Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on Subaru Brat

I'm thinking about purchasing a Brat and looking for advice.

I'll mostly be using it for commuting, with some weekend light duty truck jobs, light running to the dump or picking up heavy car parts.

Are there any years to avoid? Trouble areas to look for? I'm a former auto mechanic, but I haven't worked on Subarus.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

I'll mostly be using it for commuting, with some weekend light duty truck jobs, light running to the dump or picking up heavy car parts.

Commuting is fine if you don't mind 74 HP or you are planning a Legacy engine swap.

They aren't well suited to hauling..... first you have to understand that they aren't "trucks" at all. They are 100% identical to an EA81 Subaru wagon of the same vintage with respect to suspension and hauling capabilities. That includes an 800 lb max load rating including passengers. I have transported other Subaru engines without problem (Aluminum) and other light things, but it didn't like transporting a Hyundai 2.5L (mitsubishi. cast iron block), and transporting a Honda Magna 500cc motorcycle wasn't fun either.

The bed is little more than 5 feet long... hauling anything real long is basically impossible.

It's also difficult to justify using them as dump-haulers when you consider their collectible value and current going prices on ebay and other places. A decent Brat will set you back $3k to $5k, with pristine examples commanding closer to $10k. They don't get spectacular mileage (all are 4WD, so around 27 max). Brat specific parts are rare, aftermarket non-existent. Currently it can take many years to completely restore one. Perhaps in the future some of that will get easier as more people with the desire and the funds can sink money into aftermarket for restoration. It is difficult to source even simple things like door seals and windshield gaskets etc....

Are there any years to avoid? Trouble areas to look for? I'm a former auto mechanic, but I haven't worked on Subarus.

Gen 1's ('77 to '81) are smaller, and less desirable. '82 is a weird transition year but other than a lot of small changes it is basically similar to 83+. '83 to '87 are near identical. The body's tend to have rust issues in the eastern states especially around the wheel wells in the bed.

Other than that they are just as reliable as any other EA81 4WD. Which is to say they are VERY reliable with only a few minor problems that are easily fixed. The carbs are crap but can be upgraded to fuel injection or a Weber, and the 4 speed transmissions do suffer from some linkage and syncro issues. Those can also be upgraded to the later EA82 5 speed's.

Doesn't sound like it's really the right choice for what you want though.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

They are pretty underpowered in stock form.

7x Hp is not much. Like interstate driving you will barely keep it to the speed limit at times. even on highway driving uphills, they tend to loose some steam and chug along. they are slow, and have hard time keeping a steady speed up anytype hill

I have hauled a heavy steel desk in mine, a complete subaru EJ22 engine, and my 2 dogs. Its been great in that respect.

Tires- rims only came max size 13". Not much tire choice there for you.

gas mileage will vary. 20-23 is realistic, or maybe more. we all get different.

85 thru 87 had the engine not requiring valve adjustments at all. prior to 85 had to adjust valves every 15k miles recommended

85 and earlier had factory rear jumpseats, if you want to haul stuff, get a 86 and newer, no jumpseats to take up cargo room. you can always cut out them though so maybe earlier model, but plan to remove back jumpseats

expect to put work into one for reliable day to day driving. expect new axles, carb rebuild, new waterpump, new radiator, expect new hoses and belts etc.

rust is a big killer on these. must crawl under and check solidness of rocker panels, and for sure the rear shock mounts area.

also expect new motor mounts and transmission mounts unless you like changing axles twice a year.

I think the key is your definition of "heavy car parts." Cummins 6yl engine block? No. Extra Subaru engine and transmission? Yes. A small trailer might be a good solution for stuff that's truly "heavy." Likewise, a heavy-duty tarp would mitigate the condition of your Brat's bed against the crap you take to the dump and scrape out with a shovel.

I've had a Brat and would endorse a Legacy engine swap - this will buy you a little more weight to carry but keep in mind that the rear unibody and suspension have their own opinion unrelated to torque/hp. If you're not a contractor, or if you don't have large/heavy/long items to transport yourself, go ahead. Just think of it as a Subaru wagon without a roof ;)

I drive my 85 brat about 110 miles a day and for the last 2 years it has served me well. The 4 speed transmissions are not very good and can shift hard and grind. I put a 5 speed in mine and it feels much better. I carry odd parts in it, heaviest thing was a complete chevy 350 and did ok. With my 70% freeway driving I have been getting a bit over 32mpg for the last month after trying 0-20 synthetic oil. With cheap old 5-30 I got 28-31mpg usually.

Best use for a brat, take it to the drive-in. Pop the t-tops and open the back window so you can hear the radio and with the seats in back you have a perfect movie watching car.

From what you said, I think it would do fine. The older Subarus are actually quite capable vehicles, as I've noticed with my Brat and EA81 wagon. Baccaruda is right about defining "heavy" though.

Honda Magna 500cc motorcycle wasn't fun either.

From my quick Google search, those are about 450 pounds. I'm not sure how it found that noteworthy. My Brat has 200k miles on its engine and I didn't have a problem with 400 pounds of motorcycle in the back and 400 pounds of people in the cab. Obviously acceleration took a hit, but it didn't feel lethargic.

Also, on the subject of hauling, I've run my Brat around with a full EJ22, EA82T and '97 4EAT in the back, for a month, with no problems or remorse.

I drive my 85 brat about 110 miles a day and for the last 2 years it has served me well. The 4 speed transmissions are not very good and can shift hard and grind. I put a 5 speed in mine and it feels much better. I carry odd parts in it, heaviest thing was a complete chevy 350 and did ok. With my 70% freeway driving I have been getting a bit over 32mpg for the last month after trying 0-20 synthetic oil. With cheap old 5-30 I got 28-31mpg usually.

This sounds about right for me. 4 speed is getting clunky and I can get 33 highway and as high as 27 city. Unfortunately I'm a little impatient and aggressive (let's face it, it's a small engine and cities suck), so observed is more like 29 highway and 24 city. That said, I'm more than able to keep up with highway traffic, without a heavy foot, but 70 up mountain passes requires the pedal to be buried.

That's my take on the Brat from my last 6k miles and 5 months.

Also, this is pre-Weber carb. Weber helped with darting through traffic, but it doesn't feel much faster at speed.

I love mine and it when it was closer to stock form having it for a daily driver was awesome and reliable!! And I transported a 12k generator that weighed around 850lbs without any trouble at all! So I dunno what the others are really talking about with a 450 lb load having trouble? But that's just my experience!! But I also wouldn't do it often...its just not meant for it. They are a little quirky but hey that's part of the experience! I would also say that the EJ swap is the way to go even though I haven't done it but yeah close to double the power with a very reliable motor, how can you go wrong!! Oh and as far as GD's comment about them all being 4x4...I had a friend that had a Gen 1..can't remember exactly what year but it was a 2 wheel drive and was sold at the dealer new with a plow! Doesn't make a lot of since but just thought I'd throw that in. Anyways I would buy another brat in a second after owning mine for several years now. So go for it but take care of it!! And feel free to ask questions when it comes time to fix it!!:)

I've got a 1982, stock 4spd single range trans, stock 4cyl motor with 200,000+ miles on it.

I drive her to and from work 5 days a week plus whatever running I do on the weekends. This equates to about 330 - 350 miles a week, or 18000 miles a year. Averaging about 26 - 28 mpg, 80% highway

Up hills? No problem if you know how to drive it efficiently. It WILL lose steam if you're not at the right spot throttle wise.

Hauling? I've had 28 LARGE concrete masonary blocks in the back, wasn't on the bumpstops, she was pretty lethargic up hills and the steering was a bit lighter than I'm used to but she did it just fine. Full EJ22 in the bed, no probs... EA81 and 4spd S/R trans, also no probs... FULL load of firewood, again, sluggish up hill, steering light, but she still chugged along...

As previously mentioned, rust is the big killer... Rocker panels, front subframe, and the wheel wells in the bed are the main places to look. Check out ettev's thread here (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92751) for some pics of what CAN happen...

Maintenance wise I've only had a few things go south on me:

1. wiring issues... This was due to the previous owner botching things up REALLY badly

2. Automatic choke failed on the Hitachi carb... No biggie, it's now wired open, takes a little coercion to get it started on a cold morning but it still starts EVERY day.

3. passenger axle clicking occasionally

Edited by cobcob

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Don't want to start a flame war over my following comment, but for what you're looking to do I'd say stay away from the turbo model. They're somewhat rare so you probably won't run across one anyway, but it's the one I'd avoid considering what you want to do with it.

I own a '83 Brat, let me share some of my experiences with you.

Your first point... commuting. Its great for commuting. Just hope you dont plan on bringing more than 1 person with you. 74hp is enough for me to cruise at 80mph on the freeway. I average 20mpg city/freeway combined.

Hauling on the other hand. Like GD said, these are cars. Its just a car with no rear seats, instead a bed. A pretty small bed at that. I love my Brat because I can toss my mountain bike in the back and head to the trail. However, the bed isn't even long enough for my bike...i have to put my bike in at an angle. Doesn't bother me any, but gives you an idea on how small the bed is (and i dont have jumpseats, if I did i would have even LESS room).

I did use my brat a couple weeks ago to haul a load of firewood home. It definatly held alot more wood than my Legacy Wagon, but I was scared ***************less driving home. Braking, steering and maneuverability was very sketchy. And I only loaded wood to the top of the bed.

That same trip I used my hitch (yes, i got a hitch with a 2" ball) to tow a log splitter to my friends house. The log splitter is light enough for me to move by hand, but I could tell it was on the back of my brat while driving. Not enough weight to push me through stoplights or anything, but enough to effect the way the rear of my Brat performed in corners.

So with that being said, its definatly NOT a truck. Don't expect to haul your camping trailer to the woods. Don't expect to run to home depot and grab the materials to build a new deck. But DO expect to have a great time and turn ALOT of heads!

-Brian

Don't expect to run to home depot and grab the materials to build a new deck.

Done that too...

You definately notice the load and the bed IS short but mine has proved quite capable.

I certainly wouldn't attempt it in anything but ideal weather conditions. Wouldn't want to try to haul stuff in the wet or on icy roads

I love my brat and commute in it almost every day! I once hauled a steel wood stove insert with the brat. I got it in there and the rear wheels rubbed. Out came the sawsall and I trimmed my fenders on the spot! Still rubs with a lot of weight in there like a motorcycle (250-300#) when I turn.

I've got a tow hitch too, but I haven't towed anything yet.

I say buy one if you find it, if you dont like it I'm sure you could sell it again easily.

Daniel

I fit a love seat in mine.

0823081400-1.jpg

0823081504-1.jpg

I used an 83 as a daily drive for two years. Will not do it again. I hated driving it in city traffic, 74 hp is really a turd. Don't get me wrong, these are fun and rare vehicles. They are great conversation pieces at gas stations. They are great in the spring time, open them t-tops and have a ball.

Best advice I can give is not to get a DL BRAT.

Thanks to everyone who replied !

Now, as far as 74 horsepower goes, my current main commuter is a 1981 diesel Rabbit that has a screaming 52 horsepower. You might say I'm used to being passed by angry motorists already.

As far as rust, advice appreciated. I live in Tucson, AZ, so I'll try and find a local car, but I'll check those problem areas you all mentioned.

I don't expect to haul anything heavier than furniture (which will hang out the back) or maybe a VW Beetle engine or trans. Trips to the city dump will also be of the light duty variety.

I'm thinking of a cheap trailer (only about $ 200.00 at Harbor Frieght) for the random sheet of plywood or other bulky stuff.

I read that some of you recommend a swap to a Legacy engine. Could you be more specific? Is the FI wiring really complex? Does it bolt right up? What years to look for?

Thanks again!

Brian

I am a remodel carpenter, have used a brat for the last 15 years as my daily driver. I have an f-250 as back up. Don't let these guys talk you out of the brat. I tie all kinds of ladders, lumber across the back all the time. I have a gang box that sits length wise in the bed. When I want to take all the dogs to the woods I have a rolling cart that matches the tailgate height, and slide the box right out onto it and roll it into the garage. They don't like alot of weight but I have had around 800 lbs of concrete bags in it. I admit I was puckering a bit! They have awesome traction even without chains and just street tires. I had my '78 in 2 ft. of snow, that one has a 3" lift and 14 inch tires.

I also have hauled two irish wolfhounds and a great dane. Good thing they like each other. It will fit 4x8 sheets leaned over the tailgate. I can go to the woods an fill the bed level in about 2 hrs with fire wood.

If you get one, I have a really nice camper shell for one (level with the cab)for sale. It sits in my yard, don't think I'll ever use it.

Later, Dave in Prescott.

Edited by DaveAP

I dont own a brat nor have i ever but i have owned 2 EA81 vehicles (currently a 83 sedan). These are by far the most trouble free vehicles i have ever owned. They are quirky but turn heads everywhere. Most of the stuff that goes wrong with mine is because of me not cause of the car lol. I only have 2wd and it goes through most anything if i have good tires so a brat is unstoppable. I would vote you should go get one. Just make sure to get a GL for the T-tops.

Also should note that i daily drive my 83. consistently get 24+ mpg. Highway its 29+. Not bad for a 25 year old car.

If you find one with over 150K on it, expect to replace alot of the suspension/steering components. Experiment with loads, you will find a point where you and the car feel over-burdened.

I watched this guy haul the remnants of a deck in his trailer for a week.

It was full on all trips.

3f54618b.jpg

If you find one with over 150K on it, expect to replace alot of the suspension/steering components. Experiment with loads, you will find a point where you and the car feel over-burdened.

I watched this guy haul the remnants of a deck in his trailer for a week.

It was full on all trips.

3f54618b.jpg

I hadn't noticed the trailer is dual axle, and small wheels. Pretty quirky