Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sad day for nutt7...(more damage info)

the go banana! was :dead: murdered. A woman in an SUV failed to yield on a left turn. I t-boned her.

heres the story:

I got my parking permit and ID for school and was heading home on a 3 lane road (each direction). the 2 left lanes were backed up 10 cars or so deep so I was cruising down the right lane at 35mph (limit 45) since I was going to turn anyway. Unbeknownst to me, two cars in the left lanes were allowing a woman to turn left into a private drive. I saw the nose of the vehicle 10-15 feet in front of me and slammed the brakes. It was too late. I hit her at about 30mph, tipped her up on two wheels and spun her 120' while my soob got smashed in and to the right on the front end. It looks like God smacked my roo in the face! She was cited, I was not. everyone is ok, I just had whiplash. now I am waiting for the claims adjusters to give me way less money than my roo is worth to me. They are hard to come by here. I may not be able to get another one...sad day for nutt7 :-\

see the carnage here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3036

Gather up all your receipts, and get on cars.com, vehix.com, and autotrader.com and look for cars around there that are about the same vintage and options as yours, and take these with you when you talk to the adjuster. This will help you get a little more cash. Also, save that motor if it's got a cam it it! You can also buy the car back from them for very little (I think Mike paid like, $50 to get his back) and then you can part it out and get even more $$$ :-)

When the insurance company low-balls you, tell them firmly you will take no less than (Insert desired value here). They will say "we cannot do that", and your reply will be "Well - I've been having a quite a bit of neck pain since the accident, and perhaps I should see a doctor before we talk further..." - if they still refuse, then tell them you are done negotiating, and that you will see them in court. Chances are they will not go to court, since it would cost them more than paying what you ask. If you threaten litigation on them, they are pretty much screwed because you will certainly win after you show similar vehicles, and doctor bills.....

If you ask me, you are in a great situation. Find a roo out here on the west coast, and drive it home. We have plenty for cheap, and you stand to collect some serious coinage from this....

GD

Hey Nutt7 This is Jerry, i hope you haven't setteled yet because it wasn't your falt. When her insureance adjuster doesn't give you what you want for the car. You tell him or her fine then repair my car or i will see you in court. Tell the adjuster i have more time than you do, you are not going to screw me out of my car. Her insurance has to repair it or give your fair market value not what they think it's worth. I know it happen to me last year to my 86 light blue brat, it took the insureance about 3 months to finnaly give me my price. Thanks Jerry

thanks for the advice everyone. I have not settled yet. I talk to the people on Monday. I am not out to hose anyone, even though I am not a fan of insurance or oil companies at all. I want the value of my car plus some for inconvenience. I missed work today and my Dr bill was only $125. I may push for $2500. I will try for it. thats what I feel is fair. because of this I...missed a day of work, I have to go back to school and get another permit, I could not help my sister move, I will have to bum cars or rides to work for a week or so, I could not build a bunk bed that I was supposed to on the day of the accident, so my roomie and I are crammed in this room, my neck hurts, oh yes, and my subaru, with lots of new parts, is dead. shoot, maybe I will go for $3000 or more. this sucks

my settlement:

Lady turned in front of me, I hit her at like 10 MPH tops, maybe less

$1200 or so in damage said insurance company

They paid me off for $750 (hey the car DID have 286K on it at the time!)

I bought it back for like $45.

The title is now branded, but I dont care... I fixed the car for $30 or so. (bumper + touchup paint + a swift kick to the fender fixed it)

sorry to hear that. i lost my first gray turbowagon to an idiot driver.

you may be "entitled' to a rental car until you settle your claim.

go to the doctor and perhaps also a chiropractor soon. maybe you could get a massage paid for as well :D

you might be able to get $3k but it'll be a longer fight. your best bet, as stated above, is to find comparable cars (of the highest value possible) to validate your estimate of your car's former value. as you're using the internet as a resource, some that you find will undoubtedly be out of the area. the insurance company will claim that regional variances mean that prices out of your area are irrellevant. tell them that if you have to travel out of the area to replace your car, then they ARE relevant, and now that you think of it, if you have to travel, you want them to pay for it too (don't push it, that's just to scare them).

are there any car lots that sell a lot of older subies in your area? ask them if they'd help by providing any info they can.

you can always tell them you're retaining a lawyer, but if you aren't, it'll look silly when you don't have a lawyer's name to give them.. because you know they'll call your lawyer if you have one. mostly they're going to try to wait you out. good luck.

Be sure to settle your car and your medical bills seperately. I spent a number of years working in the medical field, many of which were spent dealing with incurance ocmpanies on this sort of crap. If you would like, I will give you my phone number and we can talk tomorrow (monday). I would really hate to see you get screwed over on this.

caleb, I would like to talk after I talk to my claims person and their insurance tomorrow...just to see what they say.

GD, I have an 88 vw pending a title, and I am borrowing a car for now...so I have time.

91 loyale, the radiator is busted and its resting on my pulleys. you cant turn the wheels or they will hit the fenders. I cant even open the hood (with decent force) due to the way the hinges bent its just sitting at a tow yard incurring daily charges.

Ouch.

Some helpful info. Being a insurance adjuster (for work comp) we work on a quota system. We are evaluated by the number of closures every month.

Property and Casualty guys have higher case loads and their claims are expected to close out in a shorter amount of time.

The longer your claim is open the more pressure they will get from supervisor/management to settle. Like everyone else is saying keep receipts and give a reasonable demand for your car. Don't try to get all this money for "pain and suffering" no one likes to be screwed. An honest polite approach is the best one. I am sure that there are certain doctors in your area that are prone to "inflate" claims. Try not to go to them. That will only make your case more suspect.

My general attitude is "I have no problem paying people what they deserve. But if they try and screw me, I will make things very difficult for them."

Hope this helps and good luck w/your settlement.

BW

To get your mind off the wreck and back to subyville where you need to be, there is a turbowagon up here that has a weak motor, how's yours? it also needs a rear hatch, it works just got a big dent. I think it can be picked up for cheap, its a 5spd and I think it needs one wheel too. THis would be an Ideal candidate for the leftovers from your car with parts to spare, it's white and straight except for gate.Blue interior, good lookin car. Buy yours back and be drivin another one just like you had with in a days work!! :banana:

luvmybrat, wyoming is way too far for me...I have a spare car and patience...so I will wait til another one pops up.

wjm, they said I have the option to buy it back for the price they would get from a jy...dont know how much that is, but I put too many hours into it recently (crank pulley bolt!) and reseal, cams, new shocks for the hatch (2days before wreck!) etc to just give it up...we will see. Their insurance also said I should get a rental...I thought that was cool...I go tomorrow to clear out my stereo and all that stuff so their 'total loss' dept. can pick it up

they offered me $475 for pain suffering lost wages etc., not including what the car is worth to them. I did not choose to settle yet...not lookin good...we will see.

I went today to release the car to the insurance co. and removed my stereo, gauges, etc. I noticed in the glovebox that the original msrp, addendum, owners supplement, maintenance guide, and dealer locator guide were still in there...good luck finding another with all that in it. I think it listed like $13k new with undercoat and all options. It was originally purchased by an insurance company and it died belonging to an insurance company...poor car.

a closer look after I bent the hood up with lots of force revealed the radiator becoming one with the front of the engine, the alternator and battery are now married, and a t-belt broke and numerous odds and ends bent or out of place. It may be not worth buying back. I did leave my vents and roof rack on though, the rack would not fit in the jeep. theres a nice blue one at the jy that looks like someone donated it half way through a head job...hmm