Ultimate Subaru Message Board

all wheel steering

Yep, the Mitsubishi 3000GTS (aka Dodge Stealth R/T), was 4wd and 4ws. They were not the greatest performance car because they were a bit portly (about 3400lbs as memory serves).

I think the rear steer angle is about 30% of the front and maybe locked out at some times. I know that the Prelude’s system counter steers at low speed, is inactive at moderate speeds and reverses to parallel steer at high speed (think lane change).

Gary

Z32 300ZXTTs had 4ws. They had a hydrolic system. Lost of manufacturers in the 80s and early 90s played around with 4ws, some active (Like the Nissan and Mitsus) while many were passive (ie, the rear suspension geometry had toe out under certain conditions and points during its travel.

If it's a 4 door sedan you would be referring to the Galant VR4. It was on the same platform as the Eclipse and had the 2 liter turbo'd engine and came with a 5 spd. It was their answer to the Legacy turbo....pretty sweet rides from what I understand....although some were problematic....they were only made in 91 and 92 if I remember correctly......but back to your question, they were awd and had the 4 wheel steering.....

as far as the 3000, i think that it has two phase steering, at low speeds its opposite, so that it can turn more sharply,

/.../

\...\

At high speeds its same phase to make lane changes easier

/.../

/.../

On an interesting note, i know that a lot of the big rigs with 4WS use the XT-6 electric rack, so that would make two things better, someone probably has a writeup on the internet, and its subaru, so that makes it that much better.

a friend of mine had a Alfa Romeo GTV-6 that had all wheel steering, but like someone said, only under certain conditions. If I remember correctly not only did it only work over a certain speed, but it also had to be at over a certain steer angle. Again this was a mid 80's car. It felt like the back end was slipping out from under you when it finally kicked in. Unfortunately the vehicle did little to dissuade my (poor) opinion of most Italian machinery. I'm sure it comes from my military history background, and knowing what garbage their armour was in WWII, but like I said this particular vehicle didn't help that opinion. Maintence nightmare.

The Honda Prelude system was mechanical and active.

It was set up on a hinge of sorts that would first go parallel and then counter turn. Depending on steering wheel input. Turn the wheel a little, the rear would go parallel, turn it a lot, wheel would go counter.

Good idea since most high speed lane changing requires slight steering wheel inputs and parallel parking and such require lots of steering wheel input.

Now the question at hand is how do we graft this into a BRAT :brow: ?

BW

Guest taprackready

Yes this topic should be in OFF TOPIC. But to add my 2 cents, Chevy Trucks can also be ordered with All wheel steering.

Bill

• 1 year later...

There is passive 4 wheel steering where the cars rear end geometry allows for some toe in and toe out with body roll.

There has been mechanical systems (which i think the early preludes are) hydraulic and electric systems.

I think the only one that still has it (not sure) is GM on its full size pickup trucks.

http://trucks.about.com/cs/4ws/a/4wheel_steering.htm.

It was a neat idea, but didnt really sell.

nipper

as far as the 3000, i think that it has two phase steering, at low speeds its opposite, so that it can turn more sharply,

/.../

\...\

At high speeds its same phase to make lane changes easier

/.../

/.../

iirc, Z32s with the 'hikas' (not sure on spelling) system work the same way. hydrolic piston in the rear controls the steering.