Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whay NASIOC sucks again....(rant inside)

Man I cannot stand that site, it full of a bunch of ignorant rich ricer kids....for the most part.

Here is my thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10723911#post10723911

You ask a well written polite question and that is the respoce you get.

Any way, I contacted Cobb tuning about making programmers for our turbo models ecm. That way we would be able to re-map the fuel/air/spark settings to run bigger injectors, and more boost the right way. Ill keep everyone informed.

From what it looks like thaey may be able to do it for about $150-$200. Pre programmed settings you just pick which one.

Gee, it looks to me that they were trying to help you. Maybe if you took that chip off your sholder before you post, their responses wouldn't appear that bad.

Brian, just because people have other things going doesn't make them jurks.

You both need to know that there are many here who post on both boards, this one and NASIOC. Maybe if you don't like the responses that you get there, maybe you shouldn't post there.

Corky, i dont think you have seen the thread im speaking of.

-Brian

Probably not, but I know a few of the guys on that board almost as well as I know many here on this board. One thing I have noticed thought is that there seems to be little activity for the Bay area people on that board, and that also seems to work it's way up to the Sacramento (sp?) area too.

I've faught people on NASIOC in parking lots before because of they way they/I are/am.

I've also confronted people that I could recognise off the board just to see if they wanted to start static... Most of them chumps are "big men" behind their computer screens, mommies, and daddies.

I've faught people on NASIOC in parking lots before because of they way they/I are/am.

I've also confronted people that I could recognise off the board just to see if they wanted to start static... Most of them chumps are "big men" behind their computer screens, mommies, and daddies.

Kinda sounds like you are the one looking for trouble there tough guy :rolleyes:

Gee, it looks to me that they were trying to help you. Maybe if you took that chip off your sholder before you post, their responses wouldn't appear that bad.

Brian, just because people have other things going doesn't make them jurks.

You both need to know that there are many here who post on both boards, this one and NASIOC. Maybe if you don't like the responses that you get there, maybe you shouldn't post there.

So I guess saying that a 20 year old car is a waste of time, isnt a smart assed comment? I dont have a chip on my shoulder, ask anyone who has ever met me. I am a nice guy.

How ever, when I ask a simple question, I expect a non-biased answer.

I think that there is a huge difference between old gen soob owners and the rest of the automotive world.

We believe that the best cars ever made were from 1970's to the early 90's.

They had a simple flat four engine could be cobble together w/duct tape and an abundant supply of JB Weld. These car can usually be picked up for the price of a clutch job. And to our good fortune, most people considered them disposable econo boxes. Plenty of people here have picked up a EA82 for free or less then 500 bucks b/c the timing belt broken and people assumed that the motor was trashed.

On the road, the tuning is done by pioneers that believe in the engine and what is can put out. They spend time massaging and wrenching to get themost HP out of these little 1.8 motors. Subaru tuning became more main stream w/the WRX. Most people who bought them are grown-up honda tuners who wanted something fast from the factory. Few have the ingenuity to do anything w/o opening their wallet and paying a wad of cash for it. For them doing a engine swap is something that they can't even begin to understand. Match a different tranny to your motor. Whoa there... that's to hard.... There's a reason most of us have to make our own intakes by cutting the bottoms of the stock system. There is no money to be made so no company will invest the time to do it.

Off road we believe that our soobs can do anything that a high dollar 4X4 can do and more. Froogle search on Jeep 4 inch lift

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=jeep%204%20inch%20lift&hl=en&hs=bPh&lr=&safe=active&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wf

The prices vary from $800 to $2000. Mudrat's dual range tranny for less than a $1000 is a steal compared to other 4x4 systems. PK or allied lift kits are under 500. Once again there is no main stream incentive to build stuff for these cars. A decently built off-road rig will have parts that far out weight the value of the vehicle.

So the next time someone from the new soob boards tells you that working on an older soob is a waste of time, just shake your head and know that you spent a fraction of what they spent and are having fun doing it.

bW

I always hate these type of "whaaa poor me" threads. You'll find one over at the Old School NASIOC forum about the USMB. Just because one person didnt' have your answer, you hate all of NASIOC. I'm on NASIOC from time to time, I own 2 imprezas. I assure you I'm no punk kid with a ricer car.

He never did say "waste of time". . .

Originally Posted by Jaxx

on a gl-10

i assume that is a turbo car

no one is going to take the time to work on a 20 year old ecu

a piggy back might work if you can figure out the voltages . .

So I guess working on any old car is pretty much stupid as well.

Looks like he gave you an honest opinion, probably wasn't far off the mark. Good thing for Cobb in your case.

But I think your comment was smart assed, pretty uncalled for.

I think that there is a huge difference between old gen soob owners and the rest of the automotive world.

We believe that the best cars ever made were from 1970's to the early 90's.

They had a simple flat four engine could be cobble together w/duct tape and an abundant supply of JB Weld. These car can usually be picked up for the price of a clutch job. And to our good fortune' date=' most people considered them disposable econo boxes. Plenty of people here have picked up a EA82 for free or less then 500 bucks b/c the timing belt broken and people assumed that the motor was trashed.

On the road, the tuning is done by pioneers that believe in the engine and what is can put out. They spend time massaging and wrenching to get themost HP out of these little 1.8 motors. Subaru tuning became more main stream w/the WRX. Most people who bought them are grown-up honda tuners who wanted something fast from the factory. Few have the ingenuity to do anything w/o opening their wallet and paying a wad of cash for it. For them doing a engine swap is something that they can't even begin to understand. Match a different tranny to your motor. Whoa there... that's to hard.... There's a reason most of us have to make our own intakes by cutting the bottoms of the stock system. There is no money to be made so no company will invest the time to do it.

Off road we believe that our soobs can do anything that a high dollar 4X4 can do and more. Froogle search on Jeep 4 inch lift

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=jeep%204%20inch%20lift&hl=en&hs=bPh&lr=&safe=active&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wf

The prices vary from $800 to $2000. Mudrat's dual range tranny for less than a $1000 is a steal compared to other 4x4 systems. PK or allied lift kits are under 500. Once again there is no main stream incentive to build stuff for these cars. A decently built off-road rig will have parts that far out weight the value of the vehicle.

So the next time someone from the new soob boards tells you that working on an older soob is a waste of time, just shake your head and know that you spent a fraction of what they spent and are having fun doing it.

bW

I agree 100%

First off, lets look at this from a market prospective. If you reprogrammed chips would you spend your time making these for a large market where they would sell easily, or for a small market where only a few (comparatively speaking) would buy. Now for the big question, are these chips programable, probably not, some of the early version WRX chip sets are not programable. Just because it is a chip set, doesn't mean that it is programable (that it will take a flash). One of the reasons why I left the pre 90's Subarus was that there is just not an aftermarket performance parts supplier available. Yes, you can find a few odds and ends, but if you want a complete package, you'll need to be able to make parts yourself or have them fabricated. Heck, even for my 96 WRX there is no aftermarket performance supplier in the USA, I have to go to Japan for most of my hp parts. I don't think he (Jaxx) said anything wrong or condesending, he was just stating an opinion. Heck you only got two answers, and on that your are ready to condemn the entire NASIOC board? Why???

There is a galactic sized gap between these two places...aka Leone/BRAT/Justy/XT/XT6/etc...vs anything EJxxx....aka NASIOC vs USMB Old School.

Why?

Comes down to this...

USMB OS=$500 car, less than 1000 put into it and it does all kinds of neato stuff 4x4 or EA82T etc...parts avalibility? only OE style replacement and pretty much ZERO performance (only TWE parts and links that I and a few others have posted...otherwise nothing) We work on everything about it and invest all the free time we have into it and in 90% of the cases would not pay anyone else to do anything to our cars...must less let anyone behind the wheel of it.

NASIOC=$20,000 to $34,000 car, and sometimes over $50k invested. Aftermarket? HUGE. Parts avalibility? HUGE. What do they usually do? Send it off to some shop or dealer for evey single bit of the work. Do they really truly car aobut the car? In the end, no. THey will trade it all away for something faster and newer and dont give it a second thought. Most of NASIOC nowadays are ricers...but some are knowledgeable people.

SOME NASIOC'ers are people like us and do all the work them sevles...but still spend the large $$$$ on aftermarket parts.

I am one who fits in with the NASIOC crowd quite well....however, when it comes down to it, I have a Leone...and just that little fact still makes 90% of the people on NASIOC steer away from me and not listen and ignore me.

Thru my technical knowledge of the EJ cars, my autox'ing knowledge and everything else SUBARU related...I have been able to overcome 99% of the problems with the great division...and I have earned a permanent place in the South East Region....Motorsports is next. :banana: Anywhere else right now, and people would see my 'profile' and say "WT-F? Who's WJM? Oh, no EJ car? f*** him."

In the end, its all about SUBARUs....but, NASIOC is the "North American SUBARU Impreza Owner's Club."

So, no Impreza...no NASIOC bascially. I've owned 2 Impreza's so technically I have the "right" to be there... :rolleyes:

USMB is not specified on model...so, anyone is welcome.

In the end, its all about SUBARUs....but, NASIOC is the "North American SUBARU Impreza Owner's Club."

So, no Impreza...no NASIOC bascially. I've owned 2 Impreza's so technically I have the "right" to be there... :rolleyes:

USMB is not specified on model...so, anyone is welcome.

Well I guess you really haven't looked at the whole board then, there is a Legacy, a Forester, a Baja, an Outback, and a Tribeca forum, heck they even have an old school forum. I don't know about the other areas, but the NorthWest area accepts just about everyone, regardless of what you drive.

Your right.. partially.. there have been plenty of times where I've been minding my own business and have had people come confront me over something I've said on the board...

from this and your previous post it sounds like you get in a lot of confrontations over things you say on line? how old are you? not good tough guy.

oooh i hate to agree with corky! that response on nasioc WASN'T confrontational, iluvdirt, and you came off (to me) looking a tad defensive.

yes the two boards are very different. i like this one.

There is a galactic sized gap between these two places...aka Leone/BRAT/Justy/XT/XT6/etc...vs anything EJxxx....aka NASIOC vs USMB Old School.

Why?

Comes down to this...

USMB OS=$500 car,

NASIOC=$20,000 to $34,000 car, and sometimes over $50k invested. Aftermarket? HUGE. Parts avalibility? HUGE. What do they usually do? Send it off to some shop or dealer for evey single bit of the work. Do they really truly car aobut the car? In the end, no. THey will trade it all away for something faster and newer and dont give it a second thought. Most of NASIOC nowadays are ricers...but some are knowledgeable people.

SOME NASIOC'ers are people like us and do all the work them sevles...but still spend the large $$$$ on aftermarket parts.

Well I guess you really haven't looked at the whole board then, there is a Legacy, a Forester, a Baja, an Outback, and a Tribeca forum, heck they even have an old school forum. I don't know about the other areas, but the NorthWest area accepts just about everyone, regardless of what you drive. __________________

Corky

aka Dr. RX

it's still a subaru board. well, someone should know about an ecu. afterall, what do they think thir car engineered from?

going to the old school side is the same as going to usmb. so there are other expertise in the other forums as well.

its easier buy a car than put one together with someone elses money

its all hype from what i have experienced there. have fun!

Ultimately if you guys don't like it there, then don't go back. if you don't like an answer you get to a question then ignore it. Fact is if you want something like that you will prolly have to do it yourself, and if you see that as a problem then well that’s your problem. I hate to be so "confrontational" about it, but I'm tired of hearing people complain about the interweb cause they didn't get what they wanted out of it. What did you expect really, somebody to jump in and say, "Ya Ecutek does that"? If they did one of us would have found out about it long before this. One thing you have to remember is ours ECUs are a lot different than the EJ stuff. So what works for them might not work for us.