Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As some people know I got into a pretty big accident. Ill describe what happened around 9pm last night (feb 17th). I was going south on keele left lane, and there was a odyssey ahead of me in the right lane suddenly slowed down and pulled a u turn and I t boned him. He actually attempted a uturn infront of a island too!! I was doing around 80km/h police suggest I was doing less. I actually hit the side of his car and spun him around hitting the side of my car as well so I got hit twice technically. Other driver was charged careless driving.

Just looking around the car after we hit was unbelievable could never imagine my car in this shape. It looks worse than it is, rear doors still opened by handle, and driver side door opened but I was kind of week so I just jumped out the passenger side window. I remember people coming out of the nearby buildings coming out omg is the guy in the silver car alright!!!!!!! Im right here....

Another funny note accident happened directly infront of statefarm (my insurance).

183876_498809366198_515811198_6589900_6201460_n.jpg

183166_498809261198_515811198_6589897_3006273_n.jpg

180674_498809331198_515811198_6589899_1112148_n.jpg

180525_498809196198_515811198_6589895_5997428_n.jpg

Went back today .

180102_499247941198_515811198_6593406_5896030_n.jpg

182739_499248016198_515811198_6593407_1876020_n.jpg

Very important Thank God I was driving a Subaru! I am visually fine a bit sore mainly my left ankle for now...

Glad to hear you are okay. Car looks like it crumpled to absorb energy as it was engineered to do. Far better to replace a car, then repairing human body parts. I'm betting you buy another Subaru!?

Of course!! For now probably going to look into a 05+ legacy but I will eventually purchase another Legacy SS silver in very good condition regardless of the price.

I am so glad you survived. Wicked thing out of the blue. For whatever reason you picked a vehicle that ultimately sacrificed itself to save you from extreme personal injury. This is too intense right now. Onliest thing is ankle swelling. I know that it may recede and then your foot swells. You need X rays of both soon so one can be set.

Thanks guys getting checked out throughout the week. Found out today there is tissue damage etc in my ankle possibly kidney's as well because of other unexpected problems....

I will definitely be looking into another subaru preferably a 05+ legacy, but realistically I will be on the lookout for a immaculate 93-94 Legacy SS silver.

OUCH! :dead: That's painful just looking at it. You sure you're not having an out of body experience? Glad to hear you're OK. This will only feed my hate for those damn minivans though (minivans in general not just Oddessy's). I swear I see more of those things causing accidents than anything else around here. :mad:

What the hell is this two wrecks in the same day crap? Bad luck comes in threes, so who else got in a wreck that we have't heard about yet? :eek:

well Fairtax you're lucky it's minivans causing the accidents.... here it's dang SUV drivers think they are tanks and get over confident then end up killing somebody because of it. and on another note.... that sucks ericem if you had under/uninsured on your insurance a lot of times it won't replace your car but will provide you with health insurance.

Glad to see you're alright man. The car looks pretty good for the speed you said you hit him at. The back doors even still opened like they should, and the only glass broken looked like the wind shield. I must admit, it looked pretty sweet beforehand to. I know the sentiment of wanting it back though. Once you find a car you love, you want to keep it forever. And it only gets worse when it disappears.....

• 2 weeks later...

Geez - too bad you had to suffer at the hands of an obliviot drone. I swear some people have no concept of the importance they need to place on making SURE not to cause a "kinetic energy demonstration."

As the others have said - I hope your health issues resolve pretty soon. Very sweet car. I wish you well on getting back into one.

that will buff right out. :lol:

Ya I wish! LOL

poor Subie :(

funny thing is my battery was tilted the same way.. did your car leak any fluids? I was shocked I never lost any coolant at all.

Um I don't really recall, a/c condensor definitely leaked, and battery acid otherwise everything was still sealed.

Thank you brycarp !

Good you got out of it OK, hope the post-analysis remains ok. The pros and cons of seatbelts I think.

Good subarus have relative long front, at least compared to most european cars.

Curious if indeed the sunroof makes the roof less strong. It bend there.

I am curious the speed you were going. That is very very bad roof collapse. But the car did safely keep you alive.

most cars of this era i auction browse are no where close to this bad of damage your car shows. I am just not sure you were only going 50. Those cars, i always say are "tanks" I see cars everday at auction not near this badly collapsed into the roof etc. Glad ypu made it .

Edited by bheinen74

Crash comparison is very hard among cars. I also think the impact was not at 80 km/h. 5th gear (UK motor program) did once a 80km/h into a tree. While the cabin was still stable the secondary impact (organs with the body and seatbelt/airbag) was to high to survive.

You can see in the images the dash came loose from the firewall and the steering wheel looked moved up a bit. The roof collapse shows the car was at its limit of protection. Curious i am at the footwell. I know subaru completely redesigned in the 1999/2000 the side parts of the footwell preventing intrusion of the front wheel and pedals.

Remarkable this car was fitted with an airbag and that most likely was one of the biggest savers here. In europe nearly none of the first gen legacy was fitted with an airbag. Even the early 1995 555 impreza just had a steel steering wheel.

Also mentioned were the aluminium fender brace. In an impact like this they would transfer energy through the roof, lower frame and the doors. First gens do not have steel door beams to transfer the energy.

Good cars evolve to safe transport methods, however the more safe a car is the less safe people will drive.

I have seen a crashtest of a toyota yaris (viz is think in us) versus a volvo 940 estate at a 56 km/h offset the readings were lower on the yaris (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c28_1237212037)

I think it was good you did not try to avoid it and hit the car offset that would have been worse. All the best in recovering, insurance and a nee subaru!

Edited by rverdoold