Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hummmm....What's up with this?

Sweet82

OK,

It was a teaser. I didn't put any details on purpose...

I just wanted to see who would pick up on what?

Yes, they are functional E-brakes, however this is not the intended purpose.

If they were to function as E-bakes only, I would have left them in the original configuration.

Because the original configuration is not quite as obnoxious.

As for one being a front and one being a rear, nope both are front.

What's the point?

I call it Traction Control

With the rear locked, (welded diff) traction & wheel slip, in the back is not a problem.

However Subarus have no easily available way to "Lock" or even limit the front wheels.

With Subaru having the rare feature of front wheel park brakes,

you have the unique opportunity to split the brake lines and control the brakes/wheels independently...

The Idea; by splitting the park brake, one can now control the amount of slip to a given wheel,

putting traction where you want it not where the tranny wants it... :rolleyes:

This cost me about $5 and took very little time to install.

The only down side I have seen so far is...

On a steep hill I have to use/pull both brakes to hold the car on the hill.

Depending on the hill, with one tire locked up, the car may just slide on dirt untill the other side is locked.

What do you think :confused:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--just a GL with a new body!

01 Forester--getting a little jealous.

Yeah that arrangement looks very familiar. And man I'm very envious that your's get to play on slickrock and all those Moab trails. I certainly dig the buggy and hope to see lots more action shots.

As for operating it, I did find the dual-ebrake a bit challenging but that's just because when I finally needed to lock the front diff, the trail was super gnarly with roots and all that and I was kinda busy driving. So I guess what I'm saying is that after messing with levers for a while an air locker starts to sound like a nice good idea. But it does do what it's supposed to and I would recomend it for the trail crowd even if you only get to use it on rare occasions. I mean of all the mods to car it was one of the easiest to actually do and cost nothing (thanks to Zap giving me the spare lever.) By the way, I had no problem getting used to pulling two levers at once for normal parking or releasing two buttons to take the brake off. Unfortunately my car has been in mothballs for a couple of years now but for the first time 'm really looking forward to going through the emmisions test. Wonder what the technician will say about two brake levers?

so.....how would/did you go about mounting a second lever in an actual cockpit? custom console like the buggy? there have been a couple occasions where that would have been nice on my '85, but then again, it's not lifted, at all, so getting high-centered was easier than it will be on my '88. But I might do it anyway.

I've been pondering the dual E-brake on my car. Only difficulty is making a bracket to attach the single cable to the lever, but if I got off my rear I could get it done. I've used the Ebrake to balance out the power when one front and One rear wheel are spinning. I've found that flooring the car while hauling on the E'brake will get enough power across to get out of the stuck spot.

Better watch out on sunny days, all that shiny diamond plate would make that like a tinfoil oven! Sexy though, looks really nice.

that's really nice. if you want to add an e-brake for the rear (assuming you have rear discs) don't forget that (I think tex or corky) found an exact replacement for the stock rear caliper, that accepts E-brake cables. what's one more lever? :D

I've been pondering the dual E-brake on my car. Only difficulty is making a bracket to attach the single cable to the lever, but if I got off my rear I could get it done. I've used the Ebrake to balance out the power when one front and One rear wheel are spinning. I've found that flooring the car while hauling on the E'brake will get enough power across to get out of the stuck spot.

I struggled a bit with the bracket too. The original system was designed to pull two cables and still allow adjustment on that center bolt (for tightning up the EBrake). When you try to pull one cable you run into a world of problems.

What I ended up doing is using two of the original cable brackets coupled together but hindged in the center. This allows an even pulling of one cable without effecting the other cable.

Ya...I could have just welded two brackets together but there are some problems with that too. You end up losing tension on the first brake cable when you pull the second because of a teter-totter effect.

The net result of using two brackets is it allows me endless adjustments without bending or stressing the adjustment rod. If you wanted it to be non adjustable then it would be easy to trim one of the original cable brackets to work with one cable and pull straight on to the cable.

For what that's worth...

Hmm, that's an interesting way to pull the cables...I hadn't thought of that. Any pictures of that part of it?

Here's what I did on my dual-e system. First off I relocated the original lever a bit to one side and to the rear by an inch or so. Then I mounted the second lever next to it in the space I created. To pull the cables, I eliminated the yoke gizmo and instead made two little brackets that are basically like a fender washer with forks sticking out to pull on the cable lugs. These gizmos were then mounted on the adjustment rod that used to pull the yoke. So now each lever has an adjustable mini-yoke thing that pulls on it's own cable. I have pictures of this installation somewhere but I can't find them. As for the center console, the one with an armrest had to go and instead I installed a low style console with an enlarged cutout for the extra lever.

or......if you want to get really crazy......you could fab up a single lever that you either pull straight back or forward, or move left to right to make the left or right e-brake engage, my dad did it once on his dune buggy, works like a charm he said. pull left, the left e-brake engages, pull right, you guessed it, the right one engages. something to think about........hmmm.....the possibilities...........

~Josh~

As for one being a front and one being a rear, nope both are front.

What's the point?

I call it Traction Control

Wicked idea... So when one wheel is up in the air you can just lock it up and drive onthe one on the ground? Sounds very useful... I was thinking of putting my "e-brake" (i call it a handbrake) on the rear, lots more fun then! As its hard to get my subie in a nice big controlled slide... Anyway, looks great!

EDIT: LOL, love the dice! :lol:

Ok, I'll try to find my photos or take new ones but no promises.

Another use of this system is that locking up one front wheel allows for some interesting slides on gravel and has also helped negotiate tight turns on trails. In some earlier thread on this topic somebody floated the idea of a joystick type lever to pull the cables. Seems like it'd be cool but I couldn't see an easy way to pull that off and figured if I was going to fab something that wild I'd put my time into dual R200 diffs with ARB air locks. That's where I was headed when I had to put the car in mothballs.

I haven't confirmed this with the ARB guys, but as I understand it, a C200 air locker can be installed in a R200a or R200.

I looked and looked but could not find my pictures of the dual e-brake installation and no digi camera was available to snap new ones. What I did was really simple though. I just mounted the two levers so they more or less lined up with the cables and then I installed a little fork like thing on the threaded rod to pull the cable end lug.

I haven't confirmed this with the ARB guys, but as I understand it, a C200 air locker can be installed in a R200a or R200.
I guess I have a phone call to make on Tuesday. :brow:

Outside of the EA81, my other passion is the Datsun S130 (280ZX). I've got two R200s and an R180 sitting in the workshed for the next time I blow up the 200 in the back end of the ZXT. I just might end up swapping tails on the Brat. ;)