Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Made my trailing arm spacers, and cut my front bumper for more clearance. I think it looks very good http://s296.photobucket.com/user/ComatoseLlama/media/20150519_223042_zpsbqd7qsfc.jpg.html?src=pb_unauth#sthash.DjNVL9Ok.sfju

One question though, is there a secret to getting the tie rod ends off? It came with new ones but I can't get the old ones off.

Made my trailing arm spacers, and cut my front bumper for more clearance. I think it looks very good http://s296.photobucket.com/user/ComatoseLlama/media/20150519_223042_zpsbqd7qsfc.jpg.html?src=pb_unauth#sthash.DjNVL9Ok.sfju

One question though, is there a secret to getting the tie rod ends off? It came with new ones but I can't get the old ones off.

They should just unscrew. I have not done subie ones but on my pontiac it was just screwed on. I used spray paint to tell me the position.

I guess the main problem is that it's a michigan car, rusted to hell and back

I tried at a pun, lol

Lol.   Try using PB spray. 

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Commercial-Products/Blaster/Penetrating-Catalyst201982?trackURL=froogle&gclid=CJXCgY3F1cUCFdgDgQodIGcAHg

Also.. Autoparts stores sell a spray that sinks under the rust and brings everything off the metal.  That should be your last resort.

Don't twist too hard on the tie rod as it could twist or snap.  Use the PB spray and a torch. I'm sure you can convince it off.

Lol.   Try using PB spray. 

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Commercial-Products/Blaster/Penetrating-Catalyst201982?trackURL=froogle&gclid=CJXCgY3F1cUCFdgDgQodIGcAHg

Also.. Autoparts stores sell a spray that sinks under the rust and brings everything off the metal.  That should be your last resort.

Don't twist too hard on the tie rod as it could twist or snap.  Use the PB spray and a torch. I'm sure you can convince it off.

Used a can so far, and a lot of MAPP. Biggest problem is just where they are.... giant pita without a lift

Used a can so far, and a lot of MAPP. Biggest problem is just where they are.... giant pita without a lift

I feel ya! dunno if it would help but perhaps removing the entire arm from the car might be easier then you would have more access to the knuckle itself.    I heard that hitting it and cussing at it helps too. I know it helped with my rust stuck ball joints.

I feel ya! dunno if it would help but perhaps removing the entire arm from the car might be easier then you would have more access to the knuckle itself.    I heard that hitting it and cussing at it helps too. I know it helped with my rust stuck ball joints.

In addition to cussing it also requires at least three knuckle scrapes with a good amount of bleeding. That helps you find more cuss words too. ;)

• Like 1

Finally got around to putting on the 5x100 adapters and the Buddy Racing wheels (15x6.5) with Toyo Proxes T1R 195/45 tires.  Took a bit of massaging to get the wheels to fit, thank goodness a friend works at a machine shop as we had to mill out the wheels just slightly.

Need to lower the rear for sure, going to see what I can do with just torsion bar adjustment first.  For the Front I have 2wd struts in place.

PWBlPK6.jpg

PuZ6W4W.jpg

• Like 3

I can get it off the knuckle, (ball joint separators are amazing, the kind where you use an impact wrench), but as far as unscrewing it, it's stuck. Same with the calipers to the backing plates. Just gonna go to the local place and get them installed, shouldn't be too horrible of a price, as I have all the parts.

Finally got around to putting on the 5x100 adapters and the Buddy Racing wheels (15x6.5) with Toyo Proxes T1R 195/45 tires.  Took a bit of massaging to get the wheels to fit, thank goodness a friend works at a machine shop as we had to mill out the wheels just slightly.

Need to lower the rear for sure, going to see what I can do with just torsion bar adjustment first.  For the Front I have 2wd struts in place.

PWBlPK6.jpg

PuZ6W4W.jpg

Are you near A2? Would love to come out and do a photoshoot on that car, need to get my auto shooting skills better. Beautiful brat

Certainly is one sweet Brat and those wheels and the Gold centres with the polished rim match that particular Brat color scheme just perfectly.

My efforts for the Brumby this weekend consisted of rebuilding some low mileage driveshafts ready for fuure use 147,000 KM originals Man they are babies in Subaru land and cleaning up the PS rack from the same donor as well as fitting a new Fuse Box for accessories in the Engine bay complete with Led telltales if a fuse blows, Replaced the PIAA relay and rewired the wiring to suit another relay style so my LED driving lights work again.

Also working out and fabbing the bracketry to fit an EA 82 Power Steer pump EA 81 turbo style seeing as I detest the normal EA 81 humungous pump hanging off the cylinder head with an idler pulley bracket that resembles a Boomerang out of Mad Max, I will convert the whole system to a serpentine belt setup when finished, Water pump, Alternator and PS pump.

Oh and some Bling for the PS lines seeing as I have so many Metric AN fittings courtesy of the Late  Al Holberts Porsche race car I will make up some fancy Power Steer lines to fit the system up when I do it.

Edited by coxy
  • Like 2

Seeing as often it crops up that people like to play with or convert to Turbocharging on some older Subies here is a link to a good paper from Formula SAE on Turbo development, some good info in here especially when you look at the contributors such as Dale Banks etc.

http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1155&context=mesp

Certainly is one sweet Brat and those wheels and the Gold centres with the polished rim match that particular Brat color scheme just perfectly.

My efforts for the Brumby this weekend consisted of rebuilding some low mileage driveshafts ready for fuure use 147,000 KM originals Man they are babies in Subaru land and cleaning up the PS rack from the same donor as well as fitting a new Fuse Box for accessories in the Engine bay complete with Led telltales if a fuse blows, Replaced the PIAA relay and rewired the wiring to suit another relay style so my LED driving lights work again.

Also working out and fabbing the bracketry to fit an EA 82 Power Steer pump EA 81 turbo style seeing as I detest the normal EA 81 humungous pump hanging off the cylinder head with an idler pulley bracket that resembles a Boomerang out of Mad Max, I will convert the whole system to a serpentine belt setup when finished, Water pump, Alternator and PS pump.

Oh and some Bling for the PS lines seeing as I have so many Metric AN fittings courtesy of the Late  Al Holberts Porsche race car I will make up some fancy Power Steer lines to fit the system up when I do it.

Man, someone else that hates this EA81 PS set up ! It looks more like something from early 1960's, English, when PS was a 500 pound option on a 2000 pound car - explains why I saw no value in a set-up and tossed it, later to be astounded people pay hundreds for a leaky old thing, more hundreds to reco them !!

Be real keen to see your A82 adaptation to an EA81 Coxy :)

PWBlPK6.jpg

PuZ6W4W.jpg

Are you near A2? Would love to come out and do a photoshoot on that car, need to get my auto shooting skills better. Beautiful brat, and a badass XJ

You guys've been busy!

I finally got around to fixin my electrical woes after having all of the dash/HVAC out. Blinkers didnt work still, after i had it all together. Thought it was a bad turn signal switch. Nope. Wasnt getting power to the yellow wire that powers the blinkers. (Hazards worked fine)

Dug around for a bit without tearing it all apart very far again. Said nuts to it, and soldered a wire on in the signal switch, giving the yellow wire power, stolen from the hazard circuit. Bingo! Cleaned the carpet, installed my seats, double checked to make sure all my I's were dotted and T's crossed.

Took her for a spin!

Woohoo! Alls well. It hasnt left my driveway since maybe last august. It finally came up as a priority to get it finished, as my old beater Dodge truck busted something in the front axle....and i needed the spot in front of the garage that the subie was in.

Plus, i was getting tired of having a derelict automobile just sittin there.

That looks sweet. Did you do that yourself?

Been trying to get one made to do the opposite. Fit an EA MAF sensor onto an EJ airbox.

I'd originally planned to fit an EJ20T into mine, but that got scrapped. But not after I'd cut out the support bracket that holds the airbox in. So either I put the bracket back in or adapt the MAF sensor...