Ultimate Subaru Message Board

security questions....ideas

so some jack....rabbit....stole my CDdeck (with a brand-new CD, that I don't have ripped to computer :banghead: ), and did it by ripping it out of the dash.

SO, I wanna do 2 things

1) hide the replacement deck...when I can afford one...I'm thinking in the glovebox somehow...any ideas? anyone done something like this?

2) wire some floodlights on my parking area to my dome light, with a little wiring harness in the grill or something (like a block heater). so if that harness is plugged in, and the doors are opened, the lights come on...my dad suggested putting a motion sensor in the car, but this would be a bit easier..I think. Question is: Anyone know where the wire for the switched dome lights, preferrably down under the dash somewhere. so I can tap into this, and send the power to a relay outside the car somehow...any ideas on this?

I'm really p/o'd about this, and I wanna try to make sure this doesn't happen again. I also like the idea of leaving the car open, and using other methods to keep people out/away, so they don't have to break a window to realize they don't want anything out of my car!

Any other ideas?

I Used the face off of an original stereo off of a 1970 cutlass and resesed the cd player and the original face plate just flips down and the cd player is right there. but you can also rig some stuff up to do damage to the person breaking into the car. But you have to remeber its there so you dont hurt yourself.

That would be cool to have a hidden deck and just some wires hanging out of the dash.

That reminds me of an old SNL skit that had this junker of a car from the out side, but posh on the inside so that crooks would not give it a secound look.

Sorry to hear about your deck.

-=fred=-

Get a face plate for some really crappy old radio that no one wants (broken buttons, dust, cracked display, etc, and leave that one on there when parked. Put the good one in the glove compartment. I've known a few people who did this.

Another idea is you can rig up a circuit with a spare ignition coil that will keep the whole frame of the car at 20,000 volts. I know people who make fence chargers for cattle this way, and they'll easily run several days on a small battery. This is not really safe for random passersby, but any theif would get what he deserved.

it had a detachable face, they just dug through my stuff to find the face...I think a nice clean black dash, with a little electrical connector, and cd slot is just as obvious nowadays as a nice radio

I've though about the recessed deck thing, but the whole isn't deep enough anyway, the adapter already sticks out an inch or so to keep the radio from hitting the vents in the back (which I'm not cutting into)

I've thought about a number of differnent booby traps...but I want them to get the hint before they start ripping into the car, that's the biggest bummer here, the damage they did to my dash/wiring (well, and the cd). I like the flood lights wired to the dome light best, since I live on a hill overlooking Lake Superior, ALL of the houses above me have huge picture windows facing towards my house, if those lights went on, it would get someones attention, chances are, if there was someone in my car, they'd get noticed...now!

I also want to leave the gaping hole in the dash, maybe even the hole where they ripped one of my toggle switches out (I don't really need it, I've deiceded to use DPDT instead of 2 SPDT). that way the car looks less appealing in the first place.

I had a nice deck in my old Buick. Took some strap metal and screwed it in. Stupid thieves didnt figure it out; but they still screwed up a bunch of stuff trying to get it :(

My KIA has a cheap deck. Detachable face and I take it with me out of the vehicle. Doubt many ppl are looking for phat loot in a KIA Rio anyway :-p

Jeep guy did this one: Razor blades JB welded to the back of your deck ;)

Don't get yourself in trouble.. electrocuting someone would be "their fault" and I know I'd like to do it, but you'd end up in trouble because the punishment is too severe for the crime.

The floodlight idea is good, but you could just put a motion sensor on the floodlight itself. Most thieves will just turn right around and leave if a light goes on. If you want to have the car trigger it, I understand though, because the thief would realize that his action caused the light to go on.

You could also put a starving rottweiler in the car at night ;)

The problem is that you end up with biohazard in your car!

It's not biohazard, it's evidence!

My roomate had two CD players stolen in a month....she quit parking on the street. A deck that comes with a remote would be handy if you're installing it out of reach. Maybe you could put it under you glovebox so the glovebox was still useable

Don't get yourself in trouble.. electrocuting someone would be "their fault" and I know I'd like to do it, but you'd end up in trouble because the punishment is too severe for the crime.

That too...

problem with just a motion sensor...I have one on the back of the house, and it's on ALL the time, there are so many squirrels, rabbits, and a skunk, that they set it off all the time.

a flood light set to turn on when they touch the car would be slick.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find an alarm system that activates 'something' when you touch the car, and modify it to turn on your lights. Would want a timer of course to turn it off after a while.

Would also make it a lot easier to find the right key at night :lol:

I lost track here but did anyone answer your ques. about the wires to the dome light? If I remember correctly (been a bunch of years) the wires run down the a-pillar on the drivers side. I tapped into them back in the day for my alarm system.

I really like the razorblades though.... thinking.:brow:

you know my friend had a jeep once that had a remote alarm. when it went off it paged you and you could come out with a baseball bat and "serve justice" he did too once or twice. :D

when rigging up traps and such....like razorblades....you could get into trouble when someone tries to steal it and gets hurt....unless of course you get a sticker or somewhere on the vehicle not a release of liability....like get a sticker mad to put above the deck saying something like....not liable for extreme bodily harm to anyone handaling any components of this vehicle without permission from the owner. I have also like what one of my friends dad did...he just made sure he stuck plenty of large NRA stickers in plain view on his vehicle and stuck a gunrack on the back and tossed a few empty bullet casings in the floorboards and some empty amoo boxes in the back....kind of turns off a few theives when they know they are stealing from some crazy gun nut (even if you dont even own a single gun)...*shrugs*...just a couple suggestions...personally am going to try and set up one of the movement sensor systems through a pulsing (flashing) switch through my fog lights as well as get one of those orange rotating/flashing lights (like construction crews use), and also even some intereor neons as well. Am also planning on getting a nice air horn set up and maybe try to rig it through there as well... SOMEONE will notice.

I lost track here but did anyone answer your ques. about the wires to the dome light? If I remember correctly (been a bunch of years) the wires run down the a-pillar on the drivers side. I tapped into them back in the day for my alarm system.

w00t!! finally..some information I can use! Thanks!

sorry, but I've already decided what I want to do, I don't want to buy an alarm (I can't even afford to replace the deck...yet), I'm not rigging anything to go off when you touch the car, or a motion light...I don't want an animal to be able to set it off. I'm not using booby traps of any kind, I want this to be something that deters them before any damage is done. if there are razor blades on the back of my deck, my dash still would've been destroyed...

OK...unless someone knows exactly what color, or what connector the dome light wire is in the a-pillar, I'm just interested in ideas for mounting the deck in my glovebox. I haven't had time to get in there and taken anything apart yet, so I just want some info from someone who's been in there recently, or (preferrably) someone who's done this.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I DO appreciate the ideas, but I've thought of some variation of virtually everything mentioned so far, and ruled it out.

Thanks!

THere are a couple of housings made for roof and under dash mounting in cars that don't have in-dash provisions for a stereo. If you don't want to do that, you could very easily just fab up a plate in the glove box to carry your stereo. ONly gotcha to that is heat. Lots of modern decks make LOTS of heat, so you'll want to keep an eye on that. If you have a problem, you can punch some holes and/or add a fan to keep things cool. NOt terribly hard to do, nor is it uncommon.

Jeep guy did this one: Razor blades JB welded to the back of your deck ;)

ouch!!! man that sucks about your stereo gettin jacked :-\ i have a detchable face plate, and i take it with me wherever i go. Maybe if you put in a alarm system that might help? maybe you could wire up a motion senser to the alarm system? well, you would have to be careful where you aimed it, because if say a cat outside walked by, it might go off.

I got to looking at the glove box in my RX. Looks like you might be able to cut part of the top out of it, then fab in a small enclosure to hold your new stereo. You can just use ABS plastic. Relatively cheap, really easy to work with. Use some CA glue on the joints (unless you have a plastic welder) and it should be good to go. Just make sure you give the stereo some room to breathe or it will cook itself. Also, make sure that you bundle your wires properly, becuase they will bind and chaffe. Also, most stereos have a small bolt on the back so that they can be secured by the normal factory means (i.e. the Ford rail). However, theres no reason why you couldn't use that little bolt to attach some strapping so that the radio is secured to the car from the back side as well as the front side. You could also use some ABS to enclose the space where the stereo is supposed to be. Maybe mount some guages or a CB there. Good luck

Chux... I feel your pain. I've had my wagon broken into twice now, and my RX once.

First time they got my entire system, second time they just got a POS cd player. In the RX they got my box and sub.

Now, I've done something you may be interested in, however pictures speak however many words. I'm gonna shoot some pictures for you to look at. It will help inspire you.

For cheap alarms, check www.millionbuy.com Thats where I got my Crimestopper alarm from. At the sametime I also pilfered a factory set of power door locks from Danbob's parts car. Combined, its one great combination. I can always gaurantee the doors are locked, and the little red blinking light helps deter the kids and tweakers looking for an easy in and out job. I know you said you didn't want one, but I figured I'd give you as much information as I had.

The site also has really good pricing on some decks, and speakers, etc... I've purchased from them several times, and have had excellent service.

Also, I thought the dome light wires went down the passenger side. I'll double check in Danbob's wagon when I get home, his headliner is out. I'll also give you the wire colors, but his is an '89...

Don't hesitate to send me a PM for any wiring help, remind me to get pictures, etc... Real life gets in the way sometimes and I forget about threads.

Chin Up!

Thanks tex!!! That'd be a big help!

thanks scoobywagon too. That's virtually what I was thinking, but you had some other good ideas I can use.

I'm actually thinking of mounting it so it doesn't move, maybe even cut a piece of the dash above the glovebox out, and hinge it up, and mount the radio behind that, I dunno, one of these days I'll get under there and look at it, right after I put the seats in....(tex, I understand the hectic life! don't sweat it)

I have my cd player in my '81 in the glovebox, fits fine in ea81 cars without A/C, not sure about ea82 cars.

I just made some L shaped steel brackets that hung the deck off the top of the glovebox by its sides. Works well, would be better if that particular head unit had a remote!