Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do people hate Loyales?

SUBARU's are the best cars on this planet.

AWD, small, light (well, MOST of them), well balanced/layed out, AWD, flat4/6's....AWD AWD AWD AWD AWD AWD Boxer engine AWD Boxer engine AWD Boxer engine AWD Boxer engine AWD Boxer engine AWD Boxer engine AWD Boxer engine AWD........and, Boxer engine AWD .

:banana:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WJM puts it in a very indirect way :rolleyes:

but he is VERY correct, the combination of AWD and a flat 4/6 engine makes for a VERY stable car

Low center of gravity (flat engines) so you won't flip (easily)

and AWD with kick-butt traction

plus they don't attract a lot of attention, so you can drive like I do and not get a speeding ticket :burnout:

I love my 91 loyale, exept how bad the rust has gotten on the front fenders, and that stupid door lock light, other that that, it gets good miiage, its 4wd, though a low range would be nice at times I got power windows and there basic, not alot to mess up. It is kind of hard to find used parts around my area though, not just for loyals ut many older roos

plus they don't attract a lot of attention, so you can drive like I do and not get a speeding ticket :burnout:

BUT...if you actually make the car FAST and put your sponsor's decals on the car...it DOES get you some VERY unwanted attention... :banghead:

Otherwise...a stock appearing EA82 subie will not attract any attention... :headbang:

What's little?

Soobs (particularly newer ones) have available options that were/are not readily available on other cars at the time they were made, and the features cost less and work better.

I think the reason people hate Soobs is it makes their $40+k SUV look like crap in bad weather.

Or it may be the size ... but that's their problem.

I got cought in a really bad hail stormm in colorado last summer, and people thought i was nuts going through bumper deep water that would have only been hub deep on there h2s and lexus suvs, my little loyale handles better in the ice and snow in 2 wheel drive that my 88 toyota 4x4 ever did

i dont care what anyone says, subarus are the greatest cars ever. they will always get you home safe, well, within reason. i hit a deer on the interstate in my impreza, smashed the front end on the drivers side, but tit still got me to my friend's house a few miles away.needless to say, these cars are incredably durable and reliable.

I got in on this kinda late (been away for the weekend). I will defend a Loyale to the death!!! I absolutely love mine.Just like I love the DL and GLs..I just prefer that body style.My reason for being so happy with less is cause..its less that you have to worry about breaking!:lol: I looked at a 2001 Impreza not to long ago and was suprised at how much more room I have in my old Loyale.Plus I get 35+MPG (FWD)and it has been the most dependable car I have ever owned (and I owned alot of cars). Even with stuff wrong they just seem to keep going and going.I laugh at other ppl at the gas stations....as I put $5 in the tank I know I can drive all week on it....so what if its slow..it will get up and go when I need it to.

Loyales Rock!!

why do peepl hate loyales...

its that damn parking light switch.

they are usualy spfi, they arent dual range, subaru was thinkin more about the ejs at that time, and just got rid of what they had.

I couldent agree with you more on that parking light switch... all there on the column.. in your way.. And then you'll never use it and forget what its for and then randomly turn the switch on and off thinking "WHAT ON EARTH DOES THIS THING DO!"

Maybe its just me tho.

That's why I like the '85 and '86 cars. Their parking light system is simple, and an idiot (like me :-p ) could operate it without fail. I also like the placement of the hazard light switch much more on those cars.

Loyales are still good cars tho, just don't like the name, its too - well submissive/civilized/loyal!? I would rather have something like ... maverick :brow:

I guess then they would attract cop's attention ;)

Loyales are still good cars tho, just don't like the name, its too - well submissive/civilized/loyal!? I would rather have something like ... maverick :brow:

I guess then they would attract cop's attention ;)

Ahhhhhhh..The Ford Maverick...what a piece of cra-----garbage:lol: . I remember smoking a built up one w/ a hopped up 302 with my 70 Mustang coupe 289...title for title (grudge match between neighbors).I didnt take the title to it though..didnt want to insult my mustang with that thing parked beside it in the driveway.

I dont think the name Loyale is bad....at least it fits mine...Bucky has been very loyal to me and me to him:brow:

a few years ago my girlfriend (wife now) bought a 91 loyal. Been great for us. All we've really had to do to it is gas & oil.

Yesterday I decided to go through the maintenance receipts we got from the previous owners... oh my gosh.... They apparently LOVED this car (or got fleeced many times, which I'm leaning towards)

2 clutches, 5 (five) axles, couple oil pump reseals, new struts, EGR soleniod ($120), TPS.... all over a 6.5 year period... spent about 5 grand on it, including one set of tires...

Most of the ones I seen had a crappy dashboard / guages and a 2WD or Single Range 4WD 4AT. I think the 86-89 GL, GL-10, etc. are way cooler.

Now just last weekend I saw a Loyale in the junkyard. It had the GL package dashboard / guages. Had a single range 5MT also. Looked a 100 times better and more functionable. I'd pimp one of those around for sure :)

Loyales have the fully revised EA82 SPFI also. That's a big plus in my book. A Loyale with less than 100,000 miles on it would last you a long time if taken good care of.

Just remember all Subarus are cool, even the Loyales and Justys :drunk:

Loyals are the best!

i have '89, 5 spd D/R, w/ LSD, EA 82 MPFI,

i've been driving it for almost 3 years, havent put many miles(6000), but 2.5 year 100% off-road(and my top speed was 60 mph :brow: ), i had to change 2 things: the alt and the radiator(after hitting some trees/bushes). and other than that it's one of best cars(only russian military trucks are better, but not in everything :rolleyes: ). so i'm after loyals!!!

take care

Loyals are the best!

i have '89, 5 spd D/R, w/ LSD, EA 82 MPFI,

i've been driving it for almost 3 years, havent put many miles(6000), but 2.5 year 100% off-road(and my top speed was 60 mph :brow: ), i had to change 2 things: the alt and the radiator(after hitting some trees/bushes). and other than that it's one of best cars(only russian military trucks are better, but not in everything :rolleyes: ). so i'm after loyals!!!

take care

Hah wish Loyales over here had Dual Range LSD with MPFI :slobber:

I prefer the older EA81's...

Not that GL or DL is a good name but...Loyale?

It just sounds cheezy!!!

If they would have kept the D/R I'd probably think more of them and just ignored the name.

I never cared for the early 90's styling that Subaru came out with...

Quack, Quack, Quack...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester--<Stupid name and no D/R! And kinda queer looking too?

Ahhhhhhh..The Ford Maverick...what a piece of cra-----garbage:lol: . I remember smoking a built up one w/ a hopped up 302 with my 70 Mustang coupe 289...title for title (grudge match between neighbors).I didnt take the title to it though..didnt want to insult my mustang with that thing parked beside it in the driveway.

I dont think the name Loyale is bad....at least it fits mine...Bucky has been very loyal to me and me to him:brow:

I did not even know Ford made a "Maverick" - shows my era - anyway, I meant that the name neeeded more spice. These cars are better at offroading than many SUV's - Loyale implies that it is very docile - which it can be, but it can also be dangerous :brow: I have certainly been loyal to my GL, but I have also had adventures in it (like the time I was in a hurry and not paying attention to my speed and hit 70 in a 35 mph zone :cool: ) These cars have character!

BUT...if you actually make the car FAST and put your sponsor's decals on the car...it DOES get you some VERY unwanted attention... :banghead:

Otherwise...a stock appearing EA82 subie will not attract any attention... :headbang:

I just painted the lower third--from the side molding down--of my '90 Loyale wagon with generic black truck-bed-liner paint. In addition to covering up my bad 'glassing job on the rust, it also covered up the AWD TURBO decal. So now I can enjoy L'il Hoopty in privacy. Or could, if I'd just fix the damned exhaust.....

I've had GL-10s and Loyales and the Loyale feels noticably lighter and more nimble than the option laden GL-10. I bought my wife a '90 Loyale turbo wagon, I put a JDM motor in it and it was quick, with the 4eat would cruise at 90/100mph, I did this once for 15 hours straight coming back from Montana. I found myself wanting to drive the car, alot!

The Loyale is a lot like a DL, with a few extra options.

The I/P is that of a GL, but it lacks many of the little options, like most (if not all) don't have a trip-computer, D/R 4WD (though SOME do), and maplights.

I think the overall product is a good one; simpler -> fewer things can go wrong -> more reliable

I have a 1985 GL wagon, and I love it, but I have not driven a Loyale to compare the difference in handling.

The big negatives as I see it are the lack of a dual range and lack of a turbo.

Consider that 1 of those 2 is probably the main reason that people on this site bought their vehicles, and you see why the Loyales take back burner.

I just wish I could find a D/R with SPFI. I'd really like to find a dual range turbo, but alas..

i love my 86 gl, maybe thats why im spending alot of money on it, i could just sell it for like 2-3 hundred, but its my first car man, and 5 speed D/R with a soon to be EJ22........hmmm....hmmm...B**CH........i especially like the non-attention formt he fuzz, and the ricers that i will demolish when the conversion is done.......ill be like ill race your civic hatchback with one person in it vs. my mom wagon with 3 peeps in it, and own yo a$$. cant wait. cmon someone trade me my 3 wire tps throttle body for your 4 wire tps throttle body straight up now................no one.................hmmm..

~Josh~