Ultimate Subaru Message Board

top speed ea81 =]

Well, Arch said "EA-81 vehicle, not nessecarily an EA-81 engine", so here's mine.

Had the '82 BRATs speedo pegged, tach was still climbing albeit slowly. Never did max out the rpm's as I was quickly running out of straight road. Road was basically flat, small rises here and there. Don't recall wind direction/speed. Me, Wife, and Son on-board. This was after the Weber swap too.

I worked up an engine for a '82 coupe. The owner wound it off the clock so he knows it was above 180KPH. Checked his speedo with a GPS and found it to be spot on at 100KPH, but error does occur at higher speeds. For intrest sake, it was a 25/65 cam, Weber 32/36 (a bit small) and 9:1 comp. Lots of little things done to it but they are the main things.

In all it's life my 82 Subaru had never been over 72mph. However, before I parked it and converted it to a SubaruHummer, I took it out and went to 74mph then parked it for the last time. I wanted to set a record before retireing my Subie in it's current state.

The car is capable of faster speeds, however I never felt like I was doing it any favors traveling that fast. The 82 travels 55mph @ 3000. My wifes old 82 Honda traveled 80mph @ 3000.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer only been to 2nd gear as a Hummer.

01 Forester been 95 uphill..........

• 2 months later...

pure stock coming back from oddcomps on the 205 bridge (read: NO COPS AT ALL cause it's the border :D ) had the speedo pegged on my 83 so figuring about 98 mph with no shakes at all :D and still had room on the tach for more but traffic came in the way, the 76 with the EA-65 has seen 90 a couple times, and I won't say what the 04 has seen :grin: or should I? oh heck I should..... 110 and had to slow down for traffic again for that one and still had way more room for going till I hit the govenor that is :D won't find out soon though unless I get to drive like a maniac over to Hood River for the next rallyX :D that is

Hey,

since we are no longer "excluding"... When I was taking my old 87.5 XT Turbo to sell it to a guy (EA82) It would barely...barely get to 100 mph. It took quite a few miles, but I found the digi dash would go over 99. Right after I got my 6 rebuilt, well a little after anyway. I got it up to 125 with the windows down. Rolled the windows up and it would go 140, redlined, in fifth. My VW buddy got me a sticker for the dash. It's empi and reads something like "Warning: do not roll down windows in speed in excess of 120 mph." or something like that.

Phil