Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Toy... (56k < ej20)

I suspect the powers steering pump as a source of the high whine, since it had been run so low on fluid it is entirely possible that the pump is toasted, that and the movement in the pully... does it still move llike that? i don't remember seeing it the last time i was looking at it...

I suspect the powers steering pump as a source of the high whine, since it had been run so low on fluid it is entirely possible that the pump is toasted, that and the movement in the pully... does it still move llike that? i don't remember seeing it the last time i was looking at it...

that would do it. my '94 legacy made horrible whining sounds, then my uncle cut the alt/PS belt (it was crap anyway) and it went away. turned out to be the PS pump

I was going to say that too. IIRC, the whine modulated a little when you tried to turn the wheel in the driveway. Not enough to be sure, but I remember thinking to myself that it was the Power Steering causing that noise.

Yes, the PS whine's a touch, but that IS NOT the source of the noise i'm talking about.

I think it is a very slight rubbing of the downpipe on the tranny cross member causing a high frequency rattle sound.

High idle when warm seems to be fixed by some tuning on the Haltech.

Just installed the Perrin EBCS so maybe I can finally control the amount of boost I get.

Looks nice, whats the full mod list for those of us that don't know this cars history (like myself).

Also, how hard is it to find an RX? And what should I expect to pay. Thanks!

-Matt

Search

Search

Come on man... Just because you have a 3 letter board name does not give you the right to be an A$$.

Mod List:

'87 RX w/ JDM Legacy EJ20G

Haltech E6K Standalone EM

USDM Legacy 4.11 gearbox and viscous LSD

XT6 5 lug conversion

Cobb 3" Cast bellmouth downpipe w/ High flow cat

3" exhaust with Flow Pro muffler

Perrin EBCS

High output fuel pump

Boost gauge

Fancy grabby clutch (hydrolic)

RX's are a somewhat rare car. I would expect to find them in the 1k - 2.5k range. Depending on mileage, rust, etc...

I imagine this will smog like any pre-OBDII car in WA state. Drive in, have the sniffer stuck in the tail pipe, hold at 2500 rpms, and pass!

And given that it has the Haltech, I'll be able to tune it pass, or atleast thats the thought...

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

ok lets say i would like to have an rx. was not at the top of my list. then i saw this one. went from middle of this list shot striaght to the top. bumped my truck out of first place. that is a really nice car. yes the rx is rare. so finding one is very frustrating. now i live in florida so mutiply that by ten:banghead: . found one but cant afford to buy the car fly to washington state then pay the gas to drive it back:lol: . dont need motel money would sleep in the car.:eek: drive it love it oh yeah congrats man.

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

ok lets say i would like to have an rx. was not at the top of my list. then i saw this one. went from middle of this list shot striaght to the top. bumped my truck out of first place. that is a really nice car. yes the rx is rare. so finding one is very frustrating. now i live in florida so mutiply that by ten:banghead: . found one but cant afford to buy the car fly to washington state then pay the gas to drive it back:lol: . dont need motel money would sleep in the car.:eek: drive it love it oh yeah congrats man.

Was the one in washington being sold by Andrew, aka thesubeguy? Cause that one used to be mine... its a nice car :grin:

he he sweet

i heard of this at a meet that car is freaking awsome:headbang:

Probably heard it form me:D I remember when Corky owned this car. I also remember when it changed hands but no one will release the board member's name. Are we allowed to know this info now that your own it Tex?

Probably heard it form me:D I remember when Corky owned this car. I also remember when it changed hands but no one will release the board member's name. Are we allowed to know this info now that your own it Tex?

Thats probably up to the previous owner:D

carfreak85 I have loved that car for years and I'm upset that I passed on it when it was first up for sale... That being said, what was the big secrecy involved with the last owner? Why didn't they do a lick of work on it?

If it was such a big secrecy, what makes you think there was no work done to it?

Btw, I wasnt the PO of this car.

Minor update... Finally got the Perrin EBCS working. For use with the Haltech it needs to be in BLEED mode, not the other fast response mode you would use with a UTEC or stock WRX ECU.

The car pulls hard to 15-16psi, in all gears. I've dialed it back to about 8psi for now. I still need to throw my wideband on it and see where I'm running before I really want to start running high boost.

Also I've identified some of the "frieght train" noises. The biggest being the 14" steels the PO put on the car so it could roll, hit the back plates! Just ever so slightly, but enough to make a metal on metal scraping sound.

I'm also getting a high pitched whine/squeel from the clutch/transmission area. I'm thinking either the TOB or the pilot bearing. Noise usually stops when I put the clutch to the floor, but I noticed this morning that is not always true.

I've also become aware the clutch movement is a little notchy... I'm guessiing somewhere in the linkage or throwout arm its lost its lube from sitting so long.

For those that don't like reading, I'll sum it up in: WOOOOOOOT!!!!!

The Perrin EBCS has 3 ports. 2 on one side (labeled Ports 2, and 3), and Port 1 on the opposite side.

When installing, Port 1 goes to the wastegate. Now, depending on how you want the solenoid to work (which mode) you connect the turbo side to either Port 2, or Port 3.

Port 2 is Fast Response - Interrupt Mode, Port 3 is Bleed mode.

Fast Response - Interrupt Mode operates by modulating the pressure going to wastegate very rapidly at vary rates of speed to achieve the target boost.

Bleed mode operates by bleeding the pressure off, preventing the wastegate from seeing it until you achieve target boost. (this is like 90% of stock control systems)

Depending on what system you are using to drive the solenoid you use one of the 2 different modes.

The Haltech is setup for Bleed type boost control solenoids. It would not boost higher than wastegate on the other port.

Well last night I got to see my child and hear it run, then follow it to a resturant to get dinner. I'm glad to see it running, and glad to hear that it is living up to my expectations. There is one correction though, it is a JDM Legacy tranny, not a USDM. Part of me wanted to drive it, another said 'no', it's not really street legal yet (running on 2003 plates). I reminded Tex last night that if anything happens, like a parking ticket or he gets a ticket, I am still the registered owner (yep, the title never got transfered in last sell), so I will probably get a ticket of something. Anyway, I'll try to find the title and we can get that taken care of.

Well...

I just wanna say that I LOVE THAT SUBIE!!! thmf_w00t1.gif

it is Very Nice, and with the EJ Engine on it is just like One of my Dreams came True, I Always wanted a Subie Just like That, in everything, including engine, I like All... Except for the Rims.

Do you plan to put on it Newer Rims, Right? I Suggest a Big Chromed ones, like my Yellow Wagon:

SubaruAmarillo015.jpg

Maybe you dislike those kind of Rims, but I choose them ´cos they are too hard enough to survive the Horrible Roads of my Beautyful Country, Honduras... They are Hard, shiny and not too expensive; Made in U.S.A. (Don´t Remember the Brand yet...)

I just wanna say that I love your Car, Congratulations, and please, post more Images of it as long as you made any progress on it.

080402cool_prv.gif

Good Luck!

that actually looks rathr cool, reminds me of a rally car ive seen somewhere.

Well...

I just wanna say that I LOVE THAT SUBIE!!! thmf_w00t1.gif

it is Very Nice, and with the EJ Engine on it is just like One of my Dreams came True, I Always wanted a Subie Just like That, in everything, including engine, I like All... Except for the Rims.

Do you plan to put on it Newer Rims, Right? I Suggest a Big Chromed ones, like my Yellow Wagon:

SubaruAmarillo015.jpg

Maybe you dislike those kind of Rims, but I choose them ´cos they are too hard enough to survive the Horrible Roads of my Beautyful Country, Honduras... They are Hard, shiny and not too expensive; Made in U.S.A. (Don´t Remember the Brand yet...)

I just wanna say that I love your Car, Congratulations, and please, post more Images of it as long as you made any progress on it.

080402cool_prv.gif

Good Luck!

• 1 year later...