Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's your wrenching experience?

03- Picked up first Subie while living in Japan. 94 BG5 Twin Turbo Legacy GT. This is where I first started turning wrenches on these (T-Belt, water pump, etc.)

06- Picked up second Subie once I returned to states. '05 Legacy GT Wagon 5spd. I did an STI swap, brake kit, suspension, 2 turbos... throwing a rod bearing this is also the first time I did a complete engine build.

10- Sold the Leggy with built motor and had been without a subie til last week when I picked up a 85 Brat.

Picked up a 97 4runner and have had to give it a whole lot of TLC including new heads and gaskets... funny, I bought this so I wouldn't be working on cars so much.

Since selling the Leggy I have built two other performance EJ25 for people, done a complete engine drive train swap and I am the "mechanic/partner" on an RS with a built STI swap we use for Auto crossing... kind of exciting not having to build an engine and drive train that has to hold together above 80hp :banana:

I'm excited about the Brat... it's not a daily driver so I can take time with it. It looks pretty straight forward, and I have a total of 3 engines and a bed full of parts to work with.

Hope to see you all around...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree, Maintenance

How long doing it: since i got my first car at age 18 (now 47) :rolleyes:

Other skills: (Anything else you do.) Pretty much anything and everything that I can manage - construction, woodworking, electrical, plumbing, wrenching on cars & motorcycles, welding, fabrication, you name it, i have at least tried it, so...

Jack (or in my case - Jill) of all trades, master of none - know a little bit about a lot of things and whole lot about nothing. :grin:

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree/Maintenance.

What: Pre-90 cars (Subaru [still relatively new to this], Toyota, Dodge/Plymouth, Cadillac) and pickups (GM, Ford, IH), motorcycles (Suzuki, KTM, Bultaco), heavy equipment (IH, John Deere, Komatsu, Cat, Timberjack).

How long doing it: 20+ years (had to learn to fix my own crap as soon as I got my first field car, which was around the age of 10.)

Other skills: Bike mechanic (specifically BMX and 24"/26"/29" single-speed conversions), TIG/stick welding (not real pretty, but strong), carpentry (framing and repair), plumbing, electrical (residential and 12/24v), drywall, window/fixture installing, some machine work (manual lathe/milling machine), heavy equipment operator, brewing.

• 1 month later...

what type: shadetree/maintanance

what: anything really....from 4 wheelers to bikes to cars to trucks

how long: since i was 7. first thing i ever did was a tune up n oil change to an 86 f150 that was sittin for bout 3 years untouched. started right up. :)

what else: my main thing is stereos and car electrical. i can fix and biuld computers. im a j.o.a.t. master of none....sadly. work @ a salvage yard deliverin parts. (we got suby parts new n old).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Type of Wrenching:mostly maintenance, getting into shadetree

What: Have a 05' forester for about 4 years now that hasn't needed anything but maintenance and I just got an '85 Brat that's needing some tlc

How long doing it: mostly this past week... Been tinkering with wood, metal and electricity for a decade or so.

Other Skills:Former IT/Network Engineer. Getting into Sound Design and reinforcement as a more permanent, possible career. Carpentry, basic concrete, welding, blacksmithing, bowmaking(yes, with arrows), lots of random hobbies and too small of an apartment to cram them all in.

• 3 weeks later...

Type: Professional, shadetree, maintenance

What: Too many to even remember, have done a little bit of everything, but do have GM certification

How Long: been into it for about 10 years, but mostly done it the last 4 years or so.

Other skills Boats, Composites, Welding and fab work, CAD/CAM CNC, Milling, Lathe, Computer and mathematical modeling Matlab, CF design, Star CC. Other hobbies.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd add my two-cents of info here.

Type of Wrenching: Maintanance (for now =P)

How long doing it: Just started!! After a really bad breakdown on my way from NM to FL, I decided I'm never again going to drive without knowing what's going on in my car. Since then, with massive amounts of gratitude to my friend and his garage, I've been doing a lot of reading, and minor things myself. I haven't got any type of mechanical past, but enjoy it tremendously.

Learning how to drop my tranny and change out my clutch this weekend.

I love my baby (when she works), and am seeing her seemingly constant ailments as a way to educate myself.

Cars: My own '02 WRX 5spdMT

Other skills: I train horses, do handstands and acrobatics, put up drywall, and teach ESL and Russian to immigrants and high school kids respectively.

Edited by belacane

Type of Wrenching: Bloody Knuckle Maintenance

How long doing it: 2.5 years with LOTS of help from my bff. Still learning a great deal. :)

Other skills: If its artsy grandma stuff - I do it. :P Sew, crochet, scrapbook... etc. I'm going to school for cosmetology. (I really don't belong here do I? lol) Self taught home repairs (dabbled in electrical, plumbing, and general handygirl stuff) I can swing a hammer and use a power drill. Learning graphic design. I've been known to build a mean campfire too. :banana:

Basic Jack-of-all, Master-of-none kinda stuff. :rolleyes:

If I belong here, you belong here :)

- fellow female

^ you dont find many girls that can turn a wrench.. in the right direction.

MMMMM!!!! Maybe that's cause you're only 19!!!! There are plenty of us out here that know SOMETHING!!!

Perhaps... the sooner you learn that it doesn't require "man parts" to fix stuff--- the better off you will be!!!

Ahhh- Sorry- not supposed to comment on these comments...

Type: Maintenance

What: Mostly G.M.'s (until I bought my Subaru)

How Long: Since my Dad was impressed I knew the difference between standard and phillips screwdrivers (25+yrs)

Other Skills: Interior Design, Art, Music

Edited by KaraK
Apparently' I can't follow simple directions

I to need to change out my clutch or pressure plate/throw out bearing. Trying to figure out the easiest way pull motor or separate the trans and engine. If there is anybody that can help I have a 99 impreza outback sport 2.2

Do a search on engine swap or clutch replace. Should be lots of info there.

Use this link for fsm

http://www.bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=171&sid=41e07798e172c3bbdbc67d2850953ecf

Take pictures and use Ziplock type bags for any loose items.

Take your time and label things that need to be connected that are not apparent.

Cover the front of the ac radiator, so that you won't dent it as you lift motor.

I have replaced a clutch without completely removing motor but not sure if you can.

Have fun.

O.

I have changed them in explorers and rangers before but never an all wheel drive car.

It's not really that much different. It's a longitudinal engine. Unbolt everything, clutch stuff all works pretty much the same on all cars (except VWs....).

BACK on topic.

Type: Fixing what's broken on my car, upgrading in the process. Some working in a repair shop.

What: Mostly Subaru, but working in a repair shop I worked on a lot of domestics and trucks. It's all kinda the same.

How Long: Three years, maybe.

Other Skills: Software and hardware development, computer repair, marine electronics/wiring. Sailing, etc.

I to need to change out my clutch or pressure plate/throw out bearing. Trying to figure out the easiest way pull motor or separate the trans and engine. If there is anybody that can help I have a 99 impreza outback sport 2.2

I am almost done doing this exact procedure. I took out the exhaust, drive shaft and dropped the transmission. It went as smooth as anything like that could go. I've never taken out my engine before, but I imagine dropping the tranny was the easier option. I have an '02 WRX. I don't know how it would compare to what you have as my subie is the only one I've ever worked on.

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree. I can fix it almost as well as I can break it.

How long doing it: 20 years as my cars need it.

Other skills: Shade tree plumber, electrician, and framer (Home repairs), Supply Chain improvement and project management, Toyota Land Cruisers, and Snakes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree, because I guess that means not professionally lol. I've loved cars for as long as I can remember, and was always out in the cold helping my brother whenever he was working on his 65 mustang when I was 4, 5, 6 years old. I want to get into it professionally and hope to go to some type of school to get certs and all that jazz.

How long doing it: Only been really tearing into cars the past 2 or 3 years. Before that it was all minor stuff, oil change, tune up, simple stuff like that. I worked professionally doing light work, tires, oil and tune up when I was 19. 24 now and starting to work my way into the good stuff. Need to go to school though...

Other skills: Low voltage, telecom, computer repair, and all around if it can be taken apart or analyzed, I will do it, and put 99 percent of it back together ;)