Ultimate Subaru Message Board

REVISED thread - Never seen this before!

Sorry for the multiple postings this week but this has me baffled! You probably saw my earlier posting...but I have some new developments I wanted to share because I haven't a clue about this one. Recap: 88 dl wagon - ea82 5 speed:

After driving on the highway for awhile and then slowing in speed, when I step on the gas the front left wheel feels like it is being stopped causing it to pull violently to the left. It shakes and shimmies as if it has a brick stuck in the wheel. (or snow) When I step on the clutch...it is gone. I shift to 4th and same thing. Back to 5th..same thing. It seems it only does it under power but only to that one wheel. If it were the tranny it would be both wheels right? It shifts no problem. After a mile or so...it just goes away. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT all about!!! I will be forever indebted to whomever can figure this one out. Possibly a prize involved! Also, took it to my local shop today...he drove it for 1/2 hour...no problems! Figures. Let me know. -Chris

PS - Here is the original post if it helps:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32552

A castle nut is the nut on the end of your axle that sticks out of your hub, it is exposed on the outside of your wheel right in the middle. That is probably not your problem but you should check it out immediately. I would suspect that you have a bad axle, a bad tire, something stuck to your rim, a bent tie rod or a bad balljoint. If I were you I would jack the vehicle in the air all four tires off the ground. Start it put it in gear and have a friend watch your tires both sides and inspect it for warpage, then you'll know what side to start looking at for problems. note: Make sure your friend does not stand in front of the vehicle because the car may fall of your jackstands and drive right over him/her. goodluck jm www.alliedarmament.com

What exactly is a loose castle nut/axle? and does it makes sence that it is so inconsistanly doing this? Or that it only happens after driving for a while? Maybe it heats up?

So since my mechanic could not replicate the symtoms, do I have to worry about the wheel coming off? He said "everything is fine" but it sure does not feel like it to me!

Yes, you do. The hub nut can be checked with the car on the ground, just remove the wheel centre cap and there it is.

I had the followin situation with a "new" rebuilt axle once. only 200 miles on it...

car would jerk violently to the side. felt like it was gonna rip the wheel out of my hands. as soon as I swerved the car back and forth it stopped.

I had both front wheels off the ground, and just rotated each tire by hand, while having it in different steering positions. the wheel should rotate smoothly without any "catches" or resistance. my right wheel had a little "catch" in it as it rotated.

swerving the car from side to side acted like it was "resetting" the axle joint.

turned out there was a problem with the rebuilt axxle, and got it replaced for free....

This kind of problem is very unsafe and yes you should be concerned. Yes it's true that when you had it checked it may have appeared fine however.... The syptoms that you describe will come back until the problem has been solved. It could drive you nuts if you continue to think about the frequency that it occurs so maybe put that thought aside and start taking a look at one thing at a time.

I'd start by checking cv joints... really inspect them close. torn boots? "buckling" feeling when you turn them? signs of greese?

I've seen broken joints come apart and go back together showing only a crack line when in trueth they were completely broken and later have pulled apart at the break again. If you can for certain rule out the axles then take a look at the brake rotors. Just a couple ideas to get you started ... Please post here and let us know in detail what you've tested and how.

NOTE: if you're going to drive this car it's going to be at a risk so take er easy. boing

I vote for wheel bearing. I had that EXACT problem on my DL right after I got it and put an engine in it (put an engine in it and drove it up to san jose like a week later).. First of all it would only happen once the wheel bearings had heated up and I had been freeway driving for a little while. Id be driving along, and on deceleration I would notice it jerk to the right randomly. When I got to san jose, the next morning I took it apart and looked at it.. There was almost as much rust and fractured pieces as there was a bearing (seals were toast too). Well I didnt feel like putting a whole lot of effort into the problem, so I went to the local PAP and pulled off a knucle. $20 and 2 hours later I had decent wheel bearings...:banana:

This sounds like it! You guys rock! I did grab the axle and there is hardly any play in it but I am thinking I will start by replacing the wheel bearing. The CV on the otherside does make a little noise but I think for now it is ok. So, next question, and good posts or resources for replacing the wheel bearing? I did not see any. Also, I drive about 25 miles to work. If I can not do this till later this coming week do you think I will be all right?