Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This would be AWSOME!! Ultimate offroader!!

LiftedHatchSubie

I dunno... i've seen some crazy stuff w/ tracks before... Derrick, the Parishville rescue squad has a 4wheeler.... with mattracks on it, and it's rediculous the stuff they do w/ it

they also have a gear reduction in them i believe... so you even lower range :brow:

They suck in Mud, and water. Good for sand, snow, etc. Useless for rock crawling, or racing (no good for high speed). And you need an almost limitless power pack to turn them effectively (V8's and V10's are good)

Oh - by all means try it out - you'll need some investors to fork out the $25,000 for a set.

The problem is they have very bad aproach angles to them. They are mostly designed to spread the weight of the vehicle on highly unstable sufaces. They are excelent for what they were designed for - snow mostly. Some folks use them in sand, but really that just chews the heck out of them. If this was such a great system, you would see the army putting them on H1's. Why do you suppose they got rid of the halftrack? Couple reasons - unreliable, too slow, too heavy, and just plain not as effective for varried terrain. Heck - even our armored personel carriers are wheeled now. We still have a few tracked small vehicles - mostly for arctic equipped units tho.

(Tanks are another story - much like a dozer, 46 tons of DU plate and 150mm cannon are just too much for anything inflatable..... they aren't unstoppable - they get stuck quite a bit..... and BOY is that a mess :rolleyes:)

GD

What about the ones they make for ATV's? They aren't as tall and heavy as the truck ones. I saw a polairs ranger 6X6 with tracks follow an argo with tracks through some thick stuff, no water, up here in AK. These might work but what do I know, I still have a stock Loyale wagon with 25" tires on it with a 3sp. :lol:

These trax can go anywhere...check out the site.:headbang:

http://www.mattracks.com/html/105_series_.htm

As for bad approach...check out the video titled "Rough Terrain":grin:

http://www.mattracks.com/html/video_clips.htm

I've been reading up on this company and thier products...I think they'd be awsome for a subaru. ~~Lucas

too bad the smallest ones for "trucks" add 1300 pounds to your vehicle. The "Litefoot" for atvs would be nice to adapt to a Subaru, I think. With a weight of ~100 pounds per track, they wouldn't be too heavy. However, with a Recommended Max. GVW of 2,500 pounds.. it might not be strong enough, unless you use some weight reduction techniques? And with a ~max speed of 40 mph.. you could probably crawl just about anywhere in low range. I can see pros and cons.. definately a lot more beneficial if you lived in snow etc..

Edit: You know you wish you could drive up a 22" curb or over a 12" round log (telephone pole)

Edit #2: I had to do this... You know you love it:

RX.jpg

Mattracks is based out of northern MN. I've seen many vehicles with those equipped on them running offroad. They actually have a pretty serious 'gear' reduction to them. That's why they don't do so hot in mud, they need to be moving faster than that, they also don't exactly have an MT design to them.

And because of their upper size, they can have the effect of big tires, without needing the fender clearance.

these would actually be perfect for a trail-only subaru. but because they're not streetable, and they don't make them for a subaru, they just don't make sense.

GD....I'm interested in where you got your info....sounds like you know what you're talking about, but it completely contradicts what I've seen and heard :confused: