Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Wish I still had it / kept it instead of giving it away in 2009   (needed new tyres and a battery more than what it was worth to sell)    :(

Still had plenty of life left in it

Had Outback and Brumby (Brat) as well  

Had for 15 years added 200K km (125K miles) in that time ( 350K km - 220K miles total) 

The bitter irony is that is probably the best car I've ever owned for reliability simplicity cost to run etc.

86 GL  5MT D/R   Alloys Aftermarket fitted to some of these of this vintage  in  NZ 

1934397_1030570381198_4050791_n.jpg?oh=5

Edited by subnz

Pulled EA-82 engine out today from my parts car to rebuild and have a spare engine when the other gives out,

and I didn't realize you also had to pull the A/C radiator for the bottom engine studs to clear the torque converter(i hate automatics), couldn't remove torque converter since there wasn't enough room to go foward and now i was stuck, so i went to plan B, and that was to cut and rip the chunk of metal that goes over the radiator so the engine could be pulled out,

anyways I will rebuild and clean up the engine during fall and winter since i don't want to be working on it in 100degree weather...

IMG_1090_zpsofsiotor.jpg

IMG_1092_zpsmq5uzaja.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsvj888t6b.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried unbolting the rear trans crossmember to allow the back of the trans to drop down, giving you more angle to pull the engine off?

pffft, 100 degrees. Soft :P

i hate the heat, you might be used to it, but i prefer 30degrees over 90degrees..

and lots of giant fire ants on the ground, didn't feel like getting bit some more lol, although that did pop into my mind, transmission has to be bolted on somehow, but being a 4WD Auto, it might have been more work than to just rip the chunk of metal over the radiator.

Edited by Subasaurus

not quite used to it, but need to cope with hotter temps than that.

You might have needed to unbolt the shifter linkage, but the crossmember is only 4 bolts.

Should've dropped some tranny fluid on the ants :P

and then lit it :Flame:

Edited by wagonist
  • Like 1

Got the GL pretty much entirely stripped. Engine out and shipped, trans out, door cards, speakers, relays, stereo, all stripped out. Just gotta snag the a/c lines and then it's off to that great junkyard in the sky for that poor sedan. Fun fact! The harness connector for the ashtray light and the trunk light are both wired and in place on the Loyale, though unused. I grabbed the trunk light and ashtray light out of my GL and swapped them in to my Loyale and it was a simple plug and play operation. You need the guide plate of the ashtray from the GL however, the Loyale one doesn't have the cut out for the light.

• Like 1

WRX started after work, then stalled after 2 seconds. CEL on. , cranks, but won't fire.

co worker had Torque app and his BT adapter. one code only, P0335 (crank sensor)

some time back, I replaced the CPS while chasing another problem. I found my original one and hope to swap it in tomorrow at morning break.

fingers crossed it's the sensor and not some melted wiring or ??? somewhere else.

(brutally hot recently)

Been busy the last couple day on the car! Read shocks were shot so I sourced some rears out of an 02 outback at the u-pill it. Before grabbing them I looked online and they have about all the same dimentions. I had to make a new top mount for them, cut the bottom mount off my old shocks and weld them on the new shocks. The eye diameter was different and I didn't feel like messing with the existing mounts on the car in case I wanted to go back to regular shocks. I ended up cutting two coils off the outback springs to get the height I wanted. The result?!?!? The best ride I could imagine! Very firm ride but didn't bounce on a dirt road. Handles very sporty for what it is. I did have to beat the inside of the wheel well a bit to keep the coil from rubbing it.

Then I started laying out the steel for my new front bumper. Should be done in a couple days.

• Like 1

WRX started after work, then stalled after 2 seconds. CEL on. , cranks, but won't fire.

co worker had Torque app and his BT adapter. one code only, P0335 (crank sensor)

some time back, I replaced the CPS while chasing another problem. I found my original one and hope to swap it in tomorrow at morning break.

fingers crossed it's the sensor and not some melted wiring or ??? somewhere else.

(brutally hot recently)

Won't any car really throw a crank sensor code when the engine isn't running?

Won't any car really throw a crank sensor code when the engine isn't running?

I think there's a comparison with the cam sensor(s) so, maybe legit? It was the only code and I knew I had an aftermarket (Beck/Arnley) CPS so - swapping it seemed logical in this instance.

Put in the CPS today (has some trouble with a dropped bolt that tripled the expected amount of time to swap) and the car started!

problem is, I should have tried it with the old sensor - didn't.

old sensor measures the same as the new one (around 2K ohms) - leading me to wonder if that circuit has a problem elsewhere?

and, if it quits again with the same code - I'll know to start looking somewhere else I guess. Wonder what bulkhead connector that CPS harness goes to?

I ripped out the carpet from my flooded '86 Brat and gave it a good soap up, as well as started to scrub down interior console parts.

Felt good to get something done for once!

I just used dish washing soap and scrubbed and scrubbed.

Does anyone have any other tips for trying to salvage a flooded/moldy carpet? 

IMG_20150721_175712302_zpsuutnrcai.jpg

Hit it with a pressure washer and then three days in the sun and it will be like new, Works very well on seats also and a good scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush and some good cleaner will also bring up plastics like new, It is amazing how dirty interiors get without you really noticing until you clean them properly.

Edited by coxy

i hate the heat, you might be used to it, but i prefer 30degrees over 90degrees..

and lots of giant fire ants on the ground, didn't feel like getting bit some more lol, although that did pop into my mind, transmission has to be bolted on somehow, but being a 4WD Auto, it might have been more work than to just rip the chunk of metal over the radiator.

Fire Ants, Ever seen the size of their nests when they sort them out by pouring molten aluminium into the nests and then when it cools they have a massive 3D sculpture of a fire Ant Nest or maybe a "Hive" just like something out of Aliens.Link below so cool.

https://www.google.com.au/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=Fire+Ant+Aluminium+art&oq=Fire+Ant+Aluminium+art&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i22i30l3.3511.16723.0.17535.23.23.0.0.0.0.258.4627.2-21.21.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..3.20.4418.0.6T1pHIY2Mlg

Heat isn't so bad as long as it is not too Humid now that really sucks like a Jet Engine, Unless you live in a Fire Ant nest like the above link then heat really sucks.

Back on topic what have I done to my Subie lately, Broken no shattered really an Inner Double offset joint, Just turned the corner toward Work and rolled into the shop and fixed it that night so I could drive home.

Edited by coxy

Did a coupla small things to my WRX; used the Turtle Wax kit to clear the headlight lenses, - worked well, I'm happy with the results.

I also had to use a Dorman product to tether my gas cap since the plastic stock tether broke. It wasn't a perfect solution, but cheaper that a new OEM unit.

Headlight-Reviews-54-of-138.jpg

61V%2BFx2ITLL._SX425_.jpg

the wire is quite tight and didn't spin well. I used some pliers to 'recurve' the tips of the wire outwards a little to prevent dragging.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Didn't do anything to mine, but drove 1400km round trip to inspect a possible donor car.

1990 JDM (import to Aus) GTII touring wagon.

Spec won't be too much surprised to US, but things that Aus wagons don't have that this one does:

Digi dash, cruise, headlamp washers, front fogs, variable intermittent wipers, 4EAT, EA82T

post-8410-0-96117000-1439810567_thumb.jpg

The engine has typical blown head gasket, but the body & interior are rough.

Deciding whether to "kill" it for parts for mine, or fix it a bit with my parts (NA MPFI + dual range 5 spd) and use the good bits in my shell, or flog mine & "restore" this one.

The car won't run without the green check connectors joined though, so has anyone got any advice about whether it could have electric problems also?

• Like 2

Guess it all depends on your time $ and ability. I'm looking at 2 Brats one is a driver and the other is a donor. My plan was to get the drivable one finished then look for a turbo motor and transmission to drop in the donor. While the donor is bare I can do body work and clean / paint it till I find $ and the motor I want. Hope this helps you plan some. Keep it updated on which way you go.