Ultimate Subaru Message Board

V8 Brat?

Hi Tom This is Jerry, yes that was done in 82 with a new brat. They stuff a 270 cid dogde super red ram HEMI with the 4 speed in it. The brat was for the quater mile race strip and poppin wheelies. The brat also had a cut down ford 9 in. rear end with slicks in the back. That was a fast ride. Thanks Jerry

Actually Lumpy ran a V6 in the unhatched.

I've though tabout the idea a couple times. Mainly cause a buddy of mine has a Rachero with that is the same color as my Gen I Brat, looks almost the same but bigger. Welp, thought about putting a blown 429 in there, and eating big inch domestics rigs for lunch at the track. But alas, I have WAY too many projects, and only one Gen I that I really don't want to cut.

This could be done quite easily with a welder at your service.... The rear end and suspension for a 70's Vega would work very well underneath this car... The rear wheelbase is very close, and the 4 link suspension should match up well. All you would need to do is remove the entire rear suspension from the vega, and weld it into place under your brat. The tranny crossmember could come too, but I'd recommend using a Turbo 200 or 350 (instead of that HUGE TH400) the 350 should fit well in the trans tube. You would have to have the driveshaft custom cut, but that's not that expensive.... And as for mounting the engine, that's nothing a little ingenuity wouldn't fix (Weld V8 Vega/Monza frameplates in, and lengthen the motor mounts) These cars are close in size to the Chevy H-bodies, and I have done the V8 swap to those cars on several occasions. I think a V8 powered brat would be awesome, and maybe only 2-3 weeks of work, if you planned it out well and had all the measurements handy!

Just my .02

Adam

Well here we go again with the idea of the v8 powered brat, i think it would be awsome. and i would think you would be able to use everything from the brat harnes to run the v8. so there wouldnt be much wiring, just use the brat sensors in place of the v8's so that the dash will read correctly.

But yes i have actually thought about it, wouldnt see it being that hard especially after doing a ea82t into a 78 brat.

Well i have actually got two wagons an 87 and 88 to do with what i want. so i was actually thinking about putting something into them but not sure what yet. and i have a 5.0 , 305 and a 350 vortec at my disposal to put into something. so i am not sure yet what i am going to do or if i do anything with them at all. like i said before i have too many things i am currently working on, and i have two that i have to finnish by the end of the month , one a 87 conquest with a 302 and an 88 turbo rx7 with a 350.

I met a guy who says he has a friend in So-Cal who has a V-8 Brat. They blew the motor and proceded to tear out the running gear. They used a 327 and T-350. I don't know/remember what they did for a rear end though. Became rear wheel drive without 4WD.

I have thought about adding an aluminum 215 V-8. Not much more weight then the 1.8 but heeps of torque and HP to boot. Very buildable power plant.

Well - It's not a V8, but my parents have a couple Ford's van's with some monster V6's - the one has a 4.0 (244 ci) V6 that can MOVE. Basically, it's a bored and stroked 2.6L..... pushrod engine with a timing chain (I like!). Pushing 155 HP and 220 ft. lbs. of torque. The engine seems nearly bulletproof - they bought it new, it's got 230k on it with fairly regular maintenace (maybe every 7k - not religiously), has never had ANY engine work done and will peel out on command. The low end grunt is considerable.... I would think it would make a nice swap for a t-case modded rig, similar to what Unhatched had at one point (Chevy V6?). There's like 3 million of them on the road - they came in Explorers, Aerostars and Rangers. Only bad point I could see is they are cast iron, and probably a little on the heavy side.

GD

suonds cool, but the 1.8 turbo brat, a few posts down, would still smoke your v8!_!

cast iron blocks are for suckers

I'm with him. Why give up traction and light weight when you can drop in an EJ22T built to 300hp and still have AWD?

4.0L Six.. psssh! I've got a 5.9L INLINE six :-) That would be a cool motor to put in a Brat, hell you wouldnt'; even have to lower it, just stuff that 800+ lbs of motor in there, it'll be in the weeds :brow: I say keep the soob motor in the soob, stuff the 350 in an old Honda station wagon, put a fart muffler or two on it adn take it to teh track...