Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When do you change your belts?

older cars seem to wear belts entirely differently, i don't think there's a good "mileage or age" that would really apply to everyone. not sure if it's weather, belt quality, pulleys that are nicked/rusted/pitted and wear faster, driving style, temp...or what, but seems like belt life can be all over the board.

Bought an 86 sedan for $100... sat for 3 years with a broken ignition lock.

I drove it for 10,000 miles - never bothered to change the belts. I figured since it had a redundant belt setup (double v-belt - same size), everything would be cool if one of the two went.

So one day I was idleing in a construction zone. Not just any construction zone - one of the really slow one's where you have to follow a construction worker in a pickup through the zone. Each direction takes a turn.... ect.

So while waiting for the other direction of traffic to finish, ALL my indicators light up. Alternator has gone I figure, or the drive belt. Obviously I can't get out to look. Temp starts to climb so I shut it off.

Our turn comes and I fire it up and slowely creep through the zone, and about 1/2 mile farther. I pull over as the temp is pegged.

What do I find? ONE of the belts broken - a peice of it slipped under the remaining good belt and popped it off the pulley. I have no 12mm - in fact I haven't got a single tool in that car - just my luck.

I limp to a muffler shop and borrow a 12mm to put the good belt back on. By this time I have NO coolant. Once you get that hot, it just boils out the overflow bottle. I filled it up with water from the adjacent supermarket and head home.

The next weekend I drive 500 miles to the next state, and 35 miles from home on the way back the water pump blows. I call AAA.

I replace the water pump. Too late - the head gaskets have had enough. At 220,000 and two severe overheats they are toast.

As an experiment (this is a $100 car after all) I try some of the magic head gasket repair in a bottle. What a freakin mess. It doesn't work.

I buy a Fel-Pro set and do both HG's one afternoon. Great - perfect running temp. Sadly the magic HG in a bottle has clogged the heater core. :horse:

I pull the entire dash to replace said heater core, and put it all back together. Awesome. Good heat, good temp. Never better in Sedan land.

Traded the car to a friend's kid for an 83 hatch she found but needed too much work for her use. I gave her the 86 sedan, with about 5,000 miles on the new HG's and heater core.

She drives it for one week, gets rear ended - car is a total. :banghead:

So - moral of the story:

1. Not replacing old belts is expensive, and time consuming.

2. Just because you have multiple belts, doesn't gaurantee you redundancy.

3. If you want a pretty decent EA81 hatch for your trouble - don't replace and belts :lol:

GD

Bought an 86 sedan for $100... sat for 3 years with a broken ignition lock.

I drove it for 10,000 miles - never bothered to change the belts. I figured since it had a redundant belt setup (double v-belt - same size), everything would be cool if one of the two went.

So one day I was idleing in a construction zone. Not just any construction zone - one of the really slow one's where you have to follow a construction worker in a pickup through the zone. Each direction takes a turn.... ect.

So while waiting for the other direction of traffic to finish, ALL my indicators light up. Alternator has gone I figure, or the drive belt. Obviously I can't get out to look. Temp starts to climb so I shut it off.

Our turn comes and I fire it up and slowely creep through the zone, and about 1/2 mile farther. I pull over as the temp is pegged.

What do I find? ONE of the belts broken - a peice of it slipped under the remaining good belt and popped it off the pulley. I have no 12mm - in fact I haven't got a single tool in that car - just my luck.

I limp to a muffler shop and borrow a 12mm to put the good belt back on. By this time I have NO coolant. Once you get that hot, it just boils out the overflow bottle. I filled it up with water from the adjacent supermarket and head home.

The next weekend I drive 500 miles to the next state, and 35 miles from home on the way back the water pump blows. I call AAA.

I replace the water pump. Too late - the head gaskets have had enough. At 220,000 and two severe overheats they are toast.

As an experiment (this is a $100 car after all) I try some of the magic head gasket repair in a bottle. What a freakin mess. It doesn't work.

I buy a Fel-Pro set and do both HG's one afternoon. Great - perfect running temp. Sadly the magic HG in a bottle has clogged the heater core. :horse:

I pull the entire dash to replace said heater core, and put it all back together. Awesome. Good heat, good temp. Never better in Sedan land.

Traded the car to a friend's kid for an 83 hatch she found but needed too much work for her use. I gave her the 86 sedan, with about 5,000 miles on the new HG's and heater core.

She drives it for one week, gets rear ended - car is a total. :banghead:

So - moral of the story:

1. Not replacing old belts is expensive, and time consuming.

2. Just because you have multiple belts, doesn't gaurantee you redundancy.

3. If you want a pretty decent EA81 hatch for your trouble - don't replace and belts :lol:

GD

Damn, What a week hey! :eek: And all because of two little belts...

the story does have a good moral (Just change the cheep and easy belts)

Just did mine last week, The old ones were slipping a lil' when at idel in gear. So it's time..... Plus it had two diffrent kinds on it :rolleyes: Someone was too cheep to change both :lol:

And put the old ones on top of your spare tire in the engine compartment (they rest perfectly in the full size wheel hub). You'll always have a spare tire AND a spare belt.

Ok Ok! I'll change them. This reminds me...anyone have luck with a full size spare in the engine compartment of a carbed wagon? I can't get mine to fit.