Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to all brat masters?????????

ok i put a 2wd automatic in my 1985 brat which was an 4wd auto,1.8 my ? is what vehicle can i get a tranny crossmember out of that will work on my brat with the 2wd tranny in it now?cause the 4wd member isnt the same,or do i just have to modify it? thnx in advance again beachbum:banghead:

Heresy! Heresy I tell you, moderators, arrange the inquisition!

Beachbum, we will decide your fate soon enough!:dead:

Just kidding:D

I don't know for sure, but probabaly a 2WD EA81 auto car crossmember will match, I don't know much about the automatic stuff

alright guys 1st of all it wasnt a good 4wd tranny and second the 2wd auto was free,so that was in my price range for now.:D and now that i have got the tranny in and the 4wd mount is not the same should i?????????/ modify it or will 1 fit from another vehicle,and i dont mind the razzing i do it enough myself,just so long as u throw in some answers with em:brow:

Finding a matching cross member will depend on the 2wd transmission you have. If it came out of an EA81 Subaru then you just need to find a cross member form another EA81 with a 2wd automatic. If it came out of an EA82 then you would need to modify one from an EA81. This is because the tail end of an EA82 2wd auto sticks out a couple of inches farther.

Technically you could combine the parts you have and build a good 4wd auto but I would not recommend it.

i have the x-member from a 2wd auto 1980 (ea81)hatch and you can have it for free. i'm sure it's the same (you pay shipping) you may also need the brackets that the leading rods mount to. i might have those or i might have thrown them out. i'll check. let me know through email or PM if you want what i got.

I would offer up a tranny but you can't get much further away.

To make the auto work will require the auto crossmember plus the strut rod plates. The manual plates will not work for an auto. Do you know what the trans came out of?

Give the guy a little slack. At least he didn't scrap it because the trans went out. It's still motoring down the road(or will be) and the original 4wd can be put back in at a later date. Don't modify it, just get the correct automatic parts and you'll be able to put it back to "Stock" eventually.

I'll go even further. It's his car, and he has the right to do with it as he damnwell pleases. This decision may be a matter of personal preference, or financial necessety. If he never goes off-road (and snow certainly isn't an issue), 2WD may not be a bad decision as gas heads reapdly toward $2.00/gal.

The purpose of this board is to offer help and information, and a little afficianado support now and then. NO ONE has the right to dis someone over their use of ANY personal property, so long as it doesn't interfer with public safety, law, or the environment.

There will always be someone who is offended by YOUR plans to chop, lift, cut fenders ... you name it, of THEIR personal favorite model. Heck I just saw the cover of some ricer mag, that was screaming about how to convert your brand new WRX to rear wheel drive. Personally, *I* think 'that's' sick, but hey, it his car ... and after all it's just a car.

So, keep the sniping to yourselves, look what happened to the 'Off Topic' forum.

I have learned a lot, and hopefully passed on some of my hard earned lore. I think I've earned the right to voice my opinion.

And no thanks, I don't need a pro bono job, no matter how worthy the cause. To all you moderators that do donate your time and efforts, a tip o' the hat

1st of all thnx to the majority of u guys(and u know who u r):D ,and to the rest ,not that i have to,but just to let u know the brat is going back to the original trans when it gets rebuilt,apparently ZAPAR im not as rich as u i have to do things as they come:brow: --- but anyway for now im 2 wheeling and in about three months ill be 4 wheeling again, and down here we have sand just as much fun as mud and not as messy.and thnx for all the help and support once again guys im going to get that crossmember from the SK and regardless, u guys rock or at least some of u do...:clap:

the 2wd tranny came out of a 1979 gl stationwagon with a 1.8 and it bolted right up and even the shifter linkage was interchangeable,but i had to weld a plate on the crossmember to drive it,and thats why im wanting the right crossmember so ill be sure of its being centered and so on. and ur right we`re not scapping this no way, we were offered 3 grand for it 5 yrs ago,in pinellas county this is the nicest 1 around,of course it would probably look alot better with the tires off ur beast(hint hint):brow: thnx

1st of all thnx to the majority of u guys(and u know who u r) ,and to the rest ,not that i have to,but just to let u know the brat is going back to the original trans when it gets rebuilt,apparently ZAPAR im not as rich as u i have to do things as they come --- but anyway for now im 2 wheeling and in about three months ill be 4 wheeling again, and down here we have sand just as much fun as mud and not as messy.and thnx for all the help and support once again guys im going to get that crossmember from the SK and regardless, u guys rock or at least some of u do...

As Speedbump said. All just fooling around. The only serious post was from mtsmith since he's earned the right to have an opinion.

But, you did ask for ALL "Brat Masters", and if owning no less than 6 in the last 3 years and lifting 4 of them, and restoring and creating Bob doesn't qualify me, what does?

I get all alarmed when folks do anything to a Brat but lift it. :brow:

Here's what I do with them. http://community.webshots.com/album/37919799NGXlOA

Good luck in keeping it running till you can get it back to 4x.

(these days everybody is as "rich" as me) hehe, I'm as broke as I've ever been. :banana: