Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok, here we go again: part deux

monstaru

well, before scott decides to let to much out of the bag, i figured i would say something....

i have been collecting parts for like 3 yrs to start what i am starting....again..

thats right folks, we are just getting over my fab season(winter when i am laid off)...and i have recently changed directions in my life as well.....it will be a little slow after this weekend.but i will be steadily working on it.....

so, without further adu.........

ej'd hatchback

5 spd D/R

zooki case 6.5/1 gears...

zooki axles

12"fox air shocks for the front

14" fox air shocks rear

fuel cell(can't remember what gallonage, can you Tex?)pretty sure in the 10 gallon range

33" bfg mud terrains on sexy aluminum wheels, thinking about some ghetto internal beadlocks

full tube chassis, with body mixed in here and there........

what i have so far......

strippee strippee...

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

cuttee cuttee

IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

bendee bendee

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

take frame off for clean up, and the addition of a new engine , trans, and t-case crossmembers....

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

trans mounts-made these out of scrap tubing, and some extra energy suspension bushings i had

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

and here is the last until tomorrow eve.....

this is not exactly how she sits, but, it is preliminary.....so i can share it

IMG_3978.jpg

the link will be mounted on top permanently, i have to buy some u bolt flip kits(thanks B, i knew i needed them, but was unsure about sizing)

it is currently sitting downstairs waiting for me to unbolt the link and finsih gusseting, and blocking off the frame.

the body's channels for the door sills will used for routing of wiring to the rear on one side, and used for fuel llines on the other side.......

also the onlyu pieces from the original interior will be top part of a dash, and a cluster....

and just as a size reference, the small one is a hatch strut for an ea81 hatchback, much the same size alll around really....

the bigger one? , is a 12"fox air shock..

IMG_3947.jpg

?action=view&current=IMG_3947.jpg&newest=1

this whole version has been in the planning stages for over 2.5 yrs...other plans have preceded it , but then decided i would start building what i ACTUALLY wanted...i have been collecting parts for ever it seems like. i also had to buy all of the tools to get the job done, so.....anyways, it has been fun.

i am hoping to be able to make the deadline....of the build off.and the show for that matter....

but like i said, other , way more important things will come first for the next couple of months....so, i will do my best ....

cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MOAR pPICTARS....12's and 14's, the 12"s are not pressurized

IMG_3985.jpg

front link frame link area,.people call it all sorts of things...been around for a century or so......mines more of an "A" link

IMG_3980.jpg

ballistic 3" joint

IMG_3961.jpg

and as requested, a size comp. pic of the joint

IMG_3990.jpg

a cool radiator that i traded out of mugs....its a 4 core brass job, i still have to have it pressure tested, but it seems stout

IMG_3984.jpg

and the fuel cell, man it's purty

IMG_3983.jpg

cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

Good grief, i am drooling on my keyboard again, due to some fine welding expertise, nice fab skills, etc. Your welds look really good, and your awesome pipe bender is nifty. One thing i see, though and don't take it the wrong way, is that the way the rock guard fits against the front fender will make removal / replacement of the fender nearly impossible if ever need be. Dont take that the wrong way, that is the only thing i can see i would wonder on.

oh, never mind i think i found a photo where the fender is off, so it looks like you got that covered too, nice, i just didnt see all the photos loaded.

good thing i got the keyboard protector on, drool is bad.

Edited by bheinen74

I think if you ever get to meet brian you will retract that statement...

LOL ROFL

Looking sweet Brian are we going to finish this one ;)

yeah, NASA would have a whole different program,************in slackers:grin:

and yes big heavy, this one will get driveable......at least to beat to hell anyway.....all of the "others" were leading up to this anyway, so really....there was no wasted time.

i have been trying to do this build for like 3 yrs.the first attempt was the blue brat

IMG_1626.jpg

i just did not have the resources to finish(ie. welder , drill press , etc...)

the first go at this hatch, was a good effort, but still only involved the subie components.

IMG_2596.jpg

and even with a diff upfront, and such, i knew that i was not going to be happy with it.so , i let my dreams grow....and here we are.:)

cheers, brain

Edited by monstaru

Good grief, i am drooling on my keyboard again, due to some fine welding expertise, nice fab skills, etc. Your welds look really good, and your awesome pipe bender is nifty. One thing i see, though and don't take it the wrong way, is that the way the rock guard fits against the front fender will make removal / replacement of the fender nearly impossible if ever need be. Dont take that the wrong way, that is the only thing i can see i would wonder on.

oh, never mind i think i found a photo where the fender is off, so it looks like you got that covered too, nice, i just didnt see all the photos loaded.

good thing i got the keyboard protector on, drool is bad.

it's a tubing bender.............pipe is what ************ flows through.cheers, brian

IMG_3978.jpg

the link will be mounted on top permanently, i have to buy some u bolt flip kits(thanks B, i knew i needed them, but was unsure about sizing)

Are the Zuk axles stock Samurai axles? There was a guy on CL in Portland selling a set of built Suzuki axles a few months ago.

What size tires are you planning on running?

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=148

Are the Zuk axles stock Samurai axles? There was a guy on CL in Portland selling a set of built Suzuki axles a few months ago.

What size tires are you planning on running?

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=148

what you see is what you get.33" basically......they are 255/85/16.

and i plan on using square tubing cut down to fit as trusses, it would be cool if i could hotwrench my screenname into it though!

i looked and looked for those, and could not find them, so i am gonna use some .120 wall 2x2.....i already have it so....

cheers,brian