Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I see a lot of negative threads on this section of the message board. I though I would post a positive one.

We bought our 00 Legacy GT w/ 52k miles on it from the Original owner. Wasn't really actively looking for a car, but this came up and since I had done some unreverible body damage to the wife's 92 Legacy, I though what the heck. We just put on 8k, and it turned 60k the other day, no problems at all. Car drives terrific, and I love to open the slider and let the light shine it when I get to drive it. The other day I woke up in the middle of the night, and looked out at the driveway, and had to grin cuz it was a good looking car. Now, I wish we could have afforded a new WRX, but we have this almost paid off, we plan on driving it until we decide Lisa needs a Wagon.

I have been driving a 98 Limited Outback, bought it with known oil leaks, and am going to do a complete reseal. it has 113k miles on it, handles really well, far better than my G'mas 94 T-bird or my Mom's Mercury Sable. It feels solid and secure. I call it Black Dragon, cuz after I get off the Freeway it smokes out of the hood vent.

Anyone else enjoying their Newer Subarus?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm driving a '96 Legacy Brighton wagon. I've had it for almost a year now, and it's required very little non-scheduled mantainence. It has tons of cargo space and can haul desks and other large things. I love how it handles. The low center of mass is a joy. AWD is nice in the winter.

This car's a keeper. I installed the tachometer out of a wrecked '95 Legacy L, since even MT Brightons don't have tachs, and since this is the car I learned to drive an MT on. The gauges are beautifully precise, even if the fuel gauge lies. The driver's seat is lifted 1". Roof rack crossmembers removed. I've placed a trunk, a wooden trunk with a latch and key, in the cargo portion of the vehicle. Much neater.

I'm very happy I chose to buy a Legacy.

We recently picked up a 95 Legacy L AWD Wagon with 77K on it. It kept generating a CEL code of 0125, or insuficient coolant, and it had irregular temperartures. Since I had no idea if the timing belt had even been change and since I felt it was either the water pump or thermostat causing the problem I decided to replace all three, Now the car runs great, temp guage never reads higher then mid point and the defroster actually works now, and no CEL. This is a good car, I am really surprized that the previous owner never got that fixed (we are the second owners). How many 95's have you seen lately with only 77k on the meter. We really love our Subarus too Richie.

been driving my 94 legacy gt wagonfor about 2 months now and couldn't be happier.shes got alittle over 142,000 on the odometer an engine strong like bull:banana:

sounds corny but i even tuck her in at night before i go to bed,(i cover her hood with a nice warm wool blanket)before i got her i used to drive a 99 dodge avenger coupe with a 2.5 v-6(kinda small for a 6cyl) glad i changed over back to subarus.

I have a 93 legacy wagon, one of the best cars Ive owned yet. It has by far the most miles at almost 250k (the one that comes closest to it was actually the other subie I owned, 85 GL-10 with 164K when I sold it) It runs as strong as it did when it was new. And I really cant say that about some of the other cars Ive owned, even a couple cars that were a couple yrs old when I had them. I may be planning an extensive heart transplant on it but this would be one awesome sleeper

I fell in love with my 92 Legacy L wagon the second i opened the hood. The parts that tend to go bad on older cars are all right there staring you in the face (P/S pump, alt, and A/C right there across the front) then I looked at the rear of the engine, and found the clutch adjustment, and starter in places that were so easy to get to I was shocked (I have worked on cars that were a lot worse laid out). then I did some work on it (changed plugs, oil and air filter) and fell in love with it all over again! That was the last time I changed the oil with the front wheels off the ground (I love how you can do that cleanly with a Subie), but I got a look at how the underside was put together, and it is as great as the top. When I first started driving it, i was amazed at how forgiving the powerband is (you hardly ever really have to shift, and that is smooth as butter), along with the quickness of the acceleration (and I got it because my daughter was put off by the cost of repairing a dead clutch). Even with bad struts, this car handles better than a lot of new cars do, and performance matches that easily. I've made a few mods to it (better seats, CD player, newer tires, I have a roof rack to put on, and a towing hitch) and you will get this car away from me when you pry my cold dead fingers off of the wheel. By the way, Rich, do you still have those alloy wheels laying around? I'm interested. PM me will ya?

I don't know what I'd do without my 91 legacy wagon with 190k on the odometer, but that was broken for about 10-15K. The MT is so much fun to drive, and I love it especially in the snow, it handles like a dream in any kind of conditions. I hope to be adding another one very soon.

Love my Subie, wife does too. Probably too much. I'm going to have to start rationing her time with my car. It's getting harder and harder to get it back. The only thing on my side is the MT. She hates shifting. I got it with 30K and have put on 10K in short order. Greak kayak hauling vehicle!!

I too love our Legacy's... Outback really...

I have a 93 Wagon and an 01 OBW. Love them both. Unfortunately having to sell the 93, eventhough I love it. It's been a great car, will miss it terribly. But with building a new house, and another baby on the way, it's time to sell. Need the extra cash right now to get the house going (finally) With having a work van, I have a daily driver for work, and it (the 93) sits most of the daytime and with the construction starting soon, it will most definately be in the way.

But I'm already getting the spies out for another when the house project is all done. This time an automatic, so the wife can use it too.

Guess I get to drive the OBW more often though... Only way to look at it I guess..

Thanks for letting me "testify"

I'm driving a '96 Legacy Brighton wagon. I've had it for almost a year now, and it's required very little non-scheduled mantainence. It has tons of cargo space and can haul desks and other large things. I love how it handles. The low center of mass is a joy. AWD is nice in the winter.

This car's a keeper. I installed the tachometer out of a wrecked '95 Legacy L, since even MT Brightons don't have tachs, and since this is the car I learned to drive an MT on. The gauges are beautifully precise, even if the fuel gauge lies. The driver's seat is lifted 1". Roof rack crossmembers removed. I've placed a trunk, a wooden trunk with a latch and key, in the cargo portion of the vehicle. Much neater.

I'm very happy I chose to buy a Legacy.

My experience is almost a carbon copy of yours with a few differences. I've had the same year and model of car for more than four years. Never left me standed, never was unavailable when needed. Did all my maintenance and a few repairs myself. Hauled a full size fridge and at another time a full size electrical stove, and tons of other things. Never put a hand on a shovel during the winter. Lots of pep. Love the car and will get another used Subie when this one gives up the ghost (not expected soon...) My first experience was with a 92 Loyale and that made me a Subaru fan right then and there.

Still love my Legacy after 9 years and almost 95k. Have had very little to complain about in that time and it has only failed to get me where I wanted to go once, when the original battery died after almost 7 years. Car still runs and rides great, so glad I did not buy that Ford Contour in 1996!

I love my '91 Legacy wagon also. Bought it with 98K on the odometer 20 months ago and I have 142K on it now. Manual transmission has gotten quieter with age and car cruises effortlessly on the highway at whatever speed I wish to go. Other than adding my second set of sparkplugs recently and doing regular oil changes I have only needed minor checkups twice. Just bought a '97 Impreza wagon with 112K on it for my wife and it looks like it's going to be as much fun as the Legacy. I don't see any reason I shouldn't get 300K plus out of both of them (I sold my '86 GL wagon with 255K and after a re-seal and a used carb it was back on the road as someone else's daily driver).

In the past two years, I've gone through 3 Subaru's and am now on my fourth (2001 Forester S, 2003 Forester XS, heavily modded 2002 WRX wagon, and now 2005 Baja Turbo).

Maintenance other than routine fluids, filter, etc = 0

Problems other than less than impressive auto transmissions = 0

I have to say my local dealers are lame though.

I read all the negative experiences on this site and am mystified as well.:-\

Generally people report what's wrong and very seldom report what is right. Often leads to a skewed viewpoint. Good news, especially repetitive good news can be quite boring.

I read all the negative experiences on this site and am mystified as well.:-\

Generally people report what's wrong and very seldom report what is right. Often leads to a skewed viewpoint. Good news, especially repetitive good news can be quite boring.

And with Subies, the good news can quickly become repetitive. . .

I need to change my signature, I'm coming up on 150K. I recently got a set of alloy wheels for the car, so the "mods" are almost done (Richierich, I still need #5 for the spare, if you still have one). They include the CD player that came out for those years, the "Plush" seats with the lever that lifts you up for a better view, (and the headrests on the back, along with the ones on the front that adjust front to back as well as up and down), the wheels, a towing hitch, the carco area privacy cover, and a roof rack. . .so far. . . The wheels, and driving lights finish out what I planed as soon as I got the car. I may add better struts (If I don't just go with the GR2's), and I'm thinking that a DVD player to stick on the headliner for the rear passengers would be cool as well (that last is probably just dreaming. . .) Oh, yes, and a paint job is in order as well. I was thinking of something along the lines of World Rally Blue with a "gold flake" (actually brass, but who cares, it looks good)I may go with a silver flake though, as it would go better with the wheels I got. . . Body work comes last however, as the original owner did not put any into it at all (even when he was hit, he never got it repaired. . .) so there is a ways to go before it is ready to paint. Hmmmm. . .if I got to a pick and pull, I can grab an EJ22 engine that I can rebuild, clean up, and even paint, then throw in the car to really spiff it up. . ..

Yeah, I love my Legacy. . .

Heh, I have a friend that needs some repair work done on a couple of cars (A Mustang 5.0, and a BMW) and lives 50 miles away. Since I have a hitch on the car I went to U-Hual and rented a tow dolly, ans went out there to bring them back to my place to fix. The Mustang was a bit wobbly when I went over 50MPH, but there was not a lot of oputrtunity for that as I was bringing it back in rush hour traffic. . . Got a few "double takes" when people noticed just what was towing that beast. The car had plenty of power to pull it even over hills. Would not want to do that again until after I get new struts, however, because of the stability issues at speed. The BMW, being lighter, rode just fine with no stability issues at all, even with my bad struts (rear at least are shot). This was just annother case of my Legacy proving that she is a lot more car than most people can even imagine. . .

Or perhaps it is more proof that I'm crazy. . . :grin:

I love all of my family's first gen Legacys.

My dad bought my mom a 98 Outback wagon back in July and its been a great car so far. Yes it does have an oil leak and there is a slight case of torque bind but that doesn't detract from the overall greatness of the car. It runs and drives super. I'm surprised that it handles as good as it does to be that tall. And I don't car what people say the 2.5 has enough power to run 70-75 all day long and not even break a sweat.

And my gosh does it look amazing!

This is my 1st Subaru, I've had it for five years, and it has been excellent. I have had to perform routine maintenance, and replace the fuel door cable, but the car is exceedingly easy to work on. I plan on keeping it forever.

I am just starting to get a little rust, and the clear coat is peeling in a few areas. As long as I can keep it mechanically sound, I'll be driving this car at least to work and back for years to come!!

Matt

Been driving my 95 LSi wagon for almost half a year now. Love it. Great car. My only other Subaru experience was a Subie wagon (80something--I don't even remember the model year) that my dad bought used when I was in high school. I actually took my driver's test in it. Didn't like driving it too much to school, though, because I was 16 and it was a station wagon. I remember thinking "those crazy Japenese designers" when I popped the hood for the first time and saw the spare tire resting inside the engine bay! It did have the 4WD lever, though, so I had fun telling dad I was going "driving around" and then go generic 4x4ing in the wagon down at the creek...

Anyway, my 95 wagon has 160,000 miles on it and it still runs smooth. The engine sounds and feels like a car with half the mileage. Only drivetrain complaint is a little bit of tranny vibration when I sit at a stop light, but I probably notice that more than anyone else. My wife rolls her eyes if I mention it. I love having a car with an engine that isn't "sideways" and the AWD is a blessing because I hate FWD cars with a passion. The little things I have done on the engine have been smooth--these are great cars for do-it-yourselfers. I had a little Honda a few years ago and I HATED working on that thing! Everything is easy to reach on the Sube. It runs smooth, handles well, hauls the family, and I expect to push 200,000 miles with it. The interior is really solidly put together--not a bunch of little things coming apart or breaking like most 10 year old cars. My only complaint is unimpressive gas mileage, but with everything else that's good, I can live with it I guess. When I get the rest of my student loans paid off, I plan to grab myself a Baja.

We've had our 2000 since 11/01, when we bought it with 99,850 miles already on it (in thirteen months). We got a killer deal 'cause the lot couldn't move it. We're now at 160,000+ miles, and the only non-sched repair was a front wheel bearing. This winter we drove to Polebridge, MT (over 30 miles) through 18" of unplowed snow. The guy at the general store couldn't believe it. He asked "Did the state plow already?" (it was still snowing like crazy). Now my wife want's it lifted 3", to make it easier to get in and out of ... or, she said I 'could' just buy her a new Outback.

I drive a '95 Legacy I bought off the board from Chicago. Had it up to 105 mph in Wyoming (about 03:00 hrs on I-90) and it was as smooth as butter, and at that speed felt like it was nailed to the road ... no aero-float at all. It's got about 135,000 and runs like a new car.

We were driving '87 GL wagons before, and in some ways I miss the rough & tumble of the 'Jap tractors', but nothing beats the AWD system and the comfort of modern Subarus for every day driving.

Got my '99 OBW in April of '03 with 42k. Am now at 86k and no problems other than very minor ones. I'm very impressed with the overall quality, fit and finish, and reliability of the car. Like many, I've been walking on eggshells hoping my head gaskets won't go, but other than that I don't have any serious complaints.

I'd originally thought of the OBW as a "poor man's Volvo", but given some of the stuff I've heard about Volvos lately, my next vehicle may be another OBW. I'd really like a truck, but there aren't any out there that would really want to own.

I'd really like a truck, but there aren't any out there that would really want to own.

I second and third that one ... I sure wish Subaru would build a light pick-up. Just move the backlight of the Baja up to just behind the front seats, beef up the suspension, and give me a straightforward, no-frills pickup bed.

Soneone did a beaut photoshgop of the truck Subaru should build.

While we're fantasizing, what I'd really like to see would be the return of the panel truck, but in a compact form.

Over in Europe, they have a class of vehicles called Car-Derived Vans. These are similar to sedan deliveries (anybody remember them?) but are based on compact FWD vehicles.

Ideally I'd like to see a mid-sized AWD CDV with decent ground clearance that was capable of functioning as either a passenger vehicle or as a small camper. A 1.8l Tdi engine would be economical and long lasting as well.

van1.jpg

This is a basic "cargo" CDV, but I have seen versions with windows on the side and passenger seats that folded flat. Add decent ground clearance, small turbo diesel and AWD and it would be the perfect vehicle for me.