Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why isn't an EA82 a raging "hot rod"?

bgd73

And poor muffler bearing design.:banana:

mufbear-1.jpg

I swear, the misimformation that is passed around on these boards can sometimes be infuriating! There is NOTHING, I say NOTHING wrong with the advanced engineering and "ahead of their time" design of Subaru's EA series muffler bearing.

One cannot tell from this picture if that bearing is being removed or installed, but whatever. Any seasoned Subaru mechanic will spot instantly that the bearing is either coming out, or being installed backwards!! Not only is this abuse of a perfectly good Subaru muffler, but is also inhearantly dangerous, as the harmonics that can be created from an improperly installed muffler bearing are the same as those used by the milatary for their subsonic crowd controll weapon. In fact, that is where the concept originally began.(you know, the one that makes rioters or demonstraters feel abrupt and severe dizzyness and nausea) This common mistake of improper instalation of the Subaru muiffler bearing is responsable for untold hiway fatalaties.

On the other hand, those of you who might think that to do this deleberatly, and drive around with earplugs or other quality hearing protection, using your wagon as a weapon of mass destruction, remember, this is a felony, and though perhaps an amusing way (for the hardcore sociopaths amongst us) to entertain yourself, but hardly worth the risk.

Happy new year, and all that rot.

Pyro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't some older porsche's have a seperate intake/carb for each side of the engine? could a similar set-up for a soob be custom made and the 90 degree angles in the intake be gotten rid of??

It can and has been done. But without custom heads you still have basically the same problem. You have eliminated some twists in the intake runner, but the head itself still has ports that are too small, valves that are too small, and too many twists and turns to it's internal runner.

GD

don't some older porsche's have a seperate intake/carb for each side of the engine? could a similar set-up for a soob be custom made and the 90 degree angles in the intake be gotten rid of??

And you will end up with less low-end torque because of the drastic shortening of the intake runner. It might be helpful if the engine was going to be spun faster (shifting the torque peak higher) but pretty pointless if the engine will never see the high side of 6.5K rpm.

The flow coeficient of the air traveling through the bends in the intakes reduces the ability to hot rod the enine. A hot rod must be put throught a staight tube, so hotroding an engine that has multiple 90degree bends in the intake makes as much sense as adding a mechanical fan to the front of the engine. The airbox inside the fender, while disableing the butt-dyno, collects invisibles and refutes their ability to corrode the valves when heated by the anti-icing heated manifold. Supercooling the intake charge would lead to the fuel falling out of suspension, puddeling in the 90 degree turns, and a lean mixture. My extensive research while half inebriated shows that replacing the engine mounts with solid pieces of oak reduces the degrees of torsional loss, enhancing acceleration while reducing chassis flex.

That was kinda fun...

wow i thought you were bgd for a second good show man

I haven't read all the posts, but heres my answer...

The engine is crap...

Sorry that it isn't very helpful. But really for making decent power, it's rubbish. It's great for just going and going. But that's not how you make a powerful engine. The EJ's have much better port design, and water manifold. And it's obvious as they make huge power with a turbo without blowing headgaskets. But if you want to stick with the EA, your stuffed for power. Oh, unless you have $10,000 to spare...

But, if your like me and want to make a classic EA81 dualy make some good power just for the heck of it then I would suggest this.. Twin throttle body (one for each head) fuel injected. Custom manifolds with a better water passage and new thermostat housing. Port and polished dual carb heads. Custom/worked dual carb cam. straight through 1.75" y pipe into 2.5" exhuast. Custom forged pistons for a compression ratio around 12 to 1 or higher. Running on LNG (130octane.)

I was going to post here and share my opinions of the OPs ideas and the reasoning behind them.

Then I read the rest of the thread.

I'm taking xmas off. Don't burn the place down. After that, I will probably read this thread, laugh and ************can it.

I was going to post here and share my opinions of the OPs ideas and the reasoning behind them.

Then I read the rest of the thread.

I'm taking xmas off. Don't burn the place down. After that, I will probably read this thread, laugh and ************can it.

Honestly, I'm interested to hear your ideas, just like the ones in this thread. Granted I think most are completly wrong, but one learns most in discussion.

don't listen to them, the real problem with the ea82 is the headlight fluid resivore it's much to small for a car of this size combined with the size of the headlights and alternator it is clearly not able to to supply blinker fluid at an appropriat rate you need to use synthetic blinker fluid and upgrade the resivore and pump that should give you a substancial power boost

The EJ's have much better port design, and water manifold. And it's obvious as they make huge power with a turbo without blowing headgaskets. But if you want to stick with the EA, your stuffed for power. Oh, unless you have $10,000 to spare...

all very true, esp the last part :-\

But, if your like me and want to make a classic EA81 dualy make some good power just for the heck of it then I would suggest this.. Twin throttle body (one for each head) fuel injected. Custom manifolds with a better water passage and new thermostat housing. Port and polished dual carb heads. Custom/worked dual carb cam. straight through 1.75" y pipe into 2.5" exhuast. Custom forged pistons for a compression ratio around 12 to 1 or higher. Running on LNG (130octane.)

and there you have the classic recpie for power.

Maybe its been said, but i didn't want to go through 5 pages of blinker fluid.

Anyway, the EA-anything isn't a raging hotrod, because it flows so poorly from the factory that it takes mucho dinero to make any reasonable amount of power from it, money that could me more easily spent on say an EJ22T and get 2-3 times the power, all for the same amount of money.

Trust me, you don't want to be the guy that spent 2000 on a custom EA-81 only to get 140 hp, unless its for a very specific rally classification that only allows the stock engine block. for daily driving the EJ series is a winner every day.

That, and it only has 3 mains, which due to the inherent fluctuations of the tortional vibrations causes dynamic flexures in the cylinder walls which make the entire vehicle unstable at high speeds, and could very easily make it loose traction and go off course in turns when the engine is above 4500 rpm

More money + EA = less power --> less fun

Less money + EJ = more power --> More fun

I am not sure how to tell some of you EJ fans....in this "older generation" section...

I love engines. To the point of false accusations. I love engines.(I think I have said this here much more than once) EJ series will never be one of them. Like the inline four, inline 6, and 60 degree v6... I have only grown to like 2 for natural power returned for thier design, the 3 main boxer and a 90 degree v8- simple potential for incredible power given by a displacement- SIMPLY.They are my engines of choice to play with, the rest are just driven with a yawn and bigger wallett it seems more times than not. A v8 full of mistakes could blow the doors off of the biggest baddest four banger on the planet with more overthought gadgets that leave me chuckling to this day. We all have our hobby type motivation for old soobs.... I began to change my mind about the "ea" when after simply changing a timing belt and scrapping all EGR, and simple tune-up on my 5spd 93 loyale 2wd kept up with a 2.2 n/a impreza (is that not the so called "legendary" rally block?)- I even thought the impreza was "playing with me" until the tell tale signs of this impreza going way beyond speed limit for top end and smelling its exhaust climb into my car (repulsively metallic suiciding exhaust). I even exceeded my tires 90mph tire rating .. as the car did not want to die, it only got more powerful the more air hit it into 6500rpm and still no sponge on throttle- unlike a suiciding EJ with too many friction points on the engine.. 10 years for me with the ea, and I am still astonished at what Subaru did and didn't do for "motorheads" like myself with the ea as a target for fun/sport/race. looking the engine over with what I have learned about them, even the singular intake channel is not small - I have taken stock plugs and wires and even the old carb contently to 7k and chose to let off, all with a 30 dollar fuel pump at 5psi vs oem 3.

If someone has tinkered with these, somewhat seriously, and proved thier little ea soob was not slow anymore, would love to chat.

Simply stating fuel and air changes, not even dramatically by my own building knowledge had me saying "phenomonal " out loud "This engine is only 1781cc pushing 4wd drive train- contently".

My wagon seems to be hopeless right now, I am trying to achieve power enough for short onramps- 0-60 in under 8 is not fast, but a lifesaver for some of my travels.

My question of the intake and restricting it- Can I attempt it? I am guessing yes to drivers side more than passenger for heater line, and keeping below the carb open (I have proven to myself it really needs it unlike the hot flowing maf'd SPFI) Any backyard experts?

I ams serious here with my question. :)

I am with a 20 year old soob and really like it as my daily driver- I don't exactly wax it on a nice sunday, you know what I mean?

don't listen to them, the real problem with the ea82 is the headlight fluid resivore it's much to small for a car of this size combined with the size of the headlights and alternator it is clearly not able to to supply blinker fluid at an appropriat rate you need to use synthetic blinker fluid and upgrade the resivore and pump that should give you a substancial power boost

no more eggnog for you

nipper

I am not sure how to tell some of you EJ fans....in this "older generation" section...

A v8 full of mistakes could blow the doors off of the biggest baddest four banger on the planet......

"This engine is only 1781cc pushing 4wd drive train- contently".?

Hows about we take a V8 full of mistakes, make it a nice 4 liter american thing and compare it to the STI EJ engines in the wrx. Considering power to weight ratios, fuel consumption and hell lets throw emissions into it too. There will be a considerable difference that only a complete idiot will mis-interpret. In that example were not even using the "baddest 4 banger".

The hard fact is that your beloved EA series engines dont make power easily. The EJ engines are smoother, lighter, easier to tune, have turbo versions that dont suck, parts are available, therye clean and green and you will ALWAYS get more power from a tuned EJ18 than a tuned EA82. Same displacement engines, but one of them has 5 mains.
:clap:

And for gods sake man, to ignore common sense and protest That less crankshaft support is better, and that low power outdated designs are the way to go. Thats just insane, especially on a technical forum filled with automotive engineers and home mechanics. I dont mind you having an opinion, but save it for off topic because when im looking for sound advice on engine mounts, i DONT want to read about using blocks of oak and cutting holes in my bumper.
:mad:

A v8 full of mistakes could blow the doors off of the biggest baddest four banger on the planet with more overthought gadgets that leave me chuckling to this day.

Fine. Go buy one. Wrap another soob around a telephone pole or a car on the freeway, and buy a v8 full of mistakes.

We will chuckle all day while you achieve 30 hp/L in your super-duper American hot-rod from the 70's, and then say out loud "phenominal. He has found his dream, all the while notwithstanding our reliable (extremely, but for timing belts and headgaskets -and maybe the ill-conformed EGR) car that we have now gotten to 50hp/L in purely stock form, even without adding a custom canuter valve to hasten the inlet of obnoxious gasses."

That, and it only has 3 mains, which due to the inherent fluctuations of the tortional vibrations causes dynamic flexures in the cylinder walls which make the entire vehicle unstable at high speeds, and could very easily make it loose traction and go off course in turns when the engine is above 4500 rpm

:lol: :lol: :clap: thanks for giving me a good Xmas laugh. you must be the smartest Mechanical Engineer in the firm.....I mean you must be an ME right?

OK guys, it is long past time to either grow up or go pick on somebody else. 3 pages of pointless and off-topic posts is more than enough. Nothing is being served by your personal attacks. If you don't agree with Bgd73, politely say your peace and move on; better yet, just don't respond. If what he types is as offbase as what you think then others will not be swayed by it either, so no need to ridicule him "to protect others from his misinformation".

What you are doing is bullying and is not OK, so please stop.

The flow coeficient of the air traveling through the bends in the intakes reduces the ability to hot rod the enine. A hot rod must be put throught a staight tube, so hotroding an engine that has multiple 90degree bends in the intake makes as much sense as adding a mechanical fan to the front of the engine. The airbox inside the fender, while disableing the butt-dyno, collects invisibles and refutes their ability to corrode the valves when heated by the anti-icing heated manifold. Supercooling the intake charge would lead to the fuel falling out of suspension, puddeling in the 90 degree turns, and a lean mixture. My extensive research while half inebriated shows that replacing the engine mounts with solid pieces of oak reduces the degrees of torsional loss, enhancing acceleration while reducing chassis flex.

The topic was hotroding an EA82, I made some points on why it's limited, namely the 3 90 degree turns the air has to make to get into the cylinder, and said why removing the heated manifold would be a dumb idea.

I may be being a wongleflute, but i'm being fairly gentle about it.

And tell me that this title doesn't deserve at least some mockery :Why isn't an EA82 a raging "hot rod"?

OK guys, it is long past time to either grow up or go pick on somebody else. 3 pages of pointless and off-topic posts is more than enough. Nothing is being served by your personal attacks. If you don't agree with Bgd73, politely say your peace and move on; better yet, just don't respond. If what he types is as offbase as what you think then others will not be swayed by it either, so no need to ridicule him "to protect others from his misinformation".

What you are doing is bullying and is not OK, so please stop.

Finally. Someone who is on the same road as I am. Only putting in much better words, thank you.

EDIT: Just read through most of this thread.. Good for a laugh! haha