Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How loud is your horn

I ask because my car (1988 RX) didn't pass motor vehicle inspection today for 3 reasons. One of the 3 reasons was because of the horn. My horn isn't loud. It is audible but not loud yet I got failed for it. There wasn't a decibel meter or anything used.

Do older modelled subarus normally have a muffled/weakish sounding horn or is there just something wrong with mine?

Here is a little movie I made of the horn sounding. It doesn't sound to bad to me. What gives? :banghead:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr?i=wNTk5ODI1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

The other two reasons it failed is because of a side marker light (easily fixable) and the fuel tank wasn't holding pressure properly. Guy said something about a hose going to the fuel tank may need replacing or something. *sigh* Any input on this is welcome also. Thanks!

Mine has always been lame.. my other wagonas have been a little louder, but none of my soobs have had exceptionally loud horns. I finally decided that I'm just going to put some Hella supertones on it:brow:

BTW.. you may try comparing it to the horn volume on you XT6s.. should be the same horns I think

Fix the sidemarker...check the conections and stuff on the horn and if that doesnt fix it, get louder horn...lol

as for the fuel tank hose...soemthing sounds fishy there. Since when did they start checking for fuel tank presures? Im in trouble then....

Fix the sidemarker...check the conections and stuff on the horn and if that doesnt fix it, get louder horn...lol

as for the fuel tank hose...soemthing sounds fishy there. Since when did they start checking for fuel tank presures? Im in trouble then....

They always check it here as well as emissions and OBDII computer if it's post 1996. Delaware thinks it's California or something, I dunno. If he wants louder, maybe that's what I should shoot for. Some hellas to scare the 'Hella' out of him and give him a heart attack. :grin:

Any aftermarket horns that are straight bolt on? Man,I really don't feel like getting into heavy modifications before going through motor vehicle. And yes, the XT6s are louder but I was wondering what you guys thought from the video.

I'm devising a plan of attack. I need to get it on the road. The Outback Sport kicked down twice today picking my son up, then I went about stripping the belt tensioner bolt on it trying to tighten a belt up. :rolleyes: This is not a good Soob day.

my wagons horn is absolutely pathetic. My mom's infiniti q45 horn is bad too. I almost got t-boned in the Q in a parking lot as someone backed out towards me. I was laying on the horn but the lady was 6" away from my pass. door before she stopped :eek: That car is very elegant, but the horn is sounds aweful. It needs some nice high note air horns.

Going by the video, the horn doesnt sound that awful low, but at the same time, you hafta remember cars today are built just about air tight.. takes a lot of noise to get inside; especially if its a youngin thats got their hip hop turned up so loud it vibrates the loose body panels on the Subie when you're sitting next to them at a red light.

The hi/low horns on my Brat are loud... as loud as they were designed to be.. but isnt loud enough to pass today. Fortunately I dont have safety/emissions where I'm at.. so its all good for me.

If nothing else, run up to AutoZone or whatever and pick up a set of el cheapies just to pass inspection.

As for the fuel tank... I've never heard of them pressurizing the tank for anything; at least on the older vehicles. I do know most states will leak test the cap. This might have to do with the lines that tie into the evaporative emission control system (EECV, charcoal canister). Check those lines.. they're notorious for getting brittle and cracking on the Datsun Z, I can only think they'd do the same on the Subaru.

Cheers.

kevin,

can you swap your OBS or XT6 horns in it (and leave the original in the trunk so he can see that you swapped) and see if it helps. don't worry about mounting it all professional, just get it *to work* and then swap them back when you get home...unless your horn does seem really low, then replace the joker. you can splice in any horn, shouldn't take but a couple minutes.

maybe the fuel cap can cause the fuel tank problem. i've seen fuel pumps leak (the actual pump itself, not the hoses). minor enough leaks that the car ran fine (not counting the gas mileage). check all your fuel lines i guess, looking for wetness or cuts around the metal clamps.

lame excuses to fail.

was your horn always that weak? i dont know what i would do without one... traffic's a killer here.

wonder if you could take a horn from one of those really old cars and hook it up. you know, the ones that go (aaarooooooogaaa), or get a horn that honks to a show tune. that'd get some laughs. who knows if it would pass, tho.

id just swap horns with one of your other cars for inspection then swap it back, as previously suggested.

Guest Vickaroo
Mine is just straight broke. Been meaning to hook up my PA to my CB so I can yell BEEP at people :)

Morgan you crack me up!!!!!!! I too have no horn on the brat, and now the radio dosnt work!!!!:-p Tim has too many irons and not enough fire... :rolleyes: Now that I think about it the horns on all of our subbies are pretty weak... I just lay on the horn and yell at the dummies, I wonder if they hear me yelling more then they hear the horn.... LOL Vicky