed with the timing, plugs caps rotors, vacuum lines, different grades of fuel, injector cleaners, sea foam, o2 sensor, cat, etc etc...when they get to 250k I guess you can't expect miracles LOL.

My newest one, also an 89 theres nothing I need to do on the body, 113k on it, one owner clean interior, had a rebuilt engine in it that blew up and got a hole in it. I've put another engine in it, unknown mileage from another wrecking yard, had compression of 165,169, 172 175 (or so I was told). Hopefully I'll finish the exhaust this weekend, and perhaps it will perform at a level that I could justify the lift and bigger tires. Hence the title of "If ya had an extra $500.."

Unfortunately I don't live in an area where with in an hour or so drive I've got SUBERSTUDS (like that word just made it up LOL) who know everything there is to know about subes to help me out in person.

I just have the forum, and a desire to tinker with one of if not the best cars in the world, I've only been at it for 3 years, but I love'm

Going up hills with 185 70 13's and it pings to beat all hell.

That means you need to downshift (subies like high RPMs!) and maybe go slower than the rest of traffic. Maybe advance the timing a little (do you have a timing light?) and/or buy middle-grade octane gas instead of the cheap stuff.

Dont think I can get a reman for 500, definately would if I could find one though!

As far as the down shifting, I can be going up a hill in second and at 35mph, it still pings. And I have tried different octanes, and every brand available in our area.

Don't have a timing light, but I have messed with advancing and retarding in very small increments till I got it to "optimum" performance (basically where it doesn't ping on flat ground LOL)

I wouldn't trade either of my subes for any other equal year car thats for sure.

I've got another spare engine that I actually heard run at our wrecking yard hear at work, had good even compression, I may try and learn how to reseal these engines, I would think it could be done for less than 500.

Dont think I can get a reman for 500, definately would if I could find one though!

As far as the down shifting, I can be going up a hill in second and at 35mph, it still pings. And I have tried different octanes, and every brand available in our area.

Don't have a timing light, but I have messed with advancing and retarding in very small increments till I got it to "optimum" performance (basically where it doesn't ping on flat ground LOL)

I wouldn't trade either of my subes for any other equal year car thats for sure.

I've got another spare engine that I actually heard run at our wrecking yard hear at work, had good even compression, I may try and learn how to reseal these engines, I would think it could be done for less than 500.

I have a timing light. I pulled back my timing to 6 BTDC and still ran into ping on the highway at near off-idle throttle. A carb rebuild kit and a fuel filter will probably take care of that ping though.

Well its not carb'd, but I have seafoamed in the tank as well as through brake vacuum line to get it directly into throttle body. Same ol same ol.

Needs a windshield, gonna do that.

Really interested in doing the 5 lug conversion, 13's are just getting harder and harder to come by, not sure if that can fit into the 500 dollar budget, but when I figure out how to do it, its something I'm definately going to do.

I've got a couple sets of 235/70/15's for my Nissan truck that would look awesome.

How much of a lift would I have to do to make those fit?

Man, doesn't take long to blow through 500 bucks once you start a wish list LOL!

235/70/15s

CAN fit with a 2" lift, but, as has been said 1,000,000 times here: It all depends on how much hammering you are willing to do.

If you aren't will to hammer the wheel wells front/rear, and don't want ANY rubbing; you cannot fit them on a 2" lift.

I wouldn't waste the money on a 5 lug when drilling the 6 lug wheels is so easy.