Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Subie's last mechanic must have had a sense of humor (pic)....

LMAO!

I'm still chuckling over this one. I pulled my engine (1st time) to reseal and replace the clutch on my 87 GL Wagon, and noticed some writing on the inside of one of the timing belt covers.....after removing a couple layers of caked-on oil, I found this message:

1420Sorry_Sucker.JPG

I got the car with 60,000 miles, so I didn't expect it was opened up already. I did notice 4 dimples in the metal around the camshaft seals, with the burrs still hanging there (from some kind of seal puller?). Anyway, I just had sit down, pop a beer, and have a laugh when I saw that.

Mike.

Reminds me of a story I read in Car and Driver or one of "those" mags. Abbreviated version: Guy buys a new Buick in the 60s. It keeps making a rattling noise. He takes it back to the dealership, they can't figure it out. Owner of dealership offers the buyer the use of his personal car for the weekend while they figure out the rattle. Buyer goes camping with family and returns on Monday. Dealership mechanics found a Coke bottle in a rear quater panel with a note in it saying "rattles, don't it?"

That's awsome. I wrote "you poor soul" on the back side of the firewall behind the dash of my '87 wagon (and left a $1 bill attached) when I had the dash out to change a heater core. Suck part is, I'll prolly' be the one who sees it next:drunk: .

I got the idea from years ago when I pulled the fuel cell out of a turbine Commander 690. (multi-engine turbine airplane). (That job is a mother #^&%er)Someone wrote "you poor tormented soul" on the bulkhead behind the cell. Got a laugh out of it.

That's awsome. I wrote "you poor soul" on the back side of the firewall behind the dash of my '87 wagon (and left a $1 bill attached) when I had the dash out to change a heater core. Suck part is, I'll prolly' be the one who sees it next:drunk: .

Well thats one way of saving money

These are all pretty damn funny!

Now that I've got the engine back in and am ready to do the belts, I'm wondering if I should leave, add-on to, or remove the message that was left for me. Right now, I feel that the message was quite prophetic.

Mike.

Now that I've got the engine back in and am ready to do the belts, I'm wondering if I should leave, add-on to, or remove the message that was left for me. Right now, I feel that the message was quite prophetic.

Mike.

Add to it, and tape a few bucks in there as well for some 'beverages' for the hard work they just went thought :drunk:

Funny, I did a heater core/ac condenser on a 99 ford expedition.. wrote "Laugh, it could be worse" inside the box before I put it back together. It's a mechanic thing, one way of making each others life a little more pleasant. I've run into a good number of stuff like that. Like a 2.8 chevy that had an arrow and "this one knocks" engraved on the crank counterwieght pointing to the #4 rod journal, laughed for a while cause it was #2 that was knocking!

Hay im doing a complete rebuild on a Mazda MX 5 and it is a pain to get the timing covers off, so after reading this i got to thinking i should write something inside the covers what do you guys think and what should i write i was thinking someting along the lines of 'you poor poor son of a bi@#h" any ideas or sugestions?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
LMAO!

I'm still chuckling over this one. I pulled my engine (1st time) to reseal and replace the clutch on my 87 GL Wagon, and noticed some writing on the inside of one of the timing belt covers.....after removing a couple layers of caked-on oil, I found this message:

I got the car with 60,000 miles, so I didn't expect it was opened up already. I did notice 4 dimples in the metal around the camshaft seals, with the burrs still hanging there (from some kind of seal puller?). Anyway, I just had sit down, pop a beer, and have a laugh when I saw that.

Mike.

The dimples around the seal are to help hold the seals in. More than likely the seals popped out of the housing (like they so often do) and the displaced material by the dimples sort of crimp the seal and persuade it to stay where it belongs.