Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The third eye

After reading some threads about the "third eye" headlight on older soobs...I'm curious. What was that actually intended for?

I've heard it was a passing light, and a fog/driving light.

I think they're kinda cool and have a certain James Bondish thing going on.

I wish mine had one.

I use it for driving through deer territory. The light shines really far down the road so you can see deer. Maybe it was called a passsing light because when you pass someone you need to see far down the road for oncoming traffic. Either way its a way cool suby thang.

I use it for driving through deer territory. The light shines really far down the road so you can see deer. Maybe it was called a passsing light because when you pass someone you need to see far down the road for oncoming traffic. Either way its a way cool suby thang.

lol :lol:

a passing light is used for signalling to other cars (for whatever reason) that's why on some cars it is called, not a passing light, but a signalling light

guess the guys at subaru were bored again by there own body designs (no offence ;)) and just thought: "what the heck, lets place it in the middle of the grill, BEHIND the emblem"

or something

Joost

There are wiring diagrams out there on the board.

The lamp is listed as a "Center Lamp" on the actual switch that turns it on.

1982 was the last year it was offered.

The purpose was for an aid to the bright lights or high beams.

They have the thing wired to only come on when the high beams are on

and only if the center lamp switch is turned on.

As soon as you flip off the brights, the center lamp door closes and the light goes off.

You can install the cyclops light on any early to mid 80's car by swapping the center section of the grill with an 82.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--used to have a center lamp.

84 GL--no center lamp yet...?

01 Forester--hummm....

Someone had a real good diagram of the wiring fort he 3rd eye, and relay part numbers that you could use to get all the pieces from Radio Shack. It was on the USRM, but the USRM has been down for a while.

-Brian

Is this it?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/3rdEye/using_center_light_w.htm

That's exactly what I needed. :cool:

You cant use the 82 grill unless you have the 2 headlight front end with the square headlights. If you have an 83/84+ quad headlamp take your existing grill and cut out the emblem so that the grill has room for the door to fit.

Ive had 5 of these now, including one in my Vanagon...im sure a first.

• 2 weeks later...
After reading some threads about the "third eye" headlight on older soobs...I'm curious. What was that actually intended for?

I've heard it was a passing light, and a fog/driving light.

I think they're kinda cool and have a certain James Bondish thing going on.

I wish mine had one.

on my 1980 gl the button on the dash says passing light.I am missing the door but it does operate. I have a complete set up for a different year but the door is smaller

The first design 3rd eyes had a larger, more elaborate door. It had quite a bit of chrome on it and some would consider it a little gaudy. I think they look kinda neat, retro 60sish.

The 82 models have a smaller door that blends into the grille really well. Most people dont even notice its there until its turned on. The button is located on the dash, down low by the left knee. I have seen "Center Lamp", "Passing Lamp" and (as mine says) "Offroad Lamp" on the button, which lights up a nice blue when turned on.

If installing/purchasing one, be careful. The center lamp doors are powered two ways; Electric, or Vaccuum. Electric is a relatively simple mechanism. However, the Vaccuum operated doors require; Vaccuum! Kinda a pain in the @$$ to set up. They do look cool if you just cut a NICE hole in a quad lamp grille though!

this is from the 80's Subarus "Helpful Diagrams" page...

uses the DPDT switch identified in the link further up in this thread....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/diagrams/centerlamp-wire.jpg

wiring it up this way makes it always available, and much easier than tying into existing circuitry...

also, the 80-81 centerlamps would come on with highs or lows. only 82 were tied to highs only.

this is from the 80's Subarus "Helpful Diagrams" page...

uses the DPDT switch identified in the link further up in this thread....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/diagrams/centerlamp-wire.jpg

wiring it up this way makes it always available, and much easier than tying into existing circuitry...

also, the 80-81 centerlamps would come on with highs or lows. only 82 were tied to highs only.

Thanks Mic.. That's the one I was talking about. Didn't know it was still on here, thought it went the way of the lost Repair Manual stuff.

Figures mine would be tied to the hi-beams only, (I didn't know that the earlier ones were tied to both)... Maybe I'll just run new wires to the control relay (instead of wiring in new DPDT switch) and use the stock switch. Hmmm....

• 3 months later...

I think they must have realized in '82 that a subaru wasn't likely to be able to "pass" a whole lot of other vehicles effectively, and changed the sticker on the button to read "center lamp" - 80/81 read "passing lamp". I have never seen "offroad lamp" - that's a new one to me. Is it geniune?

I have one in the garage I may install on my wagon at some point - I have the control box, and the switch for it too... but then I have been collecting parts for what amount to years now. I have actually forgotton some of the interesting things burried in my garage. Maybe some of it will surface one day.

GD

veronica has the "eye". (82 wagon) button on the dash says "center lamp". and it works with the low beams too. i checked under the dash and theres no "fancy" wiring to it so i would say that the low beam setup is factory. ive also got three more of the light/motor/bracket/wiring setups in the garage that ive been collecting over the years. the hatch is gonna get one before long. just need the quad headlights.

• 4 months later...

I'm working on installing my third eye this weekend. I'm not sure if mine is workingf on vaccum, or what. There is a small hose that could be a vaccum line, but it looks more like a fish aquariun tube. If I do need to hook it up to the vaccum system, how do I do that?

Also, I do have a "Center Lamp" switch, How do I use it. The instructions are only for the radio shack switch.

I finally got the grill cut out to fit. You gotta love a dremmel tool.

I scored a 3rd eye at the junk yard last time I was there that was complete and minus the linkage. I was looking for an undamaged speaker cover on the drivers side and there is was on the passenger side on the floor...the best part is I know a guy that works there and get the stuff I get for free or super cheap...got everything I got that day for free...WoooHooo!! :headbang:

Now I just need to cut out the hole in my grill for the light.

Lucas

• 2 years later...

bumping the dead. I am going to tackle mine this weekend, but would like some wiring info as the one Mick posted is :dead:

I would rather just hook it up to my Hella relay and have it separate from the factory wiring. I mean it is a 100 watt light, so a relay would be nice for it.

anybody have wiring info?

I was told that the eye was for off roading on the 4x4 models and passing on the front wheel models.As for off road it fills in those dark areas just in front of the car so you can see what your about to hit:banana:

My 1982 4X4 Hatch came with one and the button says "Center Lamp"

Also I have seen it with the 4 light set-up. I'm not sure if it's factory or not, but it looks good.

423e3.jpg