Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tribeca Review Gets Auto Reviewer Fired

Farago isn't a Chron employee, according to the info about him, but a correspondent (freelance contributor). How could he get fired?

Ok, he didn't get fired; he got an e-mail that said "Effective immediately, The San Francisco Chronicle will no longer be using your automotive columns."

He was pretty harsh on the design of the STi and it's interior, which in truth is pretty damn good and a lot better than subarus used to be. I don't agree with him on a lot of his statements on both cars.

I understand and agree, but I do love this statement: "And then there’s the small matter of the rump, where some Suba-guru epoxied a park bench to the decklid".

Perhaps Subaru is an ad client of the chron. Money talks

But the author is right, it's an ugly car. It reminds me of an Edsel from the front. And I've heard that described in very similar terms.

Which makes me wonder: since it costs 10s of millions to tool up to make a new car, why are there any ugly cars. It doesn't make sense, all the approvals, red tape, etc. that have to be passed to get to the point where you build a production car. Doesn't someone at a car manufacturer (besides ferrari, posche, lambo.. ) have any sense of asthetics? Most cars on the road today are pitiful, and there is no excuse. It costs the same to make a stylish car as an ugly one. What the h*** are they thinking???

Oh well..

and for that matter the BMW Z4. There are some timeless shapes out there in auto land, and there are some that could stop a clock.

There was a period where it seemed that I liked most Subaru designs. I hope my Forester will hold out until they make something I like again.

Honestly, I would dump the guy too if I were the editor. If you can't comment about something without referring to human sexual organs then you are a very poor writer and shouldn't be employed as one. But he is right. The first thing that popped into my head when I first sawt he B9 was "You would think they never heard of a focus group."

Personally, I could care less how he describes the nose of the car, and no female reproductive anatomy I've ever seen looks a thing like that. If anything, the front and rear both copy current Alfa-Romeo design, which in my eyes isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What's a real shame is that there's a great chassis under there that he's not doing justice to in his review. No, you can't chuck it around like a WRX - but think tall Legacy and you're not far off. I liked it; it's just a shame that reviewers (or Subaru) can't figure out that it's not an SUV and it's not a minivan. This is a crossover like the Pacifica, and a damned good one at that.

Improve the headlights (throw's too short, even on high), make the software for the transmission more performance-biased, and swap out those red-illuminated buttons for some green or blue ones and we'll be on the right track.

... " “Tribeca”. That's the hipster's sobriquet for the New York City neighborhood in the “TRIangle BElow CAnal street”. It's the 'hood where artists sell “challenging” work for outrageous prices. " ....

That about sums up anything I would ever want to say about the B9.

Well, as I've said before, the Tribeca is the answer to the question: "What ever happened to the idiot who designed the Pontiac Aztek after he got fired from GM?" Now we know: The answer is he went to work for Subaru and designed the only vehicle in the world uglier than an Aztek.

And yes, I've seen it in person, and it's utterly revolting. It's also overpriced. I can get a Lexus or BMW for the same price as this hideous POS. Why would I buy a Subaru?

Oh, and it's ugly. Did I say that already? Or did I mean "Fugly"?

I can't believe this was designed by the same company that designed the gorgeous 2005 Outback.

I can get a Lexus or BMW for the same price as this hideous POS. Why would I buy a Subaru?

really? a tribeca starts in the low 30's. an rx330 starts around 40k. a loaded tribeca w/ nav and dvd (38k) is still cheaper than a typical X3 3.0 w/o nav and dvd (42k).

anyway getting back to the thread, I don't think the writer should have been fired. he wrote it as he saw it. I don't find the word "vagina" offensive. what if he said the front reminded him of a georgia o keeffe painting... would it be any less offensive?

Guest Vickaroo

So did they fire the Editor as well.... Because it is the editor that has to approve the writtings before they go to print. I for one could care less what this writer thinks about any car, because by his writtings he's not a very "swift" person. Who knows maybe he can wash dishes better then being a writer. I hear they can always use a good dish washer somewhere... Then he can compare the left food to all the "vaginas" he wants. :lol: What a moron!!!!! Vicky

Even the local autowriter here had a mixed opinion about it, http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-sstom4416149sep09,0,7638810.column .

Everyone seems to agree that the looks is something only a mother can love, barely.

"The B9's styling is pleasing, except for the nose, which is, shall we say, controversial at least. Subaru says it's meant to evoke the aircraft that its parent company, Fuji, builds.

Anyway, at least it's distinctive, and so is the dashboard, where central controls are arranged semi-elliptically so that the dash seems constantly to be smiling at everyone inside. Controls on the dash and steering column are well marked and easy to locate day or night, and the electroluminescent gauges are as attractive as they are legible"

The reveiwer that got fired is really harsh and a pompus rump roast. Sounds like the only thing he would like is a Bentley, and god forbid if his tea isnt the exact temperture while driving the Bentley. I mean lets be real, who names their radar detector.

Like i said before, i care more about the inside then i do the outside :) .

Now if they would just fix that damn stero issue.

nipper

Well, I would have "fired" him too. If you cannot write a description without numerous anatomical references (particularly ones meant to be unflattering), you really do not have the vocab ulary to be a reviewer. His review on the STi was mixed. He seems to hate any design put out by Subaru these days, and he only appreciates cars with lots of performance.

I agree on some points, but would not use the language he used in a public forum (if you are writing for a newspaper, then it is among the most public of forums). Granted the styling on the B9 takes some getting used to, but I have never bought a Subaru for it's styling. I buy them for what is under that skin. He is right that the TCU needs to be reprogrammed for more performance, and the looks of the center console did not offend me at all. My biggest complaint on the console area is that it is designed to only accept Dealer provided stereo options, and those thend to be way too expensive for what you get. Other than that, I find the console area to be very sleek. as for seven pasengers, this car is fine as long as at least two of the passengers are small kids (12 and under) so they can sit in the back seats. That the center seats recline makes this a fairly comfortable car for the first five passengers. . .

So do I like the car or not? Yes, I like it, except that there are a few things I would have done differently.

Well, who here has ever thought about speaking up against a new idea championed by the bosses? and risk being fired or not considered for thier next promotion while having a family to feed? As bad as many ideas are they get ramrodded by high paid consultants, managers, six-sigma experts and marketing experts and out on to the market place. Regardless of what I think of the Tribeca, I have never been afraid to voice my opinion to my employer(s) but see many smart, educated, experienced people afraid to rock the boat. And the experts can be dead wrong-anyone remember the "New Coke"?

Perhaps Subaru is an ad client of the chron. Money talks

But the author is right, it's an ugly car. It reminds me of an Edsel from the front. And I've heard that described in very similar terms.

Which makes me wonder: since it costs 10s of millions to tool up to make a new car, why are there any ugly cars. It doesn't make sense, all the approvals, red tape, etc. that have to be passed to get to the point where you build a production car. Doesn't someone at a car manufacturer (besides ferrari, posche, lambo.. ) have any sense of asthetics? Most cars on the road today are pitiful, and there is no excuse. It costs the same to make a stylish car as an ugly one. What the h*** are they thinking???

Oh well..

many smart, educated, experienced people afraid to rock the boat. And the experts can be dead wrong-anyone remember the "New Coke"?

I'm certain that the fiasco surrounding the introduction of the "new Coke" resulted in marketing morons being fired anyway. I'm betting none of the 'formulists' got canned -no pun intended- and rightly so.

One can only hope that marketing morons at Subaru are being replaced. Don't blame the designers.

I don't know why they just didn't approve of a 2-1/2 foot rear wing on top of it. Remember the Dodge Daytona? Huh? That was cool.

Juan

I'm certain that the fiasco surrounding the introduction of the "new Coke" resulted in marketing morons being fired anyway. I'm betting none of the 'formulists' got canned -no pun intended- and rightly so.

I 'spose if it was known at the time by the public-at-large that the whole "New Coke" fiasco was nothing more than a media advertising "gimmick" designed to divert the public's attention away from the replacement of refined sugar in the "Real Coke's" ingredients, with cheaper (and more deadly) high fructose corn syrup, the "marketing morons" probably would've been hanged by the neck for ignorant complicity of public murder by way of the resultant mass-obesity. :confused:

One can only hope that marketing morons at Subaru are being replaced. Don't blame the designers.

Well, replacements ARE being allowed to flood-in over the open Mexican-American border as I write this. They'll gladly do the same job for half the money. :banghead:

I don't know why they just didn't approve of a 2-1/2 foot rear wing on top of it. Remember the Dodge Daytona? Huh? That was cool.

How do you know they didn't? :lol: