Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Official 6-Lug Re-drill Thread: Now in the USRM!

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#51 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Here's what that looks like.
http://www.ultimates...&pictureid=3107

WIRES!?!?!? Really???? :confused:

I'd like to see a pic of these mounted on a subaru... Hopefully with fully reversed offset, stretched tires, and Ice-T in the driver seat...... :rolleyes:

:Flame:

#52 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  • USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Really, lmao:) Got them off a Nissan pickup.
http://www.ultimates...&pictureid=3110

#53 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I wouldn't try to weld up the extra holes. There's too much of a chance you're going to warp the rim doing that. To get it hot enough for decent penetration, it's going to warp.

#54 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I wouldn't try to weld up the extra holes. There's too much of a chance you're going to warp the rim doing that. To get it hot enough for decent penetration, it's going to warp.

I was thinking some steel rod to use as a plug. Have a bevelled edge on the plug and use the bevel holes on the wheel. Use enough to get a tack or two going and you won't need to sit there and try and fill the hole with weld?

Anyone think that would work?

#55 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I wouldn't try to fill the holes with welding wire or rod anyway, I'd weld a patch in. But why? If you weld enough to get good penetration you're going to warp the rim. If you just tack it in place really quick, it's merely cosmetic. I guess if that floats your boat, go for it. Or just get hubcaps.

#56 shortysayhi

shortysayhi

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Conifer (outside denver)

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have found 2 sets of 4. Of these wheels in co. They are asking 100-130. And the wheels are Chevy wheels as well as trailer wheels. (the width might be slightly different tho)

#57 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have found 2 sets of 4. Of these wheels in co. They are asking 100-130. And the wheels are Chevy wheels as well as trailer wheels. (the width might be slightly different tho)

Chevy wheels have a very incorrect offset and will stick out of the wheel well, and will result in cutting the fenders drastically, fyi.

As for filling holes, good thought on possible warpage of the rim.

#58 FlatFourFrenchy

FlatFourFrenchy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Central Missouri

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

I found some Chevy Colorado 2WD wheels. 15 x 6 and offset to inside. They fit right up to the larger truck six hole hubs. I am still trying to talk the sales manager out of them for a decent price since I am not sure if they will work. I will keep you posted.

#59 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

The Colorado wheels probably have a closer offset to the Subarus, mainly its the old 70s/80s GM wheels which stick out a lot :)

#60 kanurys

kanurys

High Altitude GL

• Members
  • 690 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

I thought the Chevy 2wd wheels had too small of a center hole ...

#61 FlatFourFrenchy

FlatFourFrenchy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Central Missouri

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

I will measure them. They have a rather large hole to fit the trapped rotor style hub on the Colorado. The center hiole is 3 and 7/8".

Edited by FlatFourFrenchy, 10 April 2012 - 07:16 AM.
updated

#62 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I will measure them. They have a rather large hole to fit the trapped rotor style hub on the Colorado. The center hiole is 3 and 7/8".

3-7/8" should be just fine, Stock Subaru caps might even clip in the hole.

#63 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I am now debating on either drilling the Wheel, or the hub... Hmm. Does anyone have a picture of a redrilled hub? The front/disc style would be more helpful.

#64 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • North ID

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

If you are not set on any particular 4-lug wheel, go for the 6-lug swap.

I would have, if I had not already spent $1200 on two sets of new tires (winter and summer) on 4-lug 13" wheels. :horse:

#65 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

If you are not set on any particular 4-lug wheel, go for the 6-lug swap.

I would have, if I had not already spent $1200 on two sets of new tires (winter and summer) on 4-lug 13" wheels. :horse:

6 lug swap? I want to say I remember this, but not sure. Have a link?

#66 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • North ID

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

When i say 6-lug swap, I mean hubs drilled for 6-lug.

:drunk:

#67 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

When i say 6-lug swap, I mean hubs drilled for 6-lug.

Gaatcha!

Is there even enough surface to do this on the front wheel spindles? I know drums have more then enough room. Picture of a redrilled wheel spindle would be tits!

Here is a thread from Canada, these look like a mess omg. I don't think these hosers know what der doing there eh.
http://montrealracin...drilling-wheels

#68 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • North ID

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

check this link out

http://www.subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm

#69 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I am now debating on either drilling the Wheel, or the hub... Hmm. Does anyone have a picture of a redrilled hub? The front/disc style would be more helpful.

few pics of the 6-lug conversion on my brat
Posted Image

rear disc hubs
Posted Image

#70 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Both are good posts, Good detailed pictures and a good link on "How To"

Thank you.

WTF is with those (Lift?) blocks? Looks rather scary.. :drunk:

Edited by TheLoyale, 10 April 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#71 czny

czny

USMB is life!

• Silver Subscribers
  • 343 posts
  • Azusa, California

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I opted for the 14x6 Mazda truck wheels which have a smaller center hole(hub centric). Mounted the hubs on outer axle stubs & turned down the 4 nubs to fit on my bench lathe. Drilled starter pilots with a 9/16" bit from the wheel lug holes then drilled 3/8" pilots thru. Machined flats from the other side with a 7/8" counterbore & 3/8" pilot(enco.com). Then increased the hole to 35/64" in steps. Built up 3 short beads of weld around the hole with a MIG then cleaned up with angle grinder & die grinder. The hubs are steel & weld easily(Just not too much heat to warp them.) Used 610-322 Dorman wheelstuds(rockauto). Pressed studs almost to bottom of knurl & let torqued lugnuts square the studs to the hub.

87 GL wagon with 4" SJR lift, 27x8.5x14 Grabbers on Mazda PU whls.

Attached Files

• Attached File  122.jpg   40.36K   60 downloads
  • Attached File  124.jpg   28.81K   65 downloads
  • Attached File  133.jpg   50.77K   76 downloads
  • Attached File  140.jpg   52.13K   69 downloads
  • Attached File  145.jpg   22.76K   62 downloads

Edited by czny, 10 April 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#72 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

WTF is with those (Lift?) blocks? Looks rather scary.. :drunk:

Strut extensions. IMO the best way to do it. I helped design them, and a friend machined them. They're turned down from solid steel....probably the strongest thing on the rig.

#73 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

MOST chevy wheels you find from 2wd's will be 5 lug, not the appropriate 6 anyhow. Only a small amount of the newer, smaller 2wds use the right 6x5.5 you need for the swap. Other 6x5.5 rigs are Nissan, Mitsubishi, Dodge Mighty Max/D50, 4wd Chevy's (careful with this one) early steels often don't have enough backspace/too much offset, and later alloys dont have large enough center holes, recent model 4x4 Fords...i'm sure i'm forgetting some.

I found some Chevy Colorado 2WD wheels. 15 x 6 and offset to inside. They fit right up to the larger truck six hole hubs. I am still trying to talk the sales manager out of them for a decent price since I am not sure if they will work. I will keep you posted.

What size is the center hole on the back of these wheels? Reconsidering the six lug option for my car now that i have access to a lathe.

#74 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

This Really Looks Good!

few pics of the 6-lug conversion on my brat
Posted Image

rear disc hubs
Posted Image

I Did something Similar but 4 Lugs... Just Moved 'em to a More "Standard" (Popular) Pattern, as you can see ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

#75 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

MOST chevy wheels you find from 2wd's will be 5 lug, not the appropriate 6 anyhow. Only a small amount of the newer, smaller 2wds use the right 6x5.5 you need for the swap. Other 6x5.5 rigs are Nissan, Mitsubishi, Dodge Mighty Max/D50, 4wd Chevy's (careful with this one) early steels often don't have enough backspace/too much offset, and later alloys dont have large enough center holes, recent model 4x4 Fords...i'm sure i'm forgetting some.

Say you're in a junk yard or whatever looking for a set of wheels. What's the proper way to measure backspacing?
Is it the distance from the inside of the mounting flange to the inner lip of the wheel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users