Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So what'd your preference? EA81 or EA82, and why?

I VERY much prefer the EA81 from my limited experience with the EA82. I like the way it's powered and how it has power at low RPMs and I like the bulletproof nature of the pushrod "OHV" engine over the somewhat frail and maintainance intensive by comparison to the more popular "OHC".....Just my two cents but if you'd read any of my other posts you'd have guessed as much.

definitely the fact that i do not have to deal with timing belts is a plus for me.but i would like to have the power of an ej-22 as well.only if there was a way to do that?!(besides conversion)the ea-81 is bulletproof.i have beat the hell out of a couple now and have had no problems other than the norm.all in all, i read about these guys putting all kind of turbo stuff on there ea-82's to get the max power and it seems that they push them to the extremes and fix stuff more often than not.which i guess is the nature of any modded vehicle really.i personally require a simple as pie vehicle.ea-81 for me.....slightly modded of course,but not necassarily for power.

ER27... uhh EA82...

whats so scary about timing belts...? Its not like they are hard to do, really. Plus its got da power and its quite a bit more updated then the 81. Hydro lifters are more common in the 82 too(although my BRAT has hydros:rolleyes:) Push rods are old technology, OHC is THE MAN!

EA82 Carb'd.... Foolproof engine minus the t-belts... no damn injector or computerized crap to go wrong with it. And I like how much quieter my EA82 runs than the rest of the EA81's in Alaska. (With the exception of Northguy's Brat.. Damn that thing is cherry)