Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how many miles does your Ej22 have??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 96 with approx 125,000 miles. Never had any major problems. No oil leaks or things like that. I wish it had more power sometimes. I think now that it has 125000 miles, it is time to try the bolt-on supercharger idea that I saw Reddevil try.

Seriously, though, I can see this engine getting past 300 000 miles if the rest of the car will stay together. (I live in road-salt laden upstate NY.)

I change the oil every 3-5000 miles with name brand or generic 5W-30 oil, and usually Purolator plus filters. I try to change the air filter once a year or two.

I changed the timing belt, oil seals and water pump at 109,000 miles.

Matt D

I've got 243 000 km on mine, I suppose about 152 000 miles. Put on almost 26 000 km since last year already. Engine runs great, tranny starting to show some intermittent torque bind (solenoid c prob), replaced the ghastly air suspension, balljoints, some exhaust work in the works. Belt started squealing tonight. Great. New wipers all around (reflex type, expensive!). Recent rotors and brakes. New rear struts.

Body in fair condition, some rust. Not suprising here though.

I love her. She has problems. But I love her.

My 94 EJ22T has about 101,000mi on it. Runs strong, seems tight, and so far doesn't use a drop of oil.

My buddy's 94 ej222t had just a hair under 300k miles on it when it went to the junkyard with a failing 4eat. motor was still great too. sad times.

305,000 miles, it's a 97 Postal Legacy wagon. First motor made 288,000 miles and was doing good but I let one of the idle pully's come apart and valves and pistons got together. In the Subaru drive magazine a few years back they told about one that some salesperson had with around 500,000 miles on it, I dont remember the exact number.

2035802_12.jpg

Well, I got as far at 135,000 miles until the head gasket conked out. But I attribute the failure to a crappy no-name waterpump that led to the overheating condition and not the block itself.

Further, the first 60,000 miles of was hard service towing a jetski (or two) around and many, many trips to Lake Tahoe (4 hours drive, 8 hours ski, 4 hours drive).

2035802_2.jpg

So this engine served honorably......now if it wasn't for all the other crap attached to the engine (wheel bearings, alternator, diff seal, rant, rant, rant....)

185K miles on mine (I should probably update the sig sometime soon), and is sure as spit does not feel like it has high miles. . . Will still break 110MPH, and I just pulled a 416 mile tank on 13 gals of gas. . .(OK, I was going 65-70MPH then)

I had two 95's with 2.2's

One automatic and one manual

I sold one to my sister with 141,000 and the automatic with 146,000to a subie lover who answered the ad for the other.

Both ran great. My sisters blows a little oil though when starting up. Other than that, 30 mpg still she reports.

My 2.5 engine has 152,000, but has recently been out of the car for a HG repair.

I'll bet both 2.2's won't suffer the same fate.

91 FWD MT Legacy-just changed oil at 257,548 miles. Still going strong, of course have done some work on car since 110k when I bought it-nothing to the engine itself except preventative-timing belts, water pump, oil change, plugs,PCV valve and did replace Valve cover gaskets.

Is my wife's daily driver, hope to keep blowing and going in it for a while.....