Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check out these vids: hatch putting out 150 hp!!ea81

75subie

• 4 weeks later...

well let me tell you i beat every weekend 3 different turbo subuarus & a lot of big v8. if thats animal dung then tough shi$. i have had this on a chassis dyno. that power is at the wheels jacka$$. if you listewn to the videos, have you ever heard an ea81 sound like a v6???? come on, give me a brake. i beat jeeps & bronco ll that have v8 in them all the time. any one can b.s horse power# but when you are at the pay window at every race that is for real!!!!!

hey, that's one sick car.

It sounds like you're used to people calling BS on your car's power. I don't think anyone here doubts what it can do. We know that EA81s can be teased into putting out that kind of power, but there aren't many out there, and it usually costs a bit to do it. A few people here have run hi-po EA81s before. I think Qman still does.

If you want to post the dyno chart, we'd love to see it. If not, it's still obvious that your car is competitive. Welcome to the board.

I sure like to know how ya got that kind of power!!!! Sure could use it on my gyrocopter!!!! I’m looking for 120-130 hp I just pick up 2 tubro and 2 carbed ea81s and a extra set of tubro heads to play with on a rebuilds.

This is what I plan on doing

1) motor 9.5 cr pistons, multi-point fuel injection tuned exhaust and a wasted spark 4 coils and a custom manifold.

2) motor 9.5 cr pistons, multi-point fuel injection tuned exhaust and a wasted spark 4 coils and a custom manifold and a tubro

3) motor 8.0 cr pistons, multi-point fuel injection tuned exhaust and a wasted spark 4 coils and a custom manifold and twin turbos

4) think we can make hp with one of these set ups ????????

ps I wanted to try this on the twin carbed ea81 but couldn’t find one if ya got one please let me know!!!!!

post-2114-136027605094_thumb.jpg

ps I wanted to try this on the twin carbed ea81 but couldn’t find one if ya got one please let me know!!!!!

Try what exactly?

chasrace, you can chill out. Some people just need proof. You don't need to show it to them, because theres plenty of other people that can just trust your word. I've read all sorts of mods you can do on EA81's. Those aviation guys like SUB4, the guys that make there own EA81 heads, get figures like 150hp out of it.

Can I just ask you one thing chasrace, what EA81 heads are you using? the turbo ones, deul carb ones, or normal ones?

Oh, and for those non-belivers, try selling your secret for $20 :D

On a side note. chasrace, you should setup your site to play the song Weird Al Yankovich - Amish Paradise :D :D :D ... great name by the way.

Who here knows that the EA81 duel carb heads are different to normal EA81 heads? I found this out after trying to to do valve timming after putting the head gaskets back in. The heads have a EA82 style. The inlet valves are on the inside and exhuast on the out. Also there is a better flow rate thru the duel carb heads. But if you just want more carbs, a manifold would be good.

Ben, what exactly did you want to try on the deul carb head? I was thinking about putting a turbo on my engine, or maybe a supercharger. With keeping the duel carbs of cause.

Who here knows that the EA81 duel carb heads are different to normal EA81 heads? I found this out after trying to to do valve timming after putting the head gaskets back in. The heads have a EA82 style. The inlet valves are on the inside and exhuast on the out. Also there is a better flow rate thru the duel carb heads. But if you just want more carbs, a manifold would be good.

Ben, what exactly did you want to try on the deul carb head? I was thinking about putting a turbo on my engine, or maybe a supercharger. With keeping the duel carbs of cause.

yes the true dual carbed engine had different heads, a different cam, and the valves were opposite, but the intake port on the top of the heads was the same as regular ea81, and carbed ea82 (and spfi).

the true ea81 dual carb set-up will bolt to either version of the ea81. the one I had was on a regular ea81 engine.....

Don't forget the spacing of the exhuast studs is completely different too :-/ I was going to just drop another EA81 in my car, but once I learned I couldn't use my 2" exhuast I decided to spend $100 and get the duely fixed. Now I just have to live with STi fuel economy and the power of a 85 or so HP EA81. LOL!

It would be nice if I had the stuff to do a flow rate test on the heads, I would really like to know how much better they really are. Ahh, just need a EJ :D

im using the reg. carb heads. i did have my cam reground & i think they added like .100 to the lift & it makes lots of torque. all to gether i milled over .200 off the block & heads. this raised my compression to like 14.1 i have to watch how much i tell cause if anyone i race aginst is on here im in trouble. my engine is not quite legal. you guys under stand. the bigest help i think was my cam & my big carb.