Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air filters? Stock Box/Cone/Snorkel

I'll let the HP guys speak as to what's best for intake setups, but as far as filters, I'm stuck on Unifilter foam pods. I imported mine from Australia to get the right size in the kind that I wanted, and it's been a great filter. They remove particles down to 1 or 2 microns where K&N filters down to 30. When I wash it every 6 months or so, a TON of crap comes out. Flow is more or less identical. They make all kinds of different size filters with a wide variety of mounting options. You can also get panel filters for most of the EJ cars, which may work in our SPFI/MPFI air boxes (are they the same size? they look pretty close).

One thing to watch out for: I recently learned that any sort of oiled filter, be it a K&N style or a foam filter, can cause problems with the MAF sensor on some cars as a little oil inevitably gets in there. Anybody have this happen on a subaru? Maybe it's just when the filter is mounted really close to the MAF?

I was refering to what type of filter setup is best for performance and 4wheeling. Not nessecarly that brands people perfer although its intersting to see what people like to use.

My wheeling can range from anythign from Sand, Snow, Trail, Mud and Puddle jumping. So I need something that will keep the water out but air in...... I'm also someone that doesn't mind putting a few $$ to engine performance even though I know engine swaps are where you get the best bang for the buck. Oh Ialso the trail around here are typiclaly tight and brusshing so a big snokel (tree catcher) is out of the question.

for street driving I have an open air filter on top of my weber, but for wheeling where there's gonna be mud, I have a snorkel that has a cone filter on the end, and the filter sits in the spare tire area.

http://usmb.net/gallery/album238/PDC_0077

http://usmb.net/gallery/album238/PDC_0080

I can't leave my snorkel on for street driving because at about 3800 RPMs the motor starts to choke out. not enough airflow. it's caused by my adapter and some of the tubing I used (probably the FORD piece :lol: )

I didn't think of routing the filter there.... Looks like a food idea.
"..FOOD idea"??? :lol: Sorry, couldn't help, as my lunch is ready...

BTW, your car came with a snorkel. It is what everybody tries to bypass with cones and airbox cutting. Don't know how effective, and many feel it is too restrictive (but doesn't sound as restrictive as current implementation of the spare tire snorkel. ;)

I have a stock air box with the opening to the fender cut larger and muffler/watertrap thingy removed. to be honest the stock set up is not to bad at keeping out water,mud ect. if I bomb a mud hole or two I find mud in the air filter.

snowman- I have run a lot of K/N filters and know about the oil problem you speak of. Its caused when someone decides that if a little oil is good then alot must be better. the oil them blows off the air filter and gets on the MAF sensing wire. now most vehicles have a burn off cycle(like our subes) that cleans any stuff that got onto the hot wire off. some others such as manny ford MAFs do not have a burn off. they have problems with out adding oil to the situation. but the fix is simple. just blast the sensing wire with a shot of throttle body cleaner or brake clean works too. this problem usually will cause the car to run lean to the point of setting 02 codes.

did not mean to dift so far off topic there sorry. if you use a K/N dont over oil it.

One thing to watch out for: I recently learned that any sort of oiled filter, be it a K&N style or a foam filter, can cause problems with the MAF sensor on some cars as a little oil inevitably gets in there. Anybody have this happen on a subaru? Maybe it's just when the filter is mounted really close to the MAF?

The funny thing is that the stock air filters ARE oiled, if I'm not mistaken!

never seen an oiled stock filter.

the oil only effects hotwire maf sensors(which is what most ea82s have). it has happened to me, and my borthers vw. i cleaned mine off, and it worked fine, he got a new part from dealer =/

i like the cone filter sitting in the spare tire area, mud doesnt get sprayed up there too easily.

those stock fender snorkel tubes are bad imo, we pulled the one off morganms, and poured out about a cup of sand and mud/rocks

for offroadin either run a k&n with one of the foam covers, under your hood, or make a snorkel.

I'm still looking for an adapter that will fit over my stock tray and then adapt a snorkle off that.

Any Ideas....?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--wants a snorkle real bad!

01 Forester--a snorkle would make people wonder... :lol:

You got a Weber carb?

http://www.carburetion.com/airintake.asp

http://www.carburetion.com/airintake.asp

(I welded up an adapter similar to this one)

If you've got a Hitachi, maybe you can get some ideas from the intake that I used to have:

intake001.sized.jpg

You're gonna think I'm joking, but I'm not.

This is an easy snorkel for a Weber and KNN filter.

Ralf thought this up for his hatch. Works like a charm. Water that would drip from the hood thrown from the belt after it goes under has no chance at getting into the filter. Water that flows thru the radiator can't get to it either. Very little water splashes up from the rear of the engine compartment.

The "snorkel" doesn't seem to affect the way the car breathes. I've used it a 6000+ft in the mountains with no problems.

When it comes to H20, the achilles heel of the ea81 is its front mounted disty.

You're gonna think I'm joking, but I'm not.

This is an easy snorkel for a Weber and KNN filter.

Ralf thought this up for his hatch. Works like a charm. Water that would drip from the hood thrown from the belt after it goes under has no chance at getting into the filter. Water that flows thru the radiator can't get to it either. Very little water splashes up from the rear of the engine compartment.

The "snorkel" doesn't seem to affect the way the car breathes. I've used it a 6000+ft in the mountains with no problems.

When it comes to H20, the achilles heel of the ea81 is its front mounted disty.

BRILLIANCE!!! SHEER BRILLIANCE!!!!

Take the right front quarter panel off to see what you can see and get imaginative.

I can't imagine how the car breathing its air in the fender would keep water out of the carb.

(sorry about the quality of the photo, it was taken from the tv as I played the video)

Seeing as the SPFi, which 4runnerrick has, not a carb, cars draw air from lowish in the front of the quarter pannels to start with, maybe making a straight pipe from the underside of the box up towards the rear top of the quarter panel and cutting some louver vents might help . If its up in water to the rear top of the quarter pannel, thats as deep as you'd want to go without sealing electrics and emmisions systems.