Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I recieved these exhaust valves today for my 1.2L, EF-12e heads.

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1940

But I was wondering...The Just only has three exhaust valves. Guy sold these to me listed as set of 4. I thought it was a typo. I have 4 and they're not Genuine Subaru/Felpro. Made in Japan. I need another set of 3.

What car do these valves go to? They are correct for the Justy but...I haven't verified whether or not the groove is what the Justy has.

I'm easily amused.

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1945

What I did with my soobie. I stripped it this far. EF-12e, to me. Shaft mounted rockers very much like the EJ in that picture. Multi valve.

And I was thinking. That land speed record Justy. 1.2L block and head. 1.0L crank. So that means they would have pulled that top hat off, stuck a carb on each of those intake runners with a simple adaptor.

They ran within the 1L class rules slipping in the 1.2L head. I don't even know if that's true:) But...If the rulebook doesn't say it's illeagle, well.

Edited by Quidam

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1945

What I did with my soobie. I stripped it this far. EF-12e, to me. Shaft mounted rockers very much like the EJ in that picture. Multi valve.

And I was thinking. That land speed record Justy. 1.2L block and head. 1.0L crank. So that means they would have pulled that top hat off, stuck a carb on each of those intake runners with a simple adaptor.

They ran within the 1L class rules slipping in the 1.2L head. I don't even know if that's true:) But...If the rulebook doesn't say it's illeagle, well.

you gonna break that record?

No. That hasn't crossed my mind lately. It would probably cost me $30,000.00 to do that. Last time I looked.

Sincerely,

Doug

But, If I were to stick a carb on each runner and use the injecter bosses for Nitrous, I think that would work. But I don't have any plans to do it.

Edit: If I've got it straight, they turned that 1L Justy 9 to 12000 rpm, with custom pistons and stock rods.

And don't get me wrong. I don't assume that record can be taken down with that money. Those guys knew what they were doing, I believe. You'd have to find holes, improvements. You'd have to take what they did, to another level.

Because, in order to beat the best, you have to be the best.

Edited by Quidam

No. That hasn't crossed my mind lately. It would probably cost me $30,000.00 to do that. Last time I looked.

Sincerely,

Doug

But, If I were to stick a carb on each runner and use the injecter bosses for Nitrous, I think that would work. But I don't have any plans to do it.

Edit: If I've got it straight, they turned that 1L Justy 9 to 12000 rpm, with custom pistons and stock rods.

And don't get me wrong. I don't assume that record can be taken down with that money. Those guys knew what they were doing, I believe. You'd have to find holes, improvements. You'd have to take what they did, to another level.

all you need is big power and golf ball dimples to reduce drag!:lol::banana:

(cept not with clay!)

car-with-dimples-499x269.jpg

See thats the thing, back in '88 when they did that, they pushed the limit with what you can do to that engine while staying within the class ragulations. I dunno if you could even do anything more to the 1.0 now days, sure you can bore it out, but to much and its a diffrent class.

It would be interesting to see if/what they could do to that 1.0 with todays technology.

-Tom

See thats the thing, back in '88 when they did that, they pushed the limit with what you can do to that engine while staying within the class ragulations. I dunno if you could even do anything more to the 1.0 now days, sure you can bore it out, but to much and its a diffrent class.

It would be interesting to see if/what they could do to that 1.0 with todays technology.

-Tom

you werent even born in 88!:eek:

:lol: that made me feel old.

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1947

I don't know what happened, but this is not a good photograph.

I took my Soobie intake valves out of the chem dip. They look great, fat margins, a little recession.

My first choice is new ones, but I don't have any for a reasonable price.

This head may see turbo, nitrous, 10 to 1 forged flatops.

I'm almost positive the valve guides are done. The exhaust are always the worst. The take a beating.

These are 7mm stem. Those Nascar guys run a 7mm, with bronze guides with internal o-ring for the seal.

Edit:Priced a full dyno session with a motor on the stand. $500.00 local. I don't think I'll need it and it costs a lot. I'd have to have a reason. Guy buys a new Hemi block, stroker crank, 472 ci to fit the class. Indy cylinder heads and such. He blows two headgaskets befor putting it rebuilt on the dyno. They have it at 7000 rpm and it's putting out 650 hp when it blows another gasket. They tear it down and check the deck height, it's out .003. twisted. It's lived a long and fruitfull life since then.

Edited by Quidam

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1949

I needed to make a correction. I've never seen the intake manifold on the land speed justy, so I'm not sure what it had on it. I've never been able to find out. The runners are 36mm, exhaust ports about one and a quarter inch. Normally asperated i'd consider a 1 3/8" primary.

Edited by Quidam

Replaced torn boot today, and loaded it down for the Tree Run!!! (I need a computer at home so I can upload photos) :-p

Also tracked down my coolant leak, turned out to be a simple loose hose clamp.

Changed oil and gave her a dose of MMO, checked a filled all fluids as necesary.

Installed new CB Antenna

Thanks about it..nothing fancy.

-Caleb

new exhaust (I kind of wrecked my old one on some high ground. backed up into a clump of dirt and it made the tail pipe fall off and the muffler got messed up so it was not letting out exhaust . They fixed the muffler back now I just need to fix the exhaust manifold gaskets again as when it was not letting the exhaust out it blew out the gaskets. ) Today Hopefully get a new water pump (pumps leaking) new radiater hoses and exhaust manifold gaskets on .....

Hey,

You said: "all you need is big power and golf ball dimples to reduce drag"

:) If the rule book doesn't say one way or the other, then dimples are leagal.

I believe big power would be what it takes, at the end of the day.

NOW

Horse**** won't walk

Money talks

Now son, go build that three lock box.

1 3 2 lock box

Hey,

You said: "all you need is big power and golf ball dimples to reduce drag"

:) If the rule book doesn't say one way or the other, then dimples are leagal.

I believe big power would be what it takes, at the end of the day.

NOW

Horse**** won't walk

Money talks

Now son, go build that three lock box.

1 3 2 lock box

if someone started makin dimpled panels for these cars, i'd totally rock it! :)

as for now i just have a dimple on the hood of the car. :lol:

They have dimpled sheets that you can cut to size and glue down to your

car.

I'm not sure what the website is, but I saw the results on a scion xb and they

looked pretty good.

They're basically just sheets of plastic that are dimpled like a golf ball.

I'm pretty sure you can order different colors and the like.

I would search "dimpled car" or something like that (I would search it right

now but my phone can't handle multiple windows)

But it is a real product and has shown an increase in fuel economy (but no

top speed numbers :confused: )

Twitch

Relying on the wealth of information provided in this board, as well as the sources referred to in this board, I picked up a wrench for the first time in about 25 years, pulled the engine out of my daughters 97 OBW, pulled the heads, changed the gasket, had the valves done, replaced the water pump, and put it all back together again. To my utter surprise, it fired right up and ran. After dealing with a small issue with a mis-threaded EGR pipe fitting (had to pull the intake manifold back off and re-tap the threads) it even ran well.

Also, on advice from this forum, and willing to try anything before dropping the tailshaft from the AT, I began the process of flushing the tranny in order to deal with car's torque bind. One thing I didn't read here is how incredibly messy the job of dropping the pan and changing the AT filter is - all I can say is . . . damn. But, I was amazed at what a huge difference even one tranny fluid change made - the TB is almost completely gone. I will continue the three drain-and-fill process concluding with Mobile 1 synthetic and Trans-ex but I am relieved to not have to dig into the tranny.

Life has been good, until the "check engine" light came on tonight. It appears I have another adventure before me.:rolleyes:

Hey,

"They have dimpled sheets that you can cut to size and glue down to your

car"

How bout I just find a Justy that's got hail damage on every body panel from a hailstorm, in Colorado. ;) It would be stock.

I was in a metal building at Fort Carson during one, and it was Loud.

Doug

Hey,

"They have dimpled sheets that you can cut to size and glue down to your

car"

How bout I just find a Justy that's got hail damage on every body panel from a hailstorm, in Colorado. ;) It would be stock.

I was in a metal building at Fort Carson during one, and it was Loud.

Doug

i can only imagine how loud that was! yikes!