Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru! The most versatile cars on the Planet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved a couple full pallets of red landscaping bricks across town ('bout 22 miles one way) in a few trips last spring..stopped loading when the rear suspension was still 1/2" or so off the stops..moved numerous Mopar big & small blocks and their respective transmissions to and fro to various shops around town..about two hundred board-feet of two by four from the lumberyard to my sister's place (multiple trips, again with the "load it 'til it looks like it's gonna break, then back up a notch or two" theory) last winter in slush & snow that was making all the SUV's stay home in their cozy garages..

:headbang:

Sue's a hardworking little girl, made my old Toyota pickup blush with embarrassment..

^ Now thats a pretty sight!!!Dont think there is a much more beautiful thing in my book then a Subaru and a dirt bike...together!!!:banana:

Looks like he'll be getting some three wheeled babies!

I've put half a tonne (500kg) of gravel in ther back of my Brat.. But it didn't like it.

I've stuck a Yamaha YZ250 in the back too.

But the lastest thing I don't think many people would do in a car or truck is climbing a steep clay hill with ruts deeper then my suspension will travel foot to the floor at 6,000RPM. :banana:

Took a couple of attempts but she got up there...

Not subaru but, when I was younger and had a gokart (150cc 4strocker, racing kart.) We used our Bits-r-missin Magna (dunno if you got those, but heres a pic of one. Totally POS cars, FWD with a 2.6L) to tow a wrapped up pile of concret reinforcing around our small paddock to flatten a track out.. Hahaha

not to burst your bubble or anything, but we regularly pick up hay in the trunk of our camry. Not on top though. :grin:

yeah, there was 2 on top but i took the pic after i took 1 down. Its so much nicer driving with it on top then inside the hatch though. And since i had a a few miles to drive i got people starring for days. Probably laughing too!

They hunt,Chace and Haul Hogs real nice too! But I seem to be haveing trouble with pictures. Maybe Supernova wants to post up a pic or two for me. Cause I resized and it's still a 900 KB file

Got it covered. This is a bad a** pic. Dont think anybody but you would ever do this to a WRX.....

0625071311.jpg

Best part is i tied them down and we flew home on a windy road and they didnt move an inch.

• 2 months later...

5th picture down:

http://home.comcast.net/~davidtief/power.html

Full length aluminum roof rack. Unfortunately, I never thought to take a picture with it loaded.

I have hauled:

3 boxes of vinyl siding.

6 sheets 4x12 sheetrock.

8 14' 2x10s

2' tall stack of 4x8 foam sheets (sandwiched with 1/2 ply to keep it together)

steel reinforcment grids for concrete floors. 5'x10' sheets.

4x8 plywood, other long things.

24' extension ladder

The load is supported by 4) 6" wide plates that go into the rain gutter, and the 2 vertical posts in the front. Multiple roof rack nuts anchor to the existing rails for + or - acceleration loads.

When loaded, I put an X with 2 straps down to the tow hooks on the front.

I don't put more than 300-400 Lbs up there, it makes the car handle funny.

Modified about 5 years ago to make the front 1/3rd removable, so I only put the front part on when needed.

I wish I had taken pics of it when I was camping this summer, it was a sight to see! My wagon looked like a rolling beaver damn! I had a log about 2 feet wide as a grill, the whole thing was filled on the inside with as much wood as possible, and the roof was covered as well. We had to make a statement cuz we couldn't let the crazy rednecks with the chainsaw and a chevy out do my subaru and our axe! Oh, old people don't seem to like glasspacks at 11 at night either:banana: :headbang:

-Bill

some great pics here for sure!

Have hauled a lot of stuff on my old wagon, 6ftx6ft chainlink dog kennel panels, doors, lumber, siding & trim

but my favorite i think is this.... 3 - 6ft tall pine trees complete with root balls loaded inside the car.

Hahah that ones good! Hey you gotta get the cristmas trees home somehow right.:lol: Good pics bro...

-Tom

Had mine packed full, I mean stuffed, with as many of my possestions as I could get in there when I moved from CO to NC three years ago. Has done log skid duty many times when the pickup couldn't get any traction(2wd trucks suck!!) Played tow truck on a few occations, including pulling a 77 ford fullsize pickup out of a ditch the sube easily crossed, a full sized blazer from the same ditch, and a s-10 also from the same hole. Its run through 2 foot of snow on worn, mismatched tires without breaking a sweat, hauled firewood, 1000lbs of sackcrete, and did rural mail delivery before I purcased the car for a couple of years. It has also put this look:eek: on many of faces running trails in Uwarrie national forest, and at the local mud holes as well. It may not be as pretty as it once was, but with 270,000 mi on the ticker, she still fires up without any complaints. Just need to get that clutch in the old beast so I can put it back to work.

Wow now that's a Subaru! Pulling a full size Ford out of a ditch and a Blazer and an S-10!:slobber: It's like theres no stoping it....:lol: I can't wait to get mine in the snow and see what she does!

This was all on a local trail going up to a fishin hole. Oh yeah, single range only, stock 5 speed Loyale.