Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Service Manual question?

Then it either isn't a wagon, or it isn't a 1600, or it's not an original engine. Subaru DID NOT produce a 1600 wagon in 1985 (for the US market). The only 85 model available with a 1600 was the STD Hatchback (2-door)...... which I don't believe was available with an automatic - 4 speed FWD or 4 speed single range 4WD only.  

Lets see some pics and we can ID this unit for you. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

Subaru used the EA71 on the Loyale platform up to 1994 everywhere else except USA.

And Australia - the small forgotten island in the Southern Hemisphere ;) :P 

I don’t think we ever got the 1600 down here...

Cheers 

Bennie

On 1/26/2021 at 12:29 AM, el_freddo said:

And Australia - the small forgotten island in the Southern Hemisphere ;) :P 

I don’t think we ever got the 1600 down here...

Cheers 

Bennie

Oh, you're right. :)

New Zealand got the EA71 and a variant from the Loyale, called Royale:

~► https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114962-rarest-old-school-subaru-part-or-option/?do=findComment&comment=1341708

although another XT6 based sedan prototype was already called Royale:

~► https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/50983-strange-and-weird-subaru-stuff/?do=findComment&comment=945792

Sorry for the offtopicness.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:33 AM, moosens said:

This has to be a hatchback. I used to call them “stubby wagons”.

Dude , picture please. You’re causing an itch some of us want scratched. 

Yes, a picture of your car is needed indeed.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I have a 1993 Loyale,  pre ODBII so scanner's don't work.  I believe there was a way to jumper the ODB 1   socket to get codes.  I also have manuals which refer to connectors which can be connected for diagnosis,  but the descriptions in my manuals don't allow me to identify the correct connectors.  

I'd really like the electrical schematics ,  I missed a factory service manual set, the other day, already sold.  I do see some sets but they omit the electrical schematic volume.  I do see on-line 'dvd' suppliers but comments suggest they are frauds, so any suggestions?  Even old posts which may help would be great.  This is such a great car, it should never die....

To read the codes from an EA82, just count the blinks on the LED on the ECU.  It's bolted under the steering column.   You have to take the plastic kick panel off first.  Any current code will be flashed there.  Long flashes are 10s place, short are 1s place.  2 digit codes only.  Everything ok is all short.  5 or 6, I forget. 

• Like 3

GD suggested I can get the FSM for electrical  for my 93 loyale JF1AC4226PC200963.  
I was thrilled, so I called my local Subaru dealership, said not available, doubted anything was available.  Did I try the wrong Dealer, the Parts guy did remember the Loyale, checked with his manager,  said not available.

GD is usually right....  It has been a long time since I bought a FSM.  Both I got at dealers, but the car's were in production at the time.  I use my 86 and 90 manuals for all the years between 86 and 93, there are only some small differences.  Any fsm from 90 to 93 would likely be very close.  The bigest differences I found were in the late 80s, 86-88.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, myhilo said:

GD suggested I can get the FSM for electrical  for my 93 loyale JF1AC4226PC200963.  
I was thrilled, so I called my local Subaru dealership, said not available, doubted anything was available.  Did I try the wrong Dealer, the Parts guy did remember the Loyale, checked with his manager,  said not available.

1992_Subaru_Service_Manual-Engine_Wiring

Edited by subaru1988

On 1/25/2021 at 10:20 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

Then it either isn't a wagon, or it isn't a 1600, or it's not an original engine. Subaru DID NOT produce a 1600 wagon in 1985 (for the US market). The only 85 model available with a 1600 was the STD Hatchback (2-door)...... which I don't believe was available with an automatic - 4 speed FWD or 4 speed single range 4WD only.  

Lets see some pics and we can ID this unit for you. 

GD

I will post pictures today, sorry for the delay. It's mom's car, but I try to keep it going as long as I can.

I have replaced the front and rear bumpers to Loyale versions, as well as the front parking/marking lenses.

So it may look like a Loyale, but it is an 85.

Edited by Checkerboard Comet

Looks like one to keep around. 

No difference from the later of the same class , they just made them all Loyale while the new line emerged. So bumpers are exact other than lighting arrangements, little trim. You found out they mount with zero difficulty I’m sure. 

Edited by moosens