Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STI motor in a gl

jbecker

yes it's possible and it's probably been done. been done to a justy, can't imagine a GL has never been attempted. plan on it being a stand-alone job without much help though. this will be mostly custom work with lots of custom wiring and fabricating, nothing will be easy about it. but yeah, it's possible. you can put a V8 in there if you want.

^boy...that makes it sound a lot harder than it is.

it's really not much more difficult than doing an STi swap into any other subaru. get the STi 6-speed trans, some custom linkage and driveshaft work, stock N/A 3.9 EA82 rear diff, a turbo crossmember, some custom radiator work, a scoop in your hood (or FMIC).

the stuff that makes it more difficult than doing it into a GC impreza, for example, is really not that terribly difficult. worst part, IMO, would be converting an EA-bodied car to hydraulic clutch. but I believe Suberdave did that.....so it's definitely possible.

^boy...that makes it sound a lot harder than it is.
i agree but it depends why the person is asking. if they're thinking an STi engine in their soob would be cool, then it's probably not going to happen. i assume they're hoping it's really easy and cheap, so best to let them know the custom nature of the job. if they are serious it's unlikely they needed to ask in the first place. given he didn't ask about any specific information or questions i am guessing he is not well versed in swapping engines.

i agree but it depends why the person is asking. if they're thinking an STi engine in their soob would be cool, then it's probably not going to happen. i assume they're hoping it's really easy and cheap, so best to let them know the custom nature of the job. if they are serious it's unlikely they needed to ask in the first place. given he didn't ask about any specific information or questions i am guessing he is not well versed in swapping engines.

You are so deep gross! soooo deeep!:rolleyes:

:lol:

like I said, not really much harder than doing it in a GC impreza. and STI-swapped GCs are running around the world by the hundreds (or more).

also, WRX swaps into EA82s have been done more than a few times, and the STi/WRX differences are pretty minimal (nevermind the 6-speed :eek: )

the wiring is a rather daunting task, but there are many people (myself included....once I'm caught up), that can do the harness merge for you. and in the grand scheme of the budget required for a swap like that, paying someone to do a harness merge is a pretty small portion.

like I said....wiring can be outsourced. depending on your timeframe.....I can do it (I just finished wiring for an '05 WRX drivetrain swap into a '96 imp L.....). if you're interested, shoot me a pm/email, and we can talk.

you'll want to run a new-gen trans to hold the power. 6-speed would be ideal, but running the DCCD would be all but impossible without an aftermarket controller.

even if you get a sweet deal on the motor, you're still looking at at least $5k for the swap. probably much closer to $10k. unfortunately, this is the nature of sweet engine swaps like this.

Not worth the effort. By the time you were done, to get STi performance from the car (braking, handling, etc) it would cost more than a used STi.

If you "cannot" do the wireing, then you "cannot" do the swap. I highly doubt even having someone else "merge" the harnesses would be acceptable unless they had access to both vehicles - essencially "doing the swap for you". The wireing IS the swap - the rest any tractor mechanic with a torch could do....The STi system relies heavily on "fly by wire" technology, and the DCCD 6 speed would be near impossible to swap as it requires input from wheel sensors, etc. You could source a JDM 6 speed, but that's going to run you an additional $3k - $5k or so and they aren't easy to find.

This "Armchair" talk is all fun, but if you want to do it then get the parts, learn the wiring and get to work. As has been mentioned you won't get much help here as likely no one here has done such a thing. Once you see the bottom line costs involved you likely won't either.

GD

if you find a JDM STI, like EJ20K or or even EJ20G it is very easy... as compaired to a USDM or any OBDII STI engine swap.

i have done 2 EJ20G swaps (non STI but they are the same in the older ones) and they are not all that hard. did my first one in 2 weeks and have had no problems with it, and i just turned over 22K since the swap.

as Numbchux said the Hydro clutch is not easy but doable.

but as mentioned above after the engine swap you will have to do something with the suspension and brakes. my suspension cost more then the drivetrain swap.

the great thing about having an old car with a newer engine is, first off i have a 20 year old car that has more horsepower than most of the new WRX's around, and it cost less than half of what a used WRX cost. also i pay almost nothing for insurance.

Since you said

My only concern for this project is the wiring.( something i cannot do).

and

If i can find a motor for cheap out of a wrecked car this is what i would like to do.

i doubt you will ever do this, and you are just dreaming. witch is good and ok to do.

put if you would like to do this PM me... im not far from you...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

EA81? EA82? Just the motor? Do you also want the 6-speed? How about DCCD? It's been done, you just have to have a bunch of expendable dough and lots of time. If you have heaps of cheese to blow through on things from Japan and don't mind your car being less-than-driveabe for months, go for it.

It won't be easy and it won't be cheap, but you'll have one heck of a GL. And it would be awesome to show some WRX and STi owners up at the dragstrip.

I know this guy swapped in a WRX motor into his older GL style body. I'm not sure if it was an STI or not but way cool. He also did brakes and suspension too.

WRX_BRAT.jpg

That's rguyver's Brat. It's got a WRX (not STi) drivetrain. He also has a LOT of skills and many, many years of experience with Subaru's of all vintages. Not to mention access to machining equipment that most of us could only dream of.

Not a good example.... considering.

GD

As they often say: "If you don't have anything nice to say... SHUT THE **** UP!" :)

First off who of us really knows if this guy is serious or not about this? He has a sweet idea that obviously nobody has tried before (there are those who may never take on such a build, they just want to tell you why you shouldn't). Instead of guessing on his real intentions, why not give him some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? I'll start:

As has been mentioned in previous posts, the STi engine should shoehorn in there with few hurdles. The 6 speed will be a bear to get to work with the DCCD, but (here comes the constructive part:) the 06-07 Legacy Spec Bs have the same trans without DCCD, so if you can find one of those wrecked, grab its tranny. That would remove a lot of unnecessary complexity and extra wiring.

As GD said this swap IS wiring. If you plan on having someone else do the wiring for you, find someone knowledgeable and local (like Suberdave) who will be able to visit you and the car (it will be non-op for quite a while) to do the work.

I have similar asperations of putting an EJ turbo engine in a GL for cheap. The difference is that I'm on a LONG time table to finish and I look for great deals on the parts I need which makes the process even longer. Don't let the nay-sayers keep you down. Lots of folks have done this swap (If not here then on the AUSUBARU board) and those who have done it will step forward and offer their help (Like some have already).

Some of you also have to remember, like Dave's swap, you can get a front cut v3 or v4 STi and put it in there and it still be an STi drivetrain, only with the 5-speed that was offered then. The 6-speed is just something that people in the US associate with when it comes to the STi since we never got the earler versions, only ones with the 6-speed DCCD tranny.

Oh and Dave, I'm going to be shooting you a PM.

and the 6sp trany should fit into any car with the larger trany tunnel 87-94 i beleave. since it is almost the same size as the 4eat witch was used in the 89-94 GL's

This is bad news for EA81 owners contemplating a similar swap (:mad:). My EA82 DR 5er is virtually bursting the seams of my 3EAT tunnel. I'm thinking along the lines of a custom subframe that would lower the engine/trans slightly while moving it back at the same time.

This is bad news for EA81 owners contemplating a similar swap (:mad:). My EA82 DR 5er is virtually bursting the seams of my 3EAT tunnel. I'm thinking along the lines of a custom subframe that would lower the engine/trans slightly while moving it back at the same time.

I think you would be better of with a custom transmission tunnel, perhaps just use one from an 87+ EA82

That's rguyver's Brat. It's got a WRX (not STi) drivetrain. He also has a LOT of skills and many, many years of experience with Subaru's of all vintages. Not to mention access to machining equipment that most of us could only dream of.

GD

This was the only EA81 Body style I could think of with a WRX motor swap. This is a really sweet BRAT, and it did look like it took alot of work.

• 2 weeks later...
This was the only EA81 Body style I could think of with a WRX motor swap. This is a really sweet BRAT, and it did look like it took alot of work.

If someone wants to buy my WRX swap for 6000$ ill show you how a Ver7 JDM STI fits in to a 1983 Brat :grin::grin::grin: and im not kidding i have a line on a 2002 STI drive train and i just dont have a cash to drop on it right now . i anticipate some tunnel cutting and welding but wow six speeds of gear jamming and 400hp 6000 rpm clutch dumps :slobber::slobber::slobber: (up graded engine of course) in a 1983 SUBARU it almost scares me :grin: the real question is what will break first ? i think it will be like this 1st tires ,2nd axles , 3rd drive shaft, 4th the cops patients and last my drivers license . but man they wouldnt see it coming. :lol: