Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its Alive!!! LB the coupe is running again!All Is Not Well

Bucky92

Well ...thanks to many for not letting me give up..my little 83 coupe is alive again after his bout with a small head gasket leak.

As some know...this was my first attempt at pulling a motor and basically...1 step short of rebuilding it...solo. I did pull the motor ..then took it apart to clean it all up and assess what that 236K mile motor was going to need. With the emotional support from many board members ( and much cursing on my part) my little EA81 now has...new headgaskets,oil pan gasket,front and rear mains,resealed completely, oil pump, water pump, hoses, brand new radiator, clutch and pressure plate,fuel filter ( both ) and a couple of smaller mods..XT6 alt ...and a Weber:grin:.

Because of the mods I got over my head with trying to reinstall...and with the help of Hatchsub, Backwoodsboy , and Darlingchip...we got it back in and late yesterday afternoon... LB fired up for the first time in 3 months. :banana::clap:.

WOW did he smoke!..but after a good 10-15 minutes that stopped out the exhaust...but still smoked whatever was burning off the engine.Took him for a spin then ..and OMG that weber makes a HUGE difference. Steve did some fine tuning and it seems to be running sweet...just deisels when turned off hot ...but I loaned out my set up for a few months and that member told me it dieseld for them too..

This isnt a perfect world though..there are a couple issues :-\..the motor has a nasty tap on the #4 cylinder..but the more it ran it did quiet up some...and the new clutch is majorly slipping....so obviously I screwed something up ..on both matters.We are hoping that the tap stops when I change the oil out and try and adjust the valves.The clutch ..well...thats going to require moving the motor again..but they guys think maybe somethng is on it and could burn off it I heat the clutch up good a couple times...or mybe the flywheel wasnt turned right buy the PO. ( that thought came from looking at the old clutch that came out..which was actually a new one also).

BWBs also came bearing gifts..some OEM parts such as .Oil Filter..Fuel filter...and on original Rad cap..complete with the little paper in japanese..Its all these really cool OEM parts that make such a difference.

OK enough blabbering..pics and a link to a video I made.

LBmotor001.jpg

OEM NOS Rad Cap:

LBmotor026.jpg

More can be found here:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/LBsHead/

And the video of first run:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/LBsHead/?action=view&current=LBmotor027.flv

Edited by Bucky92

:banana::banana::clap::clap::headbang::headbang: Yea Connie!!!!

My Webered '86 BRAT will diesel at times, but not to often. It did do it quite a bit when I first installed it, but playing with timing and idle speed has cleared it up.

It is possible that the shop that turned the flywheel didn't do it right.

Good on ya Connie :clap::clap::clap:

For the Weber, if tuning and timeing don't get it there is an anti-diesel kit that you can put on it.

What did you guys torque the pressure plate bolts to??? The FSM calls for someting like 12-15 flb, if you tighten them more it pulls the fingers in and the clutch will slip.

Later, tim

Thanks Tim...I will separate the motor and tranny at some point and pull it out and try again.

We also adjusted the valves this morning ...still tapping good so tossed some MMO in and will run it abit and change the oil next week.Definitely narrowed the tapping down to valve train...And best of all...I now know how to adjust them myself :grin:

I am just happy I can move him around now...Still alot to do..ign switch is a screw driver right now..going to have to swap the hard way...too much damage to the tumblers and the cylinders.

And the wiring for the analog...but the biggest hurdel ..to me...is done.

Couldnt have done it without the help. I feel like I didnt do anything honestly.But I did learn a bunch..and no longer feel intimidated by Head Gaskets. This widens my search for the right EA82 wagon now too.

well ...thanks to many for not letting me give up..my little 83 coupe is alive again after his bout with a small head gasket leak.

As some know...this was my first attempt at pulling a motor and basically...1 step short of rebuilding it...solo. I did pull the motor ..then took it apart to clean it all up and assess what that 236k mile motor was going to need. With the emotional support from many board members ( and much cursing on my part) my little ea82 now has...new headgaskets,oil pan gasket,front and rear mains,resealed completely, oil pump, water pump, hoses, brand new radiator, clutch and pressure plate,fuel filter ( both ) and a couple of smaller mods..xt6 alt ...and a weber:grin:.

ea82?

The dieseling is not a "problem" per-se. It's a result of quite a few factors - engine design, timing, idle speed, idle mixture, climate, ect. It cannot be avoided in all cases with the Subaru EA engines - that's why the stock carbs have anti-deiseling solenoids. You can adjust the idle speed/mixture and the timing and get it to stop most of the time but it will often return on a hot summer day. The solution if you want it gone permanently is to get the anti-dieseling solenoid for the Weber - they are about $40 and they simply replace the main idle jet holder on the front of the carb. Takes 5 minutes to install because the wireing for it is already there. You just screw it in, crimp a female spade terminal to the existing anti-diesel solenoid wire and hook it up.

The #4 cylinder tap could easily be one of the lifters on that side. Solid lifter's should be adjusted every 15k anyway so you might want to adjust them again. It only takes 30 minutes or so to check and adjust them all. If you have a set of long metric feeler gauges they make the job a bit easier. I also use a "midget" wrench set to do the adjustments - came with a Craftsman mechanic set I bought years ago - tiny little things just perfect for the valve adjusters. I've also done it with a 6" crescent but it doesn't give as nice of a feel.

GD

I am going to see how long and how bad the dieseling actually is but I may go the route of that AD valve. But only because ..it too nice a car to show up at a show with it and have it do it.Too many are unaware and will look down on the car.

Like I stated we did adjust the valves this morning...Backwoodsboy showed me how and we actually wrote the specs on the underside of the hood for easy viewing.:grin: It might clear up once its driven abit more...and the break in oil is changed. This poor motor was sitting dry on the garage floor for a couple months..immediately after being opened up and hosed out ..scrubbed and hosed again.

Cant wait to work the slippy clutch out and take it for a good spin...but so far I am extremely happy with the difference the Weber makes. And makes me love that little car even more (like that was possible)

And I am thankful for all of you that wouldnt let me give up.

If we get more of a chance and u want me to work on it more im pretty sure i can get rid of 95% of the dieseling. I got mine tuned so close that it only diesels once in a blue moon. It was just that by the time we got it up and running it was late so i did a quickie tune to get it running safely. Also i noticed looking down the top that you have the incorrect top gasket which might cause some problems stuttering around corners by allowing fuel to dump into the air correctors. I might have said something but not sure anyone heard me :rolleyes:

Ya Connie!:grin: Good to see that you got it running.

Let me know if you come across another set of those subaru emblems that go right below the side windows. Ya know the really pretty silver ones that you had gotten NOS. :slobber: The set I have broke, so I am looking if you ever see more decent ones.

I was talking to another member the other day and he said he bought the last 4 that were in the US :-\

Hey Steve...might have to do that sometime...Right now I want to try and get that clutch gripping better...then its into the wiring for the dash...eww.Right now I am just thankful that you guys got it running again and I can at least move it around. We started it up yesterday morning..didnt even have to touch the gas pedal:banana:

Speaking of Gas...How much of the food we sent back with you made it to the apt??:lol:

Speaking of Gas...How much of the food we sent back with you made it to the apt??:lol:

LMAO. Well all the chili and corn bread made it back. The rents saw the blackberry squares and wanted some so i had seconds saturday night. Two of those made it back and joe and i polished them off last night. The chili and cornbread should tide me over for a couple of days..since i dont think im going to have time to cook. I have an exam on wednesday. BTW dont know if ever thanked you for sending me back with so much food. But thanks :)

All is not well... Clutch slips aweful..and no its not the cable...and I found a massive oil leak..Rear main...that was changed...so car is down for the winter:-\ I dont have the patience right now to pull that motor again.

And those who feel they must..can laugh

Edited by Bucky92

NO laughing connie it happens ya know. Just be patient and try to work out the problems. You would half to pull the motor do work on the clutch anyways right so just replace the rear main while your doing that. It will work out connie you just wont be able to drive lb this year anymore but think how awsome it will be next year.

Ben

Come on Connie, you only got about a dozen bolts/nuts to remove and you could have it out in less than an hour. Fix the seal and I'll bet that takes care of the clutch slippage problem too. I pulled my motor and dropped in the other motor in my Brat with a come along hanging from a collection of 4x4 posts (my redneck engine hoist:lol:) all by myself with a bad back so I know you can do it. Take a breather for a couple days and get back in there before it's too damn cold to do it. Frank :) You can do it!!!!!!!

If you could get it up high enough it may be easier to drop the transmission. Just be sure to keep up with the shifter bushings. I know this works with EA82s... not too sure about EA81s.

So the rear main just got replaced and it's leaking again? That really does suck. What about the other seals? Everything else holding up fine? You HAVE to look on the bright side Connie because honestly... while what happened was unlucky, it's really not that inconvenient. At least you don't rely on that car as a daily driver.

All this will only make you appreciate Holly that much more. See what poor LB is putting himself through just so you fall in love with the newer, more reliable car? He cares about you... he knows what's best. Now it's your turn to show him how much YOU car about HIM. There's nothing time can't fix...

... There's nothing time can't fix...

I Agree!

Don`t Let a Li`l Problem like that, Stops you from Continue your Great and Well Done Work; Remember that Those li`l Situations are the Ones that makes us to be more Careful and More Experts on our Works.

Good Job! :burnout:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Yellow will be my New Colour if Board Remains Dark Grey! ;)

If you could get it up high enough it may be easier to drop the transmission. Just be sure to keep up with the shifter bushings. I know this works with EA82s... not too sure about EA81s.

Yup it works. I swapped trannies this way. Not the easiest thing in the world but yea it works.

For the record, not all weberized ea's diesel. None of mine do/did. It is a matter of getting them correctly set. This requires setting mixture, idle and timing to match the motor. It does take a skilled ear to do it right. Ed told me of someone on the left coast who was good at this type of thing back in the day. Maybe he can chime in or I can ask him when I see him next.

BTW, good for you!

I wish you luck on the clutch issue. The clutch on my 82 brat (new!) was slipping so bad I couldnt move the car more than slow walking speed. Everything showed in spec... new pressure plate, new disc, and resurfaced flywheel (measured to be where it should too) eventually I just bought a bigger 4WD flywheel from 83+ and another new clutch and the problem went away. Never found out what was wrong.

For the record, not all weberized ea's diesel. None of mine do/did. It is a matter of getting them correctly set. This requires setting mixture, idle and timing to match the motor.

I agree that you can get them to that level for our climate. Out here I have been able to tune them as you say. My hatch hasn't dieseled once since I installed the Weber and my tuning was done with a wide band O2 sensor.

But I hesitate to claim that this is possible everywhere. Elevation, temperature, and humidity have a large effect on mixture and timing settings with respect to engines that do not have computer compensation. I also point to the stock equipment as evidence that Fuji engineers recognized this potential and neatly avoided it by using the cut solenoid.

Also, certain states of tune (as may be required to pass emissions testing in some locales), WILL diesel due to the lean nature of such settings. The solenoid can eliminate it in these cases as well.

GD