Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I did that to my ex's loyale after it was hit in the front. I opened the hood without thinking and it had been pushed back, so the corner went straight into the windshield. Added insult to injury. =(

What have I done to MY subie? I replaced the motor mounts because the previous owner of the Tin Can graciously included a new set with the car! Got them in and all vibrations are while driving. Nice!

Also unstuck the rear door lock that wouldn't unlock with all the other doors. Still haven't figured out where the wire problem is with the door switch though. Sucks having to keep my dome light shut off all the time but the car likes to randomly decide the door is open, so it must stay off.

...Also unstuck the rear door lock that wouldn't unlock with all the other doors...

Which Year / Model of Subaru?

In my '85 "BumbleBeast", the rear gate only Locks / Unlocks if I Manually press the Button, at the Dashboard, it came wired independently from the Rest of the doors from factory.

Kind Regards.

no cracking windshields for me but i seem to always forget to put down the wipers after cleaning the car when raising the hood to check on the fluids, now the hood has missing chipped paint across the top, small and barely noticeable yeah but it sure makes me mad when i damage my own vehicle and its completely my fault when i could have avoided it easily..

Edited by Subasaurus

Which Year / Model of Subaru?

In my '85 "BumbleBeast", the rear gate only Locks / Unlocks if I Manually press the Button, at the Dashboard, it came wired independently from the Rest of the doors from factory.

Kind Regards.

My sedan Loyale. Driver's side rear door lock linkage was all stuck. Good now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I updated this forum. Ive been upto alot. good and bad. 

The bad:
Around September last year I took out my Leone Wagon - EA82T out for a run with a couple of friends with newer subies. I pushed that engine to the limit and my worn out crunk shaft, bearings  and one con rod gave in  :banghead:  :banghead:  :horse: .... Aaaaarrrrrgh. 

Tried to source all over Kenya for a for a replacement (used or new) crunk shaft and just couldn't get one in good condition. After having a mechanic dismantle the EA82T and ascertain the problem, I was left thinking of what to do. I took a break.

The good.
In mid October, a friend of mine who deals used japanesse parts travelled to Dubai to restock his store, I thought to myself, "why not EJ it?" Ive always thought i'd put a forester EJ when my time came to do a swap. So I sent him to get me an EJ engine. he got a SF5 version 6 with a VF29 turbo complete with gearbox, wiring harness and computer at a good rate. (good thing, I had some cash for this project), oh and also got some black grey WRX front bucket seats hehehhehee.. within 3 weeks, the engine was here and the build begun.

Engine

IMG_20151112_105401_zpslzkd9ggy.jpg

IMG_20151112_112504_zpstgum1uwn.jpg

I intended to maintain the 5spd part time 4WD gearbox so I was only using the Engine, Comp and harness. The EA-EJ conversion has been done in Kenya by many guys so even getting the adapter plate and someone to do my wiring was easy.

Adapter plate fitting (ignore the dust, the engine had been open for a month) hehehe ;)  ;)

IMG_20151113_113253_zpslnhnndds.jpg

IMG_20151113_120640_zpssabgxdoz.jpg

Edited by jchumbs
  • Like 2

I used the Leones original fuel system from tank, pump and filter. (Works & handles awesome even on boost). I changed from the stock air filter to a cone air filter with an after market intake pipe.

Below is the outcome.

IMG_20151228_153410_zpsz9ibokff.jpg

I am using a GC8 impreza TMIC not the stock Sf5 TMIC.

The EJ performance on the Leone is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.... :Flame::bouncy: easily spins the wheels like crazy on take off. On the highway, the vf29 is outta this world, crazy boost. People don't know what passed them when I do...Hahahahahaaa..

and the forester rumble sound off the 2.5" straight pipe cat back with a back box muffler is sweeeeeet... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: .. surely its the sound of my people..LOL!!!!

Got a simple DIY hood scoop done for the TMIC to breath easy. Grinder cut the hood and bent in the cut piece, welded a mesh and and sides; prepared it and painted it back to the original matte black.

IMG_20151228_111120_zps97rd1f2b.jpg

IMG_20151228_111804_zpsnzfjbmk6.jpg

IMG_20151228_113556_zpsdnz2wcay.jpg

IMG_20151228_114124_zpseny9bfte.jpg

IMG_20151228_135143_zpsqklawvlo.jpg

IMG_20151228_134458_zpscwxqyrvx.jpg

IMG_20151228_153300_zpsvqqzwofj.jpg

IMG_20160110_180451_zps95nx3xmb.jpg

Once done, went out for a wash.

IMG_20151228_192958_zps5zjxfav0.jpg

Edited by jchumbs
  • Like 3

So far, we've just been enjoying cruising all over in the "Optimus prime" (that's what guys call it coz of the transformation it has taken ever since I started working on it). Heheheee..

Got the WRX bucket seats in too..... Comfy

IMG_20151115_171847_zpsc33wqvdg.jpg

IMG_20151228_160003_zpsx3z6db8j.jpg

Here are some pics... out and about..

Chilling with my pals SG9 after a wash..

IMG_20160109_130045_zpstxbuo1oh.jpg

Out and about around the Mt. Kenya area enjoying the scenery

IMG_20160110_180423_zpspigpweqr.jpg

Bottom line... I'd have loved to keep the EA82T, but  I am soooooooo loving the EJ conversion so far. 

Edited by jchumbs
  • Like 3

After a lot of random head scratching trying to figure out why my turbo wagon wouldn't run on either it's original JDM ECU, or a USDM ECU, found a mate's spare ADM XT ECU, and the damn car starts. So seems like I had 2 dodgy ECUs. Is there any way to find out what the problem is with my original one to see if it can be repaired?

Also found out that a bad alternator was causing the warning lights to stay on.

After a lot of random head scratching trying to figure out why my turbo wagon wouldn't run on either it's original JDM ECU, or a USDM ECU, found a mate's spare ADM XT ECU, and the damn car starts. So seems like I had 2 dodgy ECUs. Is there any way to find out what the problem is with my original one to see if it can be repaired?

Also found out that a bad alternator was causing the warning lights to stay on.

what are the part numbers of the three ECU's ? I may have a spare one, may want your mates spare for myself :)

PM me ?

looking at parts list, the 400 is from 88,89 and 90 RX & other 4WD turbo stuff sedan, wagon ? The other number does not list in the 20 different ECU numbers !! Is your 400 and mates 400 a L series mounting type or the XT type with long mounting brackets ? black or gold finish ?

I found some ea81 alloy rims on a poor old 84 gl in the junkyard. Cleaned them up and mounted them on the Tin Can. Then the next day I waxed the Can, Armor All-ed the interior, WD-40-d the black trim, and tire shined the wheels. Here are the pictures.

20160109_155828_zpswhjghhzb.jpg

20160114_182048_zpsdnsmwsik.jpg

20160114_185615_zpsyzzbqszn.jpg

Message_1452983888686_zpsfkbklult.jpg

Message_1452988402584_zpsrdbonlez.jpg

Message_1452988451660_zpshfexaqlg.jpg

• Like 4

Jono, Dunno why I can't quote...

Anyway, working ECU is from a Vortex with the longer mounting ears (who's to say it hasn't been swapped before though, that plate just unscrews...), the rest are for mounting under the steering column.

Haven't had a chance for my mate to bring his Vortex up (he's 1 1/2 hrs away) to do some swapping yet. Wet weather doesn't help.