Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is 215k miles on a ej22 to much

im looking at an 91 legacy awd 5 speed. I was wondering if 215k miles is on the high side. I know some have gone for many many more miles then that, but just wanted to get some input. It's pretty strait, well for 215k miles.

And also what does it take to flash codes in those things. I know the check engine light is on. Is there any way of doing it while I'm looking at it and is there a list of codes online anywhere.

You don't need a tool to read codes on a '91. It's a matter of plugging two things under the dash together and interpreting the sequence of short and long flashes of the CEL.

For sure there is a thread or 10 on this site covering the procedure.

215k is, needless to say, a lot of miles. But if it runs well, and does not smoke on cold startup, you might easily get another 50k or more out of it. Or not. Presumably you're not paying a whole lot though, and know that the ej22 is one of the most durable engines ever. Reading the trouble code(s) may (or may not) give you some insight.

Fixing it is almost always cheaper than buying new or newer. Just about everyone who posts or reads this site will probably say the same thing. Recently, I read here that there is a Saab with 1 million that was committed to a museum somewhere in Wisconsin. You are almost a quarter of the way there.

215,000 miles is high when its been someone elses miles. If it was a majority of your miles that would be different. It really is just a matter of how much money they are asking for it, and what your comfortable with. remeber 215K may not be much for a subaru engine, but that are lots of bits peices attached between the flywheel and the tires that are just as important. Inspect the chasis carefully, anything else can be fixed.

If your comfortable with it go for it.

nipper

it's been covered, but 215,000 is high. yes there are plenty that go beyond that and the 2.2 is certainly capable of it...but lots of car owners are not. the years are more likely to kill this motor than the miles anyway...after 15 years often at least one radiator, hose, thermostat, water pump, clamp, radiator cap will have failed or have been replaced. if the car was driven hot....or oil changes not adhered to, or mismatched tires been used, then the engine and trans may not be in as good of condition as they could be. there is no shortage of subaru's with engine or trans failure before 200,000 miles...many on here can post pictures of them. but more often than not it's due to overheating or lack of oil/maintenance. i've been looking for two friends recently and just in the past two days seen dozens of 2.2's with 200,000 - 292,000 miles in good running condition. inspect it good and make your decision accordingly. after you get it home, revel in not having a car payment, enjoy that.

a compression test is a good tool if the engine condition concerns you.

Im sure you could get up to 500k,but not with the original tranny :D

If there is no check engine light, theres no codes, or the light it burned out. But to check its very easy, its a matter off connecting 2 wires i believe and flashes a light, and you just number how many times it flashes, and you get the code. Heres the website legacy777 has that tells you everything, about reading the ECU codes, and ETC.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/subaru.html

i flashed the codes on the thing, got a 11, 22 and 23, it was the crank sensor, knock sensor and Air flow sensor.

I'm not to sure about it. It seems to run and drive nice. Someone put a fart can muffler on it. It may be a little rougher then i want to deal with. its at a dealer auction that i go to, so we will see what it sells for.

how ever there was an 89 gl coupe 4x4 DR i may bid on. little crunch in the nose, but i have all the parts on my parts car.

thanks for the info.

I just bought a 92 legacy 5spd with 229k miles for $500.

Had to change the fluids and belts but it drives like a champ.

I have a friend at work that has 330k on his original engine in his 93 legacy awd 5spd.

If ist clean , doesnt smoke and is a current daily driver get it .

But pay no more than $500-$800 for it.

Just my .02:grin:

thanks, that is kind of what i was thinking if i could get it around that it wouldn't be the end of the world. the car for the most part is pretty strait, has a couple dents here and there, it ran great and didn't blow any smoke that I could see.

Like i said its at an auction, so who really knows about it. but i have had luck in the past with auction subarus as long as you stay away from the automatics.

Damn this illness, why must i have subaruitis (if I see a good buy on a subaru I want to get it)

ok here is even the sadder part, I don't need it. I have a nice DD car that gets great gas mileage (not subaru, but not every one is perfect) I just got a older GL wagon that will be my mud/snow rig. I have a truck and a little sports car. I have no F-ing reason to bring this car home, other then the reason, I want it.

If only I had tons of property and I could bring all the crappy cars home so I could love them. I could be a rescue for unwanted subarus. :clap:

what is a boy to do.

I just bought a 92 legacy 5spd with 229k miles for $500.

Had to change the fluids and belts but it drives like a champ.

I have a friend at work that has 330k on his original engine in his 93 legacy awd 5spd.

If ist clean , doesnt smoke and is a current daily driver get it .

But pay no more than $500-$800 for it.

Just my .02:grin:

If only I had tons of property and I could bring all the crappy cars home so I could love them. I could be a rescue for unwanted subarus. what is a boy to do.
buy property. excellent investment anyway. then be sure to marry someone who thinks it's funny to have 10 or 12 cars in the yard.

buy property. excellent investment anyway. then be sure to marry someone who thinks it's funny to have 10 or 12 cars in the yard.

Proof that one can get almost anything out of this board including wise marital counsel. Anything to do with Maryland ? :)

i bought my 2.2 with 193,000; had the check engine light on for the crank shaft sensor, and knock sensor ...only problem with those two sensors being out, is sometimes it wouldnt start without disconnecting the battery...i fixed them within the first week...

im now at 210,000, the car drives and runs fine, however it now needs a new transmission i believe the owner before me liked to shift like an A-hole

if i was you I'd buy it.....500 dollars for a car that runs is definately a good investment compared to those new videogames that are selling for a 1000 dollars

I've always had EJ22s with high mileage, no i ever had problems with, i recently back in June sold a 90 legacy 2wd with 225K on the clock and that thiing was as tight as my 95 wagon, i trust my life with those engines, never let me down, and if anything happens its a easy fix too. Good luck... :banana: