Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I make my subaru safe?

It's really not that bad. I've crashed mine a few times, and it's held up well, and i'm uninjured.

Go to a demolition derby rulebook and look up the prep regs. Weld the doors shut, bolt heavy steel plates to the side, wear a motorcylce helmet and a padded fire suit.

With the amount of huge SUV's and pickups on the road these days with distracted/ cellphone using drivers, you're F'd if you're driving anything smaller than a semi tractor. All the airbags in the world wont save you when the F350's bumper is hitting you in the window.

Don't worry about it. Chances are, you won't get hit and killed.

Can you post where you found those safety ratings? I have a 86 (Im sure there isnt much deference) and as far as I am concerned it is a steal metal death trap... Ex: Just two weeks ago I got in a accident, making a left hand turn, light turns from yellow to red (Im sitting in middle), first two lanes cars are stopped, third is empty, I turn... Some guy in a Yukon size SUV comes flying through... Next thing I know, Clink, Crunch and there we go. Long story short, Broke my tail light, and left a dent on my poor wagon :( As for him I ate the right side of his car, one tire and prety much 4000 dollars worth of damage. His fault... He paid me a 100 and after the new taillight I was 87 Dollars richer.

Can you post where you found those safety ratings? I have a 86 (Im sure there isnt much deference) and as far as I am concerned it is a steal metal death trap... Ex: Just two weeks ago I got in a accident, making a left hand turn, light turns from yellow to red (Im sitting in middle), first two lanes cars are stopped, third is empty, I turn... Some guy in a Yukon size SUV comes flying through... Next thing I know, Clink, Crunch and there we go. Long story short, Broke my tail light, and left a dent on my poor wagon :( As for him I ate the right side of his car, one tire and prety much 4000 dollars worth of damage. His fault... He paid me a 100 and after the new taillight I was 87 Dollars richer.

http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/archive/archive.htm

Keep in mind these are fixed barrier tests, not the fender benders that are out in the real world.

nipper

Ya that just confirms the steal metal death trap, O well, However I think I will take my Suby over some of the more modern plastic cars. Cause you know, Atleast my car will survive :lol:

In January I rearended an Outback with my ford escape. Did more than $5,000 damage to the Ford. Barely dented the rear hatch of the Outback. go subaru!

In January I rearended an Outback with my ford escape. Did more than $5,000 damage to the Ford. Barely dented the rear hatch of the Outback. go subaru!

Moms 05 legacy was parked in the garage, and sisters stratus was behind it, with a lifted ranger behind the dodge. The ranger was left in gear, and sombody hit the remote start, paniced and kept hitting it. LOL smashed the ford, and dodge up good, but only scratched the bumper of the soob.

Be visible, slow down in congested areas, drive defensively!

I hate too say it, but yah... not good safety standing... my brother is one of those that drives Ford F-350, his mind set is anything less then a Semi-truck he wins!... my mind set is, I keep an eye out for my brother!..:dead:

you have to be a defensive driver in these cars.... second guess the other guys and always try too keep a way out and be visible... no guarentee.... but the good side.. they are such fun little rigs to drive around:headbang: .. from city street to dirt roads.. just got too love the things!

I did come across an accident on the way too work 2 years ago on a two lane Highway (Called the Hanford 500) that leads out to the desert to goverment facilities, a car passing and thought it was clear.... I was going to post a picture but since a death was involved... not probably proper but enough time has past that I guess I can talk about it, one employee on the way home from work driving Subaru Wagon.... I think like a 93, the other in a Toyota Pickup.. the new ones... probably a 2002... both head on at about 70 mph each... Toyata and driver lost, subaru totalled, jaws of life to get out driver and long recovery.. but lived and back too work... to many variables to say why one lived and the other didn't.. you just have to be on guard at all times... *knock on wood...

According to that...basically my XT6 is a pretty darn safe car.. AND...if you ask people first hand who have had some nasty wrecks with thier EA82s and EA81..they will tell you they are amazed how well they held up and the way the car kept them from serious injury...Never forget...these old Subarus will give thier own lives to save yours.

Last winter I had a young fella smash the front off of his Dodge Neon on the back of my old station wagon (I was stopped at a red light). The Dodge was towed away, my bumper cover sustained a scratch.

I do not leave my home with the intention, or worry, about being in an accident, and if I did I would seek help.

there is nothing you can do to make the car "safer" short of parking it permanently.

However, YOU can be safer by following a few simple rules.

1. ALWAYS buckle your seat belt. I don't particularly like them, but i wear them anyway.

2. Drive Defensively - not Offensively. Make yourself as visible as possible - turn your lights on.

3. DON'T tailgate - give yourself some room to manuver if the car in front of you should lose it for some reason - blown tire, bad roads, swerving for a critter, etc.

a 3 to 4 second space between you and the car in front of you is a lot more room than you think it is. also, the faster the speeds, the more distance you want between you...these older cars dont have ABS and wont stop quite as fast as one with ABS will - give yourself that extra space - YOU control that.

4. Pay Attention! Put down the cell phone or whatever, and pay attention to what is going on around you, look past the guy ahead of you whenever possible - you may spot a potential danger before he does, thereby giving yourself more time to react.

http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/archive/archive.htm

Keep in mind these are fixed barrier tests, not the fender benders that are out in the real world.

nipper

I don't worry about those ratings too much. My other "car" is a 1986 diesel Suburban. I feel very safe surrounded by almost three tons of Detroit steel with about six feet of crumple zone up front, about eight feet behind, and six-inch-thick doors, but according to the safety ratings, "The Behemoth" (at least the identical 1987 model) fared as badly for the driver and worse for the passenger than the '87 GL in testing! I guess now my choice in the morning is: which deathtrap should I drive today - the big one or the little one?

- Ian

I don't worry about those ratings too much. My other "car" is a 1986 diesel Suburban. I feel very safe surrounded by almost three tons of Detroit steel with about six feet of crumple zone up front, about eight feet behind, and six-inch-thick doors, but according to the safety ratings, "The Behemoth" (at least the identical 1987 model) fared as badly for the driver and worse for the passenger than the '87 GL in testing! I guess now my choice in the morning is: which deathtrap should I drive today - the big one or the little one?

- Ian

Actually to make you feel a little better or worse, the crash test for the big one is the same as hitting a vehical of equal size. NOw those things are big enough that you should be able to avoid another one. Also they dont take into account the other vehicals ability to absorb the impact also.

So avoid bridges trees telephone poles and other 1986 suburbans :)

nipper

Be visible, slow down in congested areas, drive defensively!

I hate too say it, but yah... not good safety standing... my brother is one of those that drives Ford F-350, his mind set is anything less then a Semi-truck he wins!... my mind set is, I keep an eye out for my brother!..:dead:

you have to be a defensive driver in these cars.... second guess the other guys and always try too keep a way out and be visible... no guarentee.... but the good side.. they are such fun little rigs to drive around:headbang: .. from city street to dirt roads.. just got too love the things!

I did come across an accident on the way too work 2 years ago on a two lane Highway (Called the Hanford 500) that leads out to the desert to goverment facilities, a car passing and thought it was clear.... I was going to post a picture but since a death was involved... not probably proper but enough time has past that I guess I can talk about it, one employee on the way home from work driving Subaru Wagon.... I think like a 93, the other in a Toyota Pickup.. the new ones... probably a 2002... both head on at about 70 mph each... Toyata and driver lost, subaru totalled, jaws of life to get out driver and long recovery.. but lived and back too work... to many variables to say why one lived and the other didn't.. you just have to be on guard at all times... *knock on wood...

Generally as far as automotive design, nothing is designed for a high speed impact (that accident was the equivilant of hitting a wall at 140mph). Most accidents happen under 50mph. 35 mph testing is a good testing point.

Body on frame construction will usually loose to a unibody head to head, but at high speed it just really who is looking out for you that day.

It's sad that someone died.

In my album is my 98 leagacy at a 55 mph hit in the rear if anyone wnats to look.

There comes a point where we can make the cars so tough, but the human body just cant take the decelleration/acceleration (teo back surgeries later, almost 2 years and still not working). The other car a dodge stratus drove away with no visiable damage.

nipper

1. ALWAYS buckle your seat belt. I don't particularly like them, but i wear them anyway.

I Just Wanna Add This: Check your Seat Belt!

Why? ... Well, Old Seat Belts Loose their habilty to Lock on a Fast Stop Situation. Try pull as Fast as you can the Seat Belts of your Subie, while you get ´em on...

If they Lock, They´re Ok. ... But if Not, Go Change / Fix \ Repair them as Long as it´s Safely Possible.

Driving is a risk that you embrace every time you set the key in the ignition. That is the responsibility of obtaining a driver's license.

You have to be careful, but it is unfair to expect a 20 yeear old car to rate well by modern safety standards, in an epoch where "safety" and "security" and the complete removal and deletion of all risk has been made the topmost priority of the legislating bodies of the US. It has been so for the last 20 years or so; the crusade started by Ralph Nader against the Corvair in the 60's ("Unsafe at any speed...") was a great start, it ensured that we all have seatbelts; but to a certain degree, the concern expressed (in society at large, not necessarily expressed in this thread.. I don't want to offend anyone) over all of this safety stuff is going very very overboard.

In fifty years, will anyone be caught driving around in one of these antique deathtraps? No, we will all be too pacified to take such a risk, my own bald self included.. BUT for right now, at least 50% of the cars out there are as safe, or less safe than your subaru, if you ask me. Your subaru is FAR better equipped to get the h#!! outta the way, if needs be, than say your early nineties fullsize american pickup. When your card comes up, all you have is your best instincts and proper positioning on the road to save you; if thats not enough I am not about to be overly concerned about the car around me.

Of course, I *am* planning on putting a roll bar into my Z.. if it is worth anything, it is worth that. Thats all you can really do in any case. Is it worth it? not for my subaru...

Thats just my two cents, I didn't want to get all preachy and I apologize if I ruffled any feathers. *humble pie*

EDITED TEXT

According to that...basically my XT6 is a pretty darn safe car.. AND...if you ask people first hand who have had some nasty wrecks with thier EA82s and EA81..they will tell you they are amazed how well they held up and the way the car kept them from serious injury...Never forget...these old Subarus will give thier own lives to save yours.
xt's are very safe, turbo xt took his off a cliff going 30-40 ish flipped front over back 2-3 times and walked away from the accident

xt's are very safe, turbo xt took his off a cliff going 30-40 ish flipped front over back 2-3 times and walked away from the accident

Thats what im talkin about!! I drove a honda civic into a ditch and hit a culvert doing 40 or 50 once.. (bad things, i fell asleep) Flipped a 90 civic hatchback 2.5 times, including once rotisserie-style, and 1.5 end over end.. and walked away. Instinct and seat belt saved me.. my hands stayed locked on the wheel and my feet planted, and my seatbelt was on. If not, I might not be here.. and I certainly wouldnt have walked away so easily.

An old car is never going to be as safe as a newer one.

This is 80's technology.

Even the crash tests when the vehicle was new are not

going to be the same when the vehicle is 20+ years old

and rusty.

Drive defensively, don't speed.....oh wait it's a Subaru

Just drive defensively.:lol:....cause you can't speed!:-\

Safe is relative. Some people ride motorcycles. Far less safe than an 80's sube. There were a bunch of small cars back then that were worse.

If you really want safe, look at how the NASCAR cars are built (or the other top racecars) . Very strong cage around the driver, seat, belts, helmet, etc. NO airbags. The rest of the car is made to crush on impact, absorbing the energy.

Im just asking because my saab is a TANK.It took a 10 mph rearending from a fully loaded fullsize work truck(3/4 ton truck+ all of the wrenchs,tools,lead pipes,etc) and it did nothing to my car.I wasnt even sore.The problem is now that I am going to be driving the subie for a while I don't want to get dead...

Ok I wont worry about it.When its my time,its my time...