Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where are the best places in the country to look for rust free Subarus?  I'm specifically looking for a 95 or 96 Legacy 5mt wagon.  pref 96 for a few minor reasons.   I've been checking portland, seattle, and denver craigslists almost daily.  The pacific northwest seems to be the honey hole but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a spot.  Also if anybody has info/tips/advice on driving a newly bought used car across the country it would be appreciated. 

The salt spread on icy and snowy roads is the main culprit for rust. Look for rust free cars in snow free areas away from the salty ocean. I live Columbia, South Carolina. Cars bodies here are free from rust and practically last forever,

I'm in Columbia , SC also... Have a few 30 year old Toyotas that have been here their whole life. Every almost every bolt can be unthreaded by hand after breaking it loose. Cars can last forever here.

california has a regular showing of cars - good climate for rust free, huge population centers and a reasonable subaru presence. 

i bought my 1988 XT6 from California and considered others. still has the original exhaust on it and my 2002 and 2003 outbacks have all had exhaust work/replacement.   lol

southeast cars can be from the northeast so assess appropriately. 

Columbia , SC ..  Every almost every bolt can be unthreaded by hand after breaking it loose.

I live in Wisconsin, and we can untread our bolts by hand too, except we need a 4 ft cheater in the hand.  

Edited by mikec03
  • Like 1

We sure do keep the heli coil makers going. Lol

Hey I've gotten some early 70's cars from eastern WA and Idaho. Don't forget western MT. High n dry. Pay the shipping. There are websites where transport companies compete for your business.

Or choose an old reliable like DAS , or other. Saves your time and money. Gas , road food , hotels ..... Easily going to spend more than say $800 or less depending on your location.

I will probably be driving something 90's Subaru back from the west over the next few years with my son heading out there. Otherwise it's THE thing to do in my opinion. And be aware how that rear rust starts and prep your car as soon as it gets here. The seam atop of the rear strut towers is where it all starts.

I'm hoping to run something early 2.2 for another decade or so. Yeah I'm cheap. Thrifty cheap. ;)

I 2nd Texas cars. Often, the older cars are so common and are actually cheaper as everyone drives newer, and the older ones aren't in as much of a demand. BUT, you might have clear-coat issues and faded paint from all the sun, so pick your poison as paint jobs can cost more than the car.

Also, Texas is fairly central in the US, so you could fly in, and drive it home easier than CA or AZ, and with gas being at all time lows lately, it'd be cheaper to drive it back assuming it's 100% road worthy. If it were me, I'd run up to an Auto Zone and buy fresh synthetic oil and filter, air filter, new fuel filter, top off coolant, check power steering fluid (if steering is excessively hard, it might need fresh fluid; mine was this way. I used a turkey baster to remove old fluid, then topped off with fresh, results were instant. Then 50 miles later, did it again; easier than unhooking lines), inspect brakes are OK, check AC while at it as it can be a price negotiator, and make sure tires have even wear and aren't dry rotted and cracking.

Reason I say driving it back is cheaper is because shipping companies are still charging pre-oil price drop rates, so they might be charging almost a $1 to $2+ more per mile than they would have if this was still the 1990's with same gas prices.

Also, if driven, get specifics about timing belt last replacement. If you change the belt and pulleys in a parking lot with basic tools, plus other stuff, car should give a good idea how well it does on ride home, and you should still be under what shipping would have cost.

Other option is borrow a pick up with a class 3 or better hitch, and rent a U-haul trailer in the state closest to the car's location. You could drive in, get the trailer, then head over to the car. I dunno if you can use a car dolly with manual trans or not? I'd recommend an actual trailer so the rear tires, bearings, etc. aren't getting a couple thousand miles of unneeded wear ;)

Edited by Bushwick

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Columbia , SC also... Have a few 30 year old Toyotas that have been here their whole life. Every almost every bolt can be unthreaded by hand after breaking it loose. Cars can last forever here.

This!

As a va resident I look for cars in (central or west) nc or sc mostly and they are always rust free. 

Stay away from the beach as the salt water from the ocean can eat them up too!

TEXAS!!! Have been here 30 years and have seen TONS of rust free car older cars. Subys included.  I deal scientifically with this 95-96 Imprezas and Legacys. Always looking to see what pops up. 

People here are spoiled and must have new cars, even newer cars get tossed. It's crazy. Just a very image conscious, SPOILED state!

Interiors can get cooked and clear coat/paint fails on everything far earlier than more northern states. But rust....nada. But BEWARE, people are moving into this state by the 1000s and along with them come their cars from the north. So check carfax and make sure it's "really and truly" A TEXAS NATIVE CAR. Dealer pass them off as TX cars. I once reached up in the rear shock tower of a Legacy and handed the dealer a big rust piece....I said...this is not a TX car!  LOL