Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Thank you for your Response.

Lateral Wiggle sounds like the normal Worn Bushings' feeling, isn't it?

Kind Regards.

I guess I should say "lots of lateral wiggle as compared to the amount of lateral wiggle you would have with a block of steel (none)." My point was just that this is still a flexible connection like the initial design intended for it to be, rather that a solid connection like you would get if you replaced the rubber with a piece of steel.

In short, it wiggles and flexes like a soft rubber bushing, which I imagine is the goal.

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by jmoss5723
  • Like 1

3 years and 10,000 miles ago I fixed mine with a couple pipe clamps and zip ties. 

/backs slowly away. 

So,

What is the Meanin' of /backs slowly away?

i think the rubbery 'give' is needed to prevent stress fractures to the floor where just one bolt holds it all together

Interesting...

I still believe that the Rubber cube is for vibration dampening purposes only.  :) 

... "lots of lateral wiggle as compared to the amount of lateral wiggle you would have with a block of steel (none)" ...

Now I Understand...

Yes the Rubber shall give certain amount of wiggle to the Shifter.

Today I made a couple of Phone calls to Vulcanization & tire Repair Shops, and seems like they could put New Rubber on the two metal pieces, in fact, they told me that it is a very common procedure locally, to fix those kind of Metal + Rubber Mounts.

I'll see which one of those shops will do the Job of redoing the Rubber.

Kind Regards.

I sold her! :-/ 

After 4 years or so of owning her, She had a good run. I turned around and sold her for 1300 bucks on CraigsList. 

10441915_10155486103745727_6324939742596

Alternatively, I bought. This:

10477397_10155486334640727_3030294329599

"Abby" - 2009 Forester 2.5x (SOHC) 92k on the clock. Super clean. Has a LOT more pep in it step than the impy did. 

Initially we werent going to buy it since we had a perfectly good car already. I wanted to get my wife into something a little nicer. On monday last week they wanted 15,500 out the door, That Thursday we were out for under 14 after taxes. Probably the nicest car i've ever owned!

-Justin

• Like 2

What is the Meanin' of backs slowly away

Guy was just making a joke about how.... Not very sophisticated his repair was, but that it still works.

Like an emoticon, but in words.

I hope that explains it. Just a little confusing to understand if you are unfamiliar with them.

• Like 1

Guy was just making a joke about how.... Not very sophisticated his repair was, but that it still works...

Kinda like if you asked me something I didn't know the answer to and I said to you in reply

*shrugs*

Thanks for the Explanation.

As my mother language is Spanish, and I Learned by myself the English, Usually I fail to catch the Jokes.

What I have done to my Subie?

Well, I didn't had fixed the Shifter Yet, due to a severe Lack of free time, I have been extremely Busy doing other People's Cars repairs, and many errands, etc ... but I polished my New -to me- set of 15" Wheels for my "BumbleBeast" Subaru, see:

This is how the New -to me- Polished Wheels looks like ...

Cinco%20Rines.jpg

... Next to my Old, unpolished Wheel of the same brand, style & measurements,

which I have as Spare Tire since many Years ago.

Now I need to Find a set of Subaru mini center caps for those Wheels.

55 mm outer / 49 mm inner measurement of Center bore...

Anyone has a set, and the will to sell it to me;) 

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Bought a pair of US spec corner lights from the local pick a park in Las Vegas. Will have to wait til I get home to aus to see how well they mount up (because we have plastic backed headlights, not metal ones), but looks like the top bracket screws on the in the same spot.

Problem I've got is the "main" bayonet style lights are brittle and they won't stay in anymore. Any recommendations on where to buy replacements? Still going to need to modify the wiring because Aus cars use the side yellow light as an indicator only.

Yesterday was on the ferry. Arrived in Bremrton and went to start up to offload and only rrrr rrrr rrrr no start.  I had to get a jump start. Turns out the pos battery terminal was growing greenies and this created resistance such that the battery did not charge. Got it home and cleaned the terminal with baking soda,wiped, terminal brush and tightened down. No problems today at all.  It is embarrassing being the "stuck car" holding the ferry up.

... I'll see which one of those shops will do the Job of redoing the Rubber ...

After calling and going to some Vulcanization Shops asking for a Rubber Cube's redone, they were Honest to me, telling me that Yes, they can redone a Rubber Cube there, but the thing will not Last too Much...

Broke%20away%20rubber%20Joint.jpg

Also, I measured the area, since I have installed a Lift Kit that dropped the Engine's Crossmember, I decided that instead of a one inch cube like it came from factory, now it will need another half inch to work easier.

So due to the Lack of Time and the Lack of spare parts locally, I obtained a Thick Squared Metal, and welded " ...

Welded%20Joint.jpg

...tall there, in place of the 1" Rubber cube. Now the Anti-Rust paint is Drying at the Sun... I'll Report back if the Full Metal Part delivers too much Drivetrain's Vibrations to the Shifter.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

After posting that last photo, I realized that the Perfect Blue Sky, and part of my Garage's Roof are reflected on the painted metal... I'll wait 'till the paint is fully cured, to reassemble it, then I'll report the feeling and results of my "Repair"  :D 

If something goes wrong, then I'll search for a suitable rubber replacement... Kind Regards.

The maximum tallness should be between and "

But since the whole drivetrain has moved backward an inch...

Small%20Bends.jpg

...I had to do a small bend on each side to make it Fit there.

Edit: the Drivetrain moved due to the Lift kit, which dropped the Engine's Crossmember,

I shall welded the tube an inch closer... my mistake.

Kind Regards.

The Shifter really Feels more Solid and Rigid, but nothing exaggerated.

Beside the normal "Feeling" of the Shifter going into a Gear, Now you can Hear a small muted sound on the Floor, along that feeling.

Engine's vibrations now are sent in a certain small amount, to all the Floor, without the Rubber Cube, but the Shifter's Vibrations are the Same as Before.

So the Rubber Cube was for isolating the Drivetrain from the Body, not for the Shifter itself.

Those three are the only changes I could notice so far.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

just finishing up on the restoration of my mag wheels,

Before and after sandblasting
http://puu.sh/gSHLL/72f5d7659a.jpg

Got them powdercoated black, Didnt get a picture of them all black (unsure why not) haha
Put them into a cnc mill, probed up to them recorded points then made up the profile of them
http://puu.sh/gSIjl/d015177ae2.jpg

Wheel in the cnc lathe being turned
http://puu.sh/gSHYe/9569dd3783.jpg

The outcome
http://puu.sh/gSHQj/1f60e5e4e1.jpg

missed small parts on a couple of them that I'm hand polishing out
http://puu.sh/gSHRj/430a129a7d.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how they have turned out, and it hasn't cost me an arm and a leg which is good

• Like 2

Swapped out the incandescents and my regular flasher for some cheap LED's off of amazon and by george them suckers are bright.

Had to replace the backing and spring on one of the sockets as it had rusted and corroded beyond use. One quick snip and crimp and I had a new power wire.

Been looking into stereos and found something interesting on a Chinese knockoff sales site:

http://www.wish.com/geek/m/c/543fa37cf8abc84273b9cbff‎

90% of what they have are Chinese knockoffs or blems of regular products. Lots off neat stuff on there.

Anyway, thoughts on the radio for a 2nd Gen standard console?

It looks shallow enough and of better quality of some duals I've seen...

Twitch

• Like 1

I rebuilt the front end in my wagon: Struts, bushings, ball joints, bearings, rotors, calipers, WRX brake lines, CVs and new paint on anything I touched. As I was working on it during breaks in the weather before work, it was taking close to two weeks to finish. During this time I was driving my hatch as a daily. 

This Saturday, while driving home from work, the hatchy's voltmeter spiked to the 17v-18v range. Uh-oh. 

Long story short, I buttoned up the wagon (finally,) drove it to the Pick n'Pull, got the alternator plug from a 92 Maxima (the alt itself was an original Nissan unit, obviously well worn, and covered in oil, so I left it,) stopped at the parts house on the way home and picked up a remanufactured alternator. 

Got the spacer cut down, wired the plug up, and now have 14.3v with everything on at idle.  :D

Wagon drives like a dream. Got rid of a CV/bearing noise, and have zero vibration at highway speeds. 

On to the next project.  :P

Dan