Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling all lifted rigs.. ground clearance ###'s

torxxx

Just wanted to check with everyone with lifted soobs. please post what lift you have on, along with tire size and any other mods you did for the lift other than what came with your kit.

I'm running 25.5 inch tires on 14 inch rims. 4 inch AA high clearance lift. I added 1.5 inch blocks to the front diff hanger to even out the driveline angle.

I added the accord front springs to my new rear struts. measured out the rear diff clearance and I'm sittin at 14 inches even. front is about 11.5 at the oil pan.

4" AA high clearance lift

28" tires

a bit over 12" at the front xmember

almost 13" at the rear diff

3" BYB lift

29" tires

11" front (big skidplate that covers the y-pipe cuts almost an inch off of that)

almost 12" rear

both '88 EA82 wagons

I do have a 2" diff shim, but it's in the front, it doesn't effect the clearance by more than a 1/2"

I think the answer is those accord springs you're running. When I had my rear extensions adjusted for another inch or so, it was all ground clearance, but that was before I had the diff shim, so it killed one axle, and wounded another....

I have 10" in the front and 11" in the rear, with 30" tires.

I think I have 8" lift all the way around, never measured it.

I also have a dropped rear diff hanger and a seperated front diff (divorced T-Case). That means my axles are pretty much level when sitting on flat ground.

ahh ok numbchux. I measured it out before and after the honda springs swap and it grew 2 1/2 inches. Everyone that has them *************** about them being too stiff, but I'm not seeing it. I did pull them off a 89 accord 5 speed w/o AC so they are the lightest of the honda springs. I'm gonna go root on the rear's tonite and see if I can snap an axle. The only problem that I see happening now with a quick axle swap is that the control arms are MAXED out all the way down. I think I'm gonna have to unbolt the bottom of the strut to get the axle all the way out.

I'm looking at making drop down shackles for the control arms in the rear. Maybe 1 1/2 inch drop. shouldnt be very hard to do and it will straighten out the axles. I wonder if a linkage setup would work for keeping all 4 tires on the ground in a spot where it would usually 3 wheel from the steep angles?

the rears of the cars seem very easy to make adaptors for. I'm almost thinking custom rear crossmember. I could make a way stronger one out of 5/16 thick steel tubing. It would be like SJR's rear xmember block kit, but instead of being a spacer and the stock x-member, it'd be one piece designed to keep the tires farther back when the suspension is extended all the way.

whatya think???

13 inches from ground to both front and rear diffs with 35's. You people and your IRS/IFS. Bumpers are 3 and 1/2 feet from ground.

yeah dude..you have a mystang as your avatar and a jeep in your vehicle list.

we tend to laugh at jeeps. especially when we pull them out.

find a jeep board or get a subaru.

I'll measure my hatch this weekend and edit this post with the numbers. *EDIT* I have about 11" at the front skid plate (10" at the Y-pipe) and 9.5" at the rear diff. This is on an '81 hatch with a 3/3" PK lift with 27" MTs.

You people and your IRS/IFS.

You mustang people with your crappy 4 link rear suspension. Hey, isn't the roll center of your front suspension underground? Hmmm, last time I checked thats about as poor as you can get from a handling standpoint.

yeah dude..you have a mystang as your avatar and a jeep in your vehicle list.

we tend to laugh at jeeps. especially when we pull them out.

find a jeep board or get a subaru.

+1

You people and your IRS/IFS.

was he trying to say something about out IFS/IRS...solid axles will give you more wheel travel but they end up always being the lowest point on your car...you need to have your axles up out of the way..

9465bottom_side.JPG(click me)

granted only 6.5"s of clearance for now.....:grin:

You mustang people with your crappy 4 link rear suspension. Hey, isn't the roll center of your front suspension underground? Hmmm, last time I checked thats about as poor as you can get from a handling standpoint.

Heh...actually MY mustang does not have 4 link rear suspension :grin:

I was just giving you some comparison to my Jeep...I have about 6 inches of lift with 35's and most of you guys running 29's have more axle clearance than I do :)

And, I'm in the process of buying a GL wagon like Chux's, so I believe I'm in the right place :headbang:

'03 outback wagon lifted via kingsprings

215/75R15's At tires dia. 28.9"

Mudrat front bumper for better approach/departure angles (several inches clearance over stock)

front clearance at borla header 9.75" stock exhaust was 11.00" But a small sacrifice for more torque!

Rear clearance at diff. protector 11.00"