Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The attack of the KILLER SUBARUS!

There is actually a proposal infront of congress and the NHTSA by the association of blind people, complaining that hybrids are TOO quiet (and electrics) and therefor a hazard to blind people. The "automotive industry is working on a solution"

Just cant make people happy.

nipper

I can hear the ricers in 20 years....

Man u gota here the new soundtrack in my Prius...It's teh sh*t. I goot 454, 4 on the floor.. It's effin BUMPIN!!!

:popcorn:

Kind of like all the ricers that thought the sound of a turbo blow off valve was soooo cool they invented this:

http://www.takakaira.co.jp/accessories/nightpager/nightpager.html

Finally we made it so far that we can make clean and quiet cars and now suddenly lots of people lost their ability of sight in cities and get run over by an electric car.

COME ON

Just look before you cross the street, Always look. Ok but indeed for blind pedestrians it can be quite hard. As we here in holland have addapted traffic lights with sounds for the blinds, as well when a blind person lifts his (i am blind pole) than the cars should stop and let him cross.

Although now subaru can add the cool boxer sound to show a tiny car is comming :lol:

ARE YOU KIDDING? we've come so close to achieving electric cars for the masses (again), and this is the best detractors can come up with? TOO quiet? that's like saying the microwave cooks TOO FAST, or complaining when totally-free-electricity-producing windmills kill birds...oh wait, people complain about that too. they're really grasping at straws here. we'll get used to it, people...seriously.

that's the lamest argument I've ever heard.

...too quiet...jeez...

ARE YOU KIDDING? we've come so close to achieving electric cars for the masses (again), and this is the best detractors can come up with? TOO quiet? that's like saying the microwave cooks TOO FAST, or complaining when totally-free-electricity-producing windmills kill birds...oh wait, people complain about that too. they're really grasping at straws here. we'll get used to it, people...seriously.

that's the lamest argument I've ever heard.

I can feel your aggravation zstalker, but silence can be dangerous in the proper context. I'm a fast cyclist, and pedestrian often walk blindly in front of me cause they have'nt heard me coming. That's dangerous for them and for me. We use both our eyes and ears to locate moving objects around us and when one of those ceases to be functionnal, we have a problem.

About five years ago, riding a bicycle and making a blind left turn around a wooded piece of land on a paved country road, I almost ran into a black bear that was crossing the road. He did'nt hear me coming either (I can imagine the headlines in the local paper the following morning if I had struck the bear: "DANCES WITH BEARS" :eek: .

Is that an argument to install artificial noise devices on all silent vehicles? Probably not, but there's sometimes a real problem there.

I can feel your aggravation zstalker, but silence can be dangerous in the proper context. I'm a fast cyclist, and pedestrian often walk blindly in front of me cause they have'nt heard me coming. That's dangerous for them and for me. We use both our eyes and ears to locate moving objects around us and when one of those ceases to be functionnal, we have a problem.

About five years ago, riding a bicycle and making a blind left turn around a wooded piece of land on a paved country road, I almost ran into a black bear that was crossing the road. He did'nt hear me coming either (I can imagine the headlines in the local paper the following morning if I had struck the bear: "DANCES WITH BEARS" :eek: .

Is that an argument to install artificial noise devices on all silent vehicles? Probably not, but there's sometimes a real problem there.

And thats why you need to have baseball cards in your spokes.

This is just so much over kill. Whats next, cars in bright glow in the dark colors for everyone because people have ipods glued to thier heads? But then we have do only colors the colorblind can see, and since seeing eye dogs see in linited color, we even narrow that down more.

What do we do fore deaf people that drive hybrids (and yes i have a partial hearing loss).

It can just get sillier and sillier.

It just goes to show, you can't win no matter what you do.

For the most part you cant even hear a new car running on some brands because they are so quiet, so do we make those louder too? Odd how no one has complained about them.

It just goes to show, you can't win no matter what you do.

Maybe the world would be a better place if everyone was convinced of that, especialy heavily armed countries and individuals. ;)

Is it alright if I use hockey cards in my spokes ? CH hockey cards ? Hope there are not too many Bostonian members reading this.:-p