Ultimate Subaru Message Board

figure out this cooling problem and i'll give you 50 cents

can a new water pump not have enough output? anyway to check? i'm thinking about starting two XT6's up side by side with the coolant cap or hose removed and see if they have the same volume.

here's the details:

XT6 running hotter than normal.

brand new water pump

new serpentine belt, pulley spins fine.

no coolant leaks.

heater blows hot.

new thermostat.

removed thermostat

hard wired fan to stay on.

swapped in another radiator.

still running hot?

i was wondering that, but i'm almost positive it's overheating. it gradually climbs up and goes down when i start the car or turn the heat on and goes up further on hot days than cool days...seems linear and all. and it also seems to have gotten worse, so it sounds like a cooling issue of some sort. the gauge is very consistent and giving expected results giving driving conditions, etc. so i don't think it's the gauge. any easy way to check?

which sender gives the temperature to the gauge? i'll swap temp senders. i see one in the radiator and one in the motor (under the intake manifold). i figure one turns the fans on and one is for the gauge??

doubtful you scored 50 cents, but i hope you did!

thanks!

no bubbles in the overflow tank. doubtful it's air in the system as i've never had problems like this before and i've worked on about a zillion XT6's. okay, maybe 10.

who wants my 50 cents?

and kevin, what IS that picture anyway?

random?

you deserve 50 cents, but NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE RIGHT!! well, not yet anyway. wait, i got the car with me at work tonight maybe i'll go check if i have a flashlight.

the only reason i don't suspect that is that i'm not having any charging problems either. is it possible for cooling to suffer but charging okay?

i recall the pulley spinning at what seemed to be reasonable speed at idle. i'll have another look though, i was'nt really thinking about the crank pulley issue, just noticed the water pump spinning when i looked for leaks. didn't think of this one, nice call Turbone!!! i owe you a pepsi. the wife and i do want to go out west!

NOW WHO WANTS THIS FIFTY CENTS!!!!

i've always taken cooling issues with a grain of salt because they are typically so simple - water pump radiator, caps, fans, tstat and not much else to it. now i'm stumped.

don't know about clogging - need to figure out a way to check that, got some ideas.

ignition timing, car runs great and i've never messed with it. i'll check timing tomorrow and see if the bolts are all tight.

TURBONE - i marked the crank pulley tonight and cranked it up and nothing moved but i didn't drive it anywhere either, just idled it and revved it a bit. i'll check it tomorrow after i start my ride home. if it's only slipping a little, it might only slip once it heats up or is under load, high speed or something. if it slipped alot it would probably be more noticeable and actually overheat.

Are you haveing a water loss issue? Does the exhaust have a sweet smell to it? And is the water alittle darker than normal? You are tossing aside one of the big Subaru overheating root causes.... someone over heated it in the past and popped a headgasket or two. Personally I would use a block tester on it to check for signs of HC's in the coolant. A compression check isn't always going to turn up a problem. I've had a number of rigs that ran just fine, but just plain overheated. Checked for HC's in the coolant and bingo. This is including my ER27 thats in my Brat, had popped HG's when I got it. Overheated like nothing I've seen before, ran perfect though. And the cooling system was all new, to include a jeep 4.0HO radiator.

Guess what I'm rambling at, unless you know for dead certain that the HG's are pristine (like you just changed them recently), then I would at least check it out.

no leakage. no coolant loss. no wetness out of exhaust at start up or otherwise. no antifreeze out of the exhaust. typical head gasket leaks i have seen in the past will actually run fine and won't run hot until it looses some coolant.

haven't done a compression test yet.

Are you 100% sure you used the correct mix of coolant/water, wrong mix = wrong cooling characteristics...

I am kinda new to the sube world (had my 85 brat for 2 months already) but I am trying to learn all the nuances of the monster but I had a 302 equipped ford that a previous owner was running straight coolant in that ran super hot until I drained and re-serviced with 50/50 mix.

i am having the exact same problem as he is and i just put a new raditor and thermostat in my xt-6 mine is not over heating but it seems to get hotter than it should with a brand new raditor,

compression tests at 120 all cylenders no coolent loss except a teaspoon evrey 2-5 weeks leaky bolt on the pump no big deal

drove 60 miles today and the crank pulley mark never moved, so the crank pulley is fine, but nice call though.

it did this with all antifreeze, all water and mixed. makes no difference.

thermostat - don't know i think it was a stock 195 but i took it out and it still does the exact same thing!??!!

today i figured i'd test the original radiator that i removed when i suspected it was causing the problems. took that original radiator that was suspect and put it in one of my other XT6's (that motor has brand new everything, gaskets, seals, water pump, thermostat, blah blah blah)....and what happened? same thing...it was running a bit hot. no crap? so maybe it's that i had two bad radiators??? which is strange since i've never had a bad radiator except one that leaked...never had one before that couldn't cool enough. and i don't ever recall that radiator running hot in the car it used to be in, but that was over 2 years ago so who knows.

i'm thinking it's the radiator so i'll try a third (KNOWN GOOD) one and see what happens.

thanks for the help and the courageous effort for my 50 cents. you all deserve it, it's been fun!